plans for cam grinder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good post Blogs. With buying the motor, bearings, chain and sprockets, I had 150+ in mine plus many hours of labor and I have only made 6 cams in about the last 4 years. Sits on a bench with a plastic tarp over it to protect it from dust and swarf. ironman

Issue #21 of Model Engine Builder has started a series called "A Series on Cam and Master Design and Grinding" by Carl Wilson. Looks to be interesting and easy to do.

Bernd

ohhh ok
so hmmmm
is that just the one your using bernd or is that what everone else is asking for??

I have just been thru this whole post and noticed just how many 'I wants' came out of the woodwork and joined just to get hold of these plans. Never a word from them since.

Seeing as it was myself, many moons ago, that started giving out these plans to the members, and sent out dozens of them, I wouldn't even consider sending them out to anyone who hasn't already been a fairly active member for some time. Just to discourage this sort of thing happening.

Has anyone any stats on how many people have joined just to rape the downloads section, then disappeared as fast as they joined, as soon as they were satisfied they had stripped the site of everything they could get?

Blogs

I basically pointed out where plans can be gotten. It involves buying a magazine or two to get the articles. Magazines have copy righted material. Copies can be made for your own personal use but cannot be distributed to other people weather for money or not.

Many people ask were to get plans from. Usually they come from people who spend their time writing articles for magazines and should be monetarily rewarded for doing so. Making copies and handing them out to others would discourage many from sharing information like that.

Sometimes you just have to pay for what you want.

Regards,
Bernd

P.S. John leave it at that. No sense getting people upset, including yourself.

The SIC Gene Switzer grinder back issues can be had for around 30 bucks. That is a lot of info for a small amount. Thanks Bernd for your reply. ironman

Not getting upset Bernd, just stating facts as to what does happen.
The same as when people ask for free development time. Get what they want and never put anything back into the learning database.

John

I guess I should not be asking for anything with this being my first posting. But I can't help it, I have been searching for plans to build a cam grinder and well I see that there were plans circulating around here and I was wonder if one of you would be kind enough to share it. If not, I understand, being the new kid on the block and asking for a favor. ;)

Roughcat et al.

this site is open to newbies and is meant as an open forum . It is meant to encourage folks at all levels to build model engine. It is also intended to help folks move up to the next level of the hobby.
Bogs does have a point. We also encourage folks to post there first thread to the welcome area and introduce themselves. Let folks know a bit about yourself your shop and post a few photos of what you have built. If john had this attitude about a simple oscilator I would heartily disagree . but lets think about this if you have the need and skill to build a cam grinder you also have built a few engines and imho have something to contribute here. So those of you that want plans hang in there pull up a stool and join in .
While we encourage sharing of Ideas and learning we do not want folk to be a bunch of folks that take but never give back.
Respectfully
Tin Falcon

i have since purchased my own copies of the cam grinder articles so i was not entirely looking for a charitable handout as such ,just the needed info in BASICs of the setup.

Isn't this what setting up websites all about creating a wider community on ic engine building and helping your hobby grow hmmmm?

as a part of my long standing plan towards retirement this such thing ic engines is a big part of it, but now has been brought forward by 25 years and always spending dollars on adding to the workshop ,machines , tooling ,metals etc its an ongoing cost for all who participate in such joys of doing this wonderful hobby.

so if somebody puts up an offer a plan of course you will get takers ,would you?.
A plan or plans are never free in the long run it all cost in the long run.

As i have had a longtime involvement with r/c boats racing over 30 years i have always helped a lot of others in setting up boats, engines, making parts on mill & lathe and the list goes on.

Remember that you are involved in a hobby world wide it has a huge audience ,I do not post alot but i do read it and follow articles daily.

ps; there is no such thing as a free lunch

Isn't this what setting up websites all about creating a wider community on ic engine building and helping your hobby grow hmmmm?
Yes a forum is an open sharing of Ideas. But there are limits ,we do not "share" plans etc that have been published and the copyright is owned by others. If a member here has authored plans that person owns the copyrights and can share them as he or she sees fit. Or not. We do not foster and will not foster an elitist attitude here . Everyone starts with post #1.
I think bogs concern is the guy or gal that shows up asks for plans gets them and goes and hides in the shop or just lurks on the board never to be heard from again. Or the guy that take a set of plans from here and offers them for sale on Flea bay.
Tin

Guys,

Tin and Blogs are both saying in their own way that it is better for our hobby and this forum if you put something in before you take something out.

You will find us more than willing to help you put in.

Hopefully that will create a wider community and help our hobby grow.

From where I sit, the above seems to be what the majority of us want.

Best Regards
Bob

Guys, listen I apologize for asking for something before putting something into this forum. I just never thought about it being a big deal like that. It’s just the way I was brought up I guess, you see if someone needs help or something and I can help them, I will. I call it making friends, now don’t get me wrong if they are trying to screw me over on something, well that’s another story.
Again I scenery apologize, I will mind my manners a little better.

it seems to me and the little i know on the subject, if someone makes a cam grinder from scratch and then posts plans in here it should be ok if somone wants to go to the trouble execpt that all of them would have roughly the same elements.
or the people who post pictures of there machines they made from plans they bought i could copy that exactly with the little detail provided and then would not be in the wrong beacause they did not provided the plans see where im going with this??
well how about i ask how everyone else makes there cams??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back