P M Research Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
I have been taking things easy lately, but I have started another project a week or so ago. Although it is not an engine or motor, been there done that... it could be used to make a small engine, when I finish building it.

It is a "Doll House Scale" Lathe from a casting kit offered by P.M. Research, Inc.

http://www.pmresearchinc.com/store/home.php?cat=6

So far the casings are very nice to work with. Everything is going smoothly, I'll keep my fingers crossed and if I hold my tongue just right I should be able to finish machining the castings next week. Then its on to the little round parts.

Thanks for Looking

Jack

I hope you'll put up plenty of pics of your progress, Jack. Looks like a nice kit!

Dean

Some part of me has lusted after this kit and the shaper. Please do post pics of your project as you go through it.

Looks like fun. Yes...plenty of pics please.
Hard for me to tell size...keep something in for scale too.

I forgot to show just how massive this piece of "Old American Iron" is. This kit is actually made in America and is of excellent quality. Sorry... being diabetic I don't have any candy in the house. So from now on I will try to put money in the photos. The length of the bed is 6 inches for those of you that use that other funny measuring system it is just a little over five inches and a little under seven inches. :big:

the original, Jack

I love all of those 'tools' PM research sells and they are on my 'one day' list.
Look forward to seeing your results.

Hi Jack,

I am working on a PMR engine kit, many of my castings were under finished size as cast. I only had one Aluminum part, also under size. How do your parts compare? Nice start, looks like a lot of fun.

Paul

So far the castings have been excellent, just enough material to wind up with a finished part, No there isn't an extra 1/8" but enough that I can bring the part in "On Size and On Budget". Castings can sometimes be a little difficult to hold while doing the milling or turning operation but if I think about it long enough I can usually figure it out. Remember this type of work is 95% mental and 20% cutting. But thats the fun part, anybody can just go and buy a model but what fun is that!!!
I ordered the 5/40 left hand tap and die for the tail stock and cross feed screws today, should be here in a few days and then I can make more parts.

Jack

Looks like a lot of fun...good luck and post plenty-o-pics!

If I may ask, where did you find a Left 5-40.

paul

Heh. I was afraid to ask Paul. The other thing I'm afraid to ask is the price...

It looks like you're off to a good start. As with mine there wasn't alot of extra machining stock on the castings but they cleaned up ok.
gbritnell

I've wanted to build one of these for a long time... maybe I will one day. ;D Great work, thanks for sharing your progress.

Jack,

Nice little kit. It'll be interesting to see this come together.
Also good to see you getting back in the game, been a long time.

This is a photo of the pulley casting, before and after, Plus a photo of the shaft collars, in case you can't quite see the size, they are 5/16" dia. with a 1/8" dia. inside bore with a 1-72 taped holed for a set screw, yes, they are made out of crs drill rod. This model Lathe I believe has a total of 76 0r 77 parts, it should keep me busy for a while.

Don't for get if you get the 5-40 Left Hand Tap you will also need a 5-40 Left Hand Die to make the threads for the threaded rod to screw into. I found them both at:

http://www.victornet.com/subdepartments/Left-Hand-Taps-Inch-Sizes/1300.html

http://www.victornet.com/subdepartments/Left-Hand-Dies/2580.html

Jack

Hi Jack

Thanks for the T/D info. What is the belting material supplied? looking good ;D

Paul

Todays project included machining the bottom side of the ways so that the tail stock clamp can slide easily after I got the correct cutter it only took a few minutes. Then I wanted to bore the headstock and tailstock at the same time so a rather complicated set up was involved. After drilling the both of them I ran a .188 reamer down through the hole. I love it when things go according to the plan.

As far as belting is concerned, the kit didn't come with any, if and when I get ready to run this baby, I have a 1/12 scale 3 hp electric motor that operates on 9 volts dc that I plan on using.

Jack

Latest posts

Back