P M Research Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack, that is really coming together. Very nice. As said if you did not know better it looks like it's full sized brothers!

:D

Hi Jack,
If I might ask, how are you planning on putting the key slot in your leadscrew?
George

I haven't really thought about it just yet. I might have a go at using an end mill taking very light cuts back and forth slowly. Or I might try using a .030 slitting saw or I might set up the end mill in my CNC mill and let it do its thing. I'm sure that all three ways have their good and bad points. I will have to try each one to see which gives the best result.

Jack

Well todays project was to to cut the .032 wide slot into the shaft that runs the carriage mechanism and it went well. The setup took a little while but after everything was dialed in, I plunged the .032 3 inch slitting saw into the shaft to a depth of .035 and proceeded to move down the 4 inch length of the cut. Now I still have to make the 3 little gears that go behind the apron and the clutch hand wheel.
:bow: :bow: :bow:

Jack *beer*

Well Jack, it looks like you made the right decision on cutting the keyway. It turned out good.

If that Lego man wasn't standing there, I would think it was a full sized lathe.

It's been fun following the build and will watch it to the end.

It sure is looking good, Jack. Enjoying this build.

Dean

Bah I call a fraud! Lego man is perpetrating a staged photo! I see no swarf off that hunk of brass in the lathe!

;)

Jack, Looking good!!!

Question: how does the Bull Gear lock/unlock for back gear ? (pin, thumb screw ??).

Paul

Very impressive :bow:

Can't wait until you get it finished, then Lego man can use it to build an even smaller version... :D

Today I made several little spacers and bushings for the gears plus the knob for the clutch for the carriage. Just simple turning of steel parts most out of 3/16" drill rod. The knob is out of 5/16" and then threaded 5-40 thru the center.

The back gear engages with a 1-72 set screw in the gear into a hole that is in the pulley plus there is a set screw in the gear that tightens onto the head stock shaft.

Jack

The gears on the end of the lathe are starting to fall into place, just some simple parting off the gear stock, pressing two together and a whole lot of fine tuning to get them to all mesh properly and turn smooth. But thats what they make those tiny little files for, removing the burrs from parting the gear from the blank. I only have six more to make for this end and then its off to make the ones under the apron. We should be making chips in a couple of weeks, I only hope that I can get this thing leveled properly. And then there's the matter of him not wearing his safety glasses correctly. His seeing eye dog has been ordered and Mr. Lego Man is going to need him if he don't start practicing safe machining there is nothing funny about losing an eye because of stubbornness. Safety Glasses, USE THEM. Soon, I will have to teach him not to ever leave the chuck wrench in the chuck.
;D ;D ;D

Jack

Hi Jack

Man, the lathe looks great !!! But, that seeing eye dog already looks like he is blind in one eye, better paint on a new one. What happened to Farmer, get his handkerchief caught in the lathe ???

Paul

Jack,

I am amazed that you are able to machine pieces that small.

What size threads will you be able to cut with this lathe. :big:

What type of nano engine is on your bucket list. :big:

SAM

:big: Love the seeing eye dog

The lathe is looking good, when I first saw this thread I thought about ordering the kit. After seeing some of the machining required :eek: I better wait till I have more skill and patience.

The gears on the end of the lathe are now finished and running smoothly.

As far as small threads, this sweet little lathe should be able to cut threads so small you wouldn't even be able to see them with the naked eye.

You all are amazed that I can make parts this small, I AM AMAZED THAT I CAN MAKE PARTS THIS SMALL.

I like projects that use all of my skills and tools and if I have to learn a new skill along the way, so much better. Just remember "Take it one part at a time and you will be surprised how easy it is to accomplish an entire model, but for my next project I think that I will build something a little bigger.

Pretty soon after I finish the apron gears I will have to take it all apart and paint, make a suitable base, and connect it to my small electric motor. Stay tuned.

Jack

Thats beautiful Jack,

I designed a new engine and I figured that I'll need some 000-200 screws. I'll have to give you a call.

:big:

Tony

The lathe is almost finished, So Lego man called his friends and neighbors over to see his new baby. They all watched in amazement as he turned some 3 inch brass bar stock down to 1/4 inch round while doing the setup test.

Just a few more days worth of work and then we can put a stop to all this tiny stuff and start building a big old steam engine.

It's been fun and educational...

Jack *beer* *beer*

When it comes to small fasteners this is who I get mine from: http://www.microfasteners.com/

No Animals where harmed in any way while producing this Lathe kit, the seeing eye dog is fine, he just saw a squirrel and wouldn't sit still for the photograph.

Great pics, Jack. (Great building, too!)
I'll bet this thread has put the small lathe bug in a lot of heads.

Dean

Sigh. More stuff I cannot afford right now...

That is simply magnificent Jack.

:bow:

Hi Jack, your lathe has come out excellent. Now you just have to decide what color you're going to paint it, if at all. Here is something you might want to consider. It's a tailstock chuck. I turned the inner piece and put a hole in it so that I could put some small drills in it. I bush the drills to all the same diameter so they fit well. Underneath is a small set screw to hold them in place. The outer sleeve is just a dummy that was machined to look correct and then pressed in place.
George

LATHE K.jpg

Latest posts

Back