P M Research Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your lathe project is really cool. :bow:

I am amazed at the detail considering how small it is. :eek:

th_wav

Words escape me, thank goodness for the emoticons.

woohoo1

Regards,

SAM

Donrecardo said:
The lathe is superb and I enjoyed following the build
but are we not going to see a video of it running and cutting a thread ? ;)

Great work

Don

:big: Yeah, it doesn't have to be anything fancy like a Acme or Witworth, just a plain ol' V thread would be okay. ;D

I will say it wouldn't suprise me if Jack didn't cut a thread on the little lathe, after seeing some of the small parts and cuts he did in making it.

Hey! I work fast but come on I just finished it now I have to make some teeny tiny lathe dogs and I still have to design a way to hold the line shaft and then I have to install and wire up the fractional horsepower motor that I have for this project and then I have to morph myself into a famous movie producer to make a video. How many hats do I have to wear to keep you all happy? ???
I am starting to think that this may become a never ending project, I have other steam engines to build.

I'm having fun, isn't that what this hobby is all about? Incidentally, did you know that the word HOBBY is a French word for spend a lot of money on stuff that you may only use once.
Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof}

Jack

How many hats do I have to wear to keep you all happy?

All of them of course!

Now get cracking! ;)

Lathe on Oak Base

Today the flooring contractor came to install the new red oak floor in the model shop. The lathe has been put into position and leveled, so just as soon as the electrical contractor shows up the motor will be installed so that we can get this new piece of equipment running and earning its keep.

Jack

We better keep this quiet, Jack. There's no belt guard. A tiny OSHA inspector is bound to show up if you go making things with this lathe!

Dean

Beautiful work Jack! Thm:

I wouldn't worry too much about that OSHA inspector.
He hadn't been invented yet. :D

If the electrical contractor is slow in responding, you may consider contacting
a hydraulic power engineer, steam engine builder or a hit and miss engine builder.
The systems that powered the overhead line shafts for that era of machine included
water wheels to generators, and everything in between.

Great little model piece of history!

Rick

You didn't think that I was finished, Did Ya! :big: :big:

Today I made a giant lathe dog for my lathe. I will try to make a smaller one in the next few days. I am accumulating quite few lathe accessories. The picture shows the Dog, Drill Chuck, and Dead Center.

Can you tell that I have way too much time on my hands?

Jack

Jack said:
Can you tell that I have way too much time on my hands?

Jack

If you decide to make a tiny set of collets for the lathe, thennnnnn I would say you have to much time. ;D Also I changed my mind, if you can make those small of parts, I want a LH Acme thread cut, not a simple V thread. ;)

substandard said:
If you decide to make a tiny set of collets for the lathe, thennnnnn I would say you have to much time. ;D Also I changed my mind, if you can make those small of parts, I want a LH Acme thread cut, not a simple V thread. ;)

and a triple lead.

SAM in LA said:
and a triple lead.

And perhaps put socket heads on them so we can use them as bolts , dont forget of course to make the miniature allen wrench set to tighten
them up with

Don

This is a beautiful piece of hardware and I appreciate his wanting to make all the bits and bobs to go with it. On the other hand when that chuck is made to be fully functional and then rebuilt because it has too much runout, some of us just might consider that to be obsessive behavior.

Great work,
Don

Donrecardo said:
And perhaps put socket heads on them so we can use them as bolts , dont forget of course to make the miniature allen wrench set to tighten
them up with

Don

The allen wrench set should be the folding type, like a pocket knife.

SAM Rof}

Just about finished with a fun to build and nice to look at model.

Let's forget all this discussion about Allen wrenches, Collets, Cutting Acme Threads and try to bring this lathe up to state of the art 1980. What I really need is a very small DRO for this lathe, I have them on my big lathe and mill and I just can't go back, I won't go back to the old fashioned way.

It's been a lot of fun making this model, and thanks for all the help, guidance, encouragement and gentle teasing along the way. Thanks to everyone who left very kind praise and accolades as I worked my way through this build. I know that several people have built this particular model and I encourage others to give it a try.

Maybe I could work out a liberal commission if sales were to suddenly rise dramatically. :big:

Thanks Again

Jack

Fantastic work and I like the tool stand next to it. Do you still plan on hooking up the electric motor, or are you ready to move on to another project?

Today I drew up a new little wrench and cut it out with my HF X2 CNC mill. It didn't take but a few minutes to cut, but it did take me awhile to draw it. I know its little but hey I only have a small CNC mill. This little wrench is used to tighten down the tail stock after its moved into the correct position. It fits a 2-56 nut with an opening of .200"

Looking for a new project... *discussion*

Jack

Hi Jack, my names ed. Thats the nicest model lathe ive seen. The blue paint really makes it stand out. I just recieved the model for my birthday. 3 questions if thats OK ?

1. Was the 4 jaw chuck diameter reduced to better fit the lathe dimentions?

2. Were any of the parts clear coated to reduce discouloration ?

3. Any prints/dimentions on the drill chuck ?

Any reply appreciated Thanks ED

Back