P M Research Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack,

Looks great.

Your lathe sure is a metal Hog, look at the size of the chips. :eek:

I would like to see the machines that you used to make these parts.

SAM

Thanks everyone for all of the kind compliments, I really enjoyed building this project over the last couple of months.

I would like to paint it but haven't decided on a color yet, anyone want to make some suggestions?

My last project was to convert my X2 mini mill to CNC and I did not even use it on the little lathe. But I do use my Grizzly G4003G 12x36 inch lathe and my Grizzly 6x32 inch knee mill almost daily. These were purchased a couple of years ago after my wife passed away as a way to fill the void in my life and they have given me a great deal of pleasure.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Gunsmith-s-Bench-Top-Lathe-with-Stand/G4003G

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Vertical-Mill-w-Table-Power-Feed/G3103

Jack

Deanofid said:
Great pics, Jack. (Great building, too!)
I'll bet this thread has put the small lathe bug in a lot of heads.

Dean

You got that right!

George, that mock chuck is brilliant!

Jack, Gray seems a universal color, however you may want to consider Grizzly Green as a tribute to the big machines that helps make such a nice model come to life.

:)

Twmaster said:
Grizzly Green as a tribute to the big machines that helps make such a nice model come to life.

:)

OH Mike! This here is an Amurikan made machine!

Hey, it's just green paint man. I like green...

Ok, how about he paint it pink. With little brown polka dots? Happy now? ;)

The last pieces were finished today, The worm gear under the apron and the clutch gears also under the apron. The worm gear only took tries to get one that looked like a good one.

I am actually thinking of gloss black or maybe almond which is the color of my Grizzly machines,
i think that they both come from a factory in Northern China, I hear that the green machines come from Southern China.

Jack woohoo1

Great stuff, Jack, and nice pictures of your efforts.
So, you cut the "threads" on the worm for this yourself?

BTW, I was only razzing Mike about what color you paint it. You are, after all, the "manufacturer" and the board of directors rolled into one.

Dean

Yes, I cut the threads on the worm myself.

It is a piece of 1/4 inch brass, 5/8" length, with a 1/8 shoulder on each end with a 40 thousands undercut at each end of the 1/4" long 1/4-20 thread. And a .032 wide slot cut into the side of the .125 hole through the piece to match up with the slot in the shaft so that a little key could be fit in between the gear and shaft. A rather complicated little part.

After my first attempt which turned out very sharp, I had to go to the real machine shop and ask what I was doing wrong the "MAN" looked at my cutter and decided that it was too pointy so he he showed me how to grind it properly with 20 degrees on each side with relief on both sides and a 12 thousandths flat on the tip.

Well, I came home tried again with a little cutting oil on it and taking cuts of about .005 on each pass but I didn't release the halfnut, I just ran the lathe in reverse back to the starting point went in another .005 and ran the lathe forward and did this until I reached the proper depth.

Finished up with a very tiny file on the bottom of the thread and it was "Good Enough For The Girls I Go With".

This is the first time that I have ever cut threads on the lathe, One more skill to had to my resume.

I'm off to the hobby shop tomorrow to try and find some paint. I am thinking either Black or a very dark Olive Green.

Stay Tuned...

Jack

Perhaps you built a "teeny weenie yellow polka dot lathinie". :big: Rof}

I know, I should go back to my room.

I am still amazed. You must not suffer from ADD.

SAM

I finally finished the Lathe project after making my version of a tail stock chuck and a dead center for the tail stock.

I choose Machinery Gray for paint because... "Most old Machines are Gray"

I am very happy with the way the model turned out and it was fun to build, I hope that you all enjoyed coming along for the ride with me as I worked my way through the process of making another project that will take its place on the shelf along with my other models.

Jack

Very, very nice Jack. I like the gray.
gbritnell

Very impressive workman ship, thanks for sharing your build.

Paul

SUPERB :bow: :bow: :bow:

Nicely done Jack...

Jeff

That's just too flipping cool. I got a big old grin on my mug looking at your little tail stock chuck!

:bow:

It's just super, Jack. Quite pretty, the way I see it.
Thanks for the great thread.

Dean

That looks great!
I've read your thread all along as you built this.
I've even called my wife and work colleagues over to see pictures of your lathe as you progressed.

Great job and I enjoyed watching it develop.

The lathe is superb and I enjoyed following the build
but are we not going to see a video of it running and cutting a thread ? ;)

Great work

Don

Latest posts

Back