plans for cam grinder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric,

I am also in need of the cam grinder plans, Please.

Thank you,

Greg

Why not put them up here for all that my be interested. That way you won't be getting asked all of the time for them.

BC1
Jim

Hi, Eric,
Good you send me the plans for the camgrinder to, at this moment i am in the process of drawing and then making up a variation on the Hubert Schilling single DOHC engine.
When the drawings are finished, I will make them available to the forum if anyone is interrested. thanks in advance from Holland
my email, [email protected]

Eric, (or anyone who received from Eric)

I also would appreciated cam grinder plans.
thank, mike minus48v at yahoo.com

Has anyone heard from Brass_Machine lately? Is he alright? Any one that has copies of those plans, I would appreciate having a set. Thank you, ironman

Found Brass_Machine. He is Administrator on MadModder Forum. Emailed him but haven't heard anything yet. Thanks, ironman

he was ill in the last months
fortunately now he feel better, I think he'll reply to you as soon as he can

I got my plans by ordering the 3 back issues of SIC. It is a great cam grinder. ironman

ironman said:
I got my plans by ordering the 3 back issues of SIC. It is a great cam grinder. ironman

Yes, those plans are good but check the modifications that Ken Hurst did to his machine....He added a means of a precision adjustment to the wheelhead along the back so that you can feed sideways as well. I believe he used a large (3/4" SAE) threaded rod for the support/adjuster since the small amount of rotation travel of the wheelhead would be negligible on the pitch of the 3/4 SAE rod doing the cam lobes. A handwheel on one end would serve to precisely locate the wheelhead and also to maintain its location. I'm working on a cam grinder too - off and on...

Thanks,
Bill C.

This manifold is the reason for my interest in constructing a cam grinder...The intakes are siamesed so the intakes and exhaust lobes on each end of the camshaft are reversed. This is a traditional layout for a four cylinder engine.

Thanks yall,
Bill C.

Wall Exhaust Manifold.jpg

Hi Eric,
i am a new member and also interested in the cam grinder plans.
Anticipated thanks,
Flattwin2002

Hi Eric
would it be possible for me to have a copy too, its been something
I've been looking to find for a long time.

Many Thanks
Ken

Hi all.
There have been so much "talkabout" camgrinders. Is there anyone started to building the grinder?
CS

I had better let you know that Eric has been rather ill for the last few months, and I think it is best if you let him recover a little more before pestering him for plans.

If you are just after making one or two cams, this grinder isn't most probably the best way to go. It is a rather large machine to have sitting around the shop not being used, and also it could get rather expensive if you don't have most of the required bits in you stash boxes. Even though I have most of the bits to make one, I did price it up to make if you started from scratch, and it could easily cost you a couple of hundred bucks to make, depending what sort of grinding head you were going to use and the type of drive system that you would settle on.

So for those that think it would be a cheapo way to make a cam, as I thought, it most probably isn't.
I think it would be more suited to club, rather than individual use, where it would get the amount of work to make it a viable cost effective proposition, or maybe a couple of people who live within easy striking distance of each other. Unless of course you went into making model engine cams big time, but as a few people have already found out, don't give up your day job in the meantime.

If just making one or two off multi lobe cams, then you would be much better off doing it the old way that ET Westbury did it, and later Bob Shores. That is make a little holding and setting jig for your lathe, and use that. That is what I did when I used to make IC engines, and is a very satisfying and easy method. You can easily cut one lobe in half an hour.

In fact, I am positive Uncle Marv has a proggy in his collection for making cam lobes using coordinates on the milling machine.

The main advantage of a cam grinder is that you can process pre hardened blanks, whereas with the manual method, you either case harden or full harden after the lobes are cut and shaped, and you run the risk of distortion during the hardening process. A thing I never had happen, but I have been told it sometimes does.

This post isn't to put you off wanting to make one, but a little information to bring you back down to earth.

Blogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back