P M Research Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice set up!! No tapered parts will come off of that lathe.

nice work. i've been eyeing up PM Research machines for a while. good to see the lathe being worked on.

Well the boring of Head and Tail Stock came out very well, the photo shows a little bow, but I think that its a camera thing the 3/16" shaft is perfectly straight. Tomorrow I will be starting some of the gears. Wish me luck...

Jack ::)

Good setup on the boring job, Jack. Great idea to do head and tail all at one whack.
I hope you can manage some pictures of your gear work for us!

Thanks for the pics,

Dean

Very interesting Jack :bow:

I'm following close and really watching you progress...thanks for sharing

Jeff

Hi Jack, the gears are the easy part. You've got the hardest work out of the way. I found the machining of the ways and matching the carriage and tailstock the trickiest operations.
gbritnell

Today I drilled and tapped (1-72 size) the carriage power shaft brackets plus I drilled the tailstock hold down bracket so that the (2-56) screws could be fitted with the 2-56 nuts and then I had to make a wrench to fit the nuts, its a .185 open end wrench.
I am working from full size plans that appear to be well drawn and easy to read.

Jack

After another days work in the shop I completed the hand wheel and gears on the carriage, now it moves back and forth with a simple turn of the hand wheel. I am continuing to make progress on this little project but now I am stalled while I wait for more odd ball taps and dies that are needed to get here via big brown truck.

Jack

Well, I am finally able to go back to work in the shop after a bout with an infection in my hand, don't ignore those little nicks and cuts that we all get, my hand turned bright red and swollen one day last week had to go to the doctor to have it looked at and start a heavy dose of antibiotics.

So the part for today is the tailstock sleeve with left hand screw and cap that goes in front of the hand wheel.
The sleeve has to have a 1/32" wide slot .025 deep the entire length, those little tiny endmills break very easy. Then it had to be drilled and threaded with a 5/40 lefthand tap and then have the front end reamed with a 4/0 taper pin reamer for the dead center pin that is actually made out of a 1/2" taper pin with the big end ground to a point.

I still have to turn the handwheel casting but thats enough for today.

Jack

Jack, Very clever using that pin. Good to hear your hand is better.

Paul

After fighting off an infection in my right hand and then an allergic reaction to something unknown, I went back to work on the little lathe and did the head stock spindle and tail stock assembly. I still have more gears to do but at least I am making progress again.
:big: :big: :big:

Jack

Lathe's looking good, and wow, that's an old-style Lego man. :bow:

Today I turned the face plate for the six inch lathe in my 40 inch lathe after turning the hub on the back side of the casting and drilled and tapped the center hole in the four jaw I mounted it on the headstock spindle shaft which I previously made and put the whole assembly in a 3/16 collet and turned the edge and front side. Tomorrow I will mount it on the rotary table and cut the 6 slots in the small face plate.

Jack

Nice work on your lathe so far Jack. I dont' mean to hijack your thread but thought I might show you something that you could add to your lathe or maybe you already thought about it. I added some oilers to the tops of the headstock bearings. They don't actually hold oil, they have a through hole to get oil to the spindle but have the glass around the outside to make them look realistic.
gbritnell

LATHE E.jpg

You're doing a fine job here, Jack. It's coming along nicely.
Nice build thread, too!

Dean

That is really coming along nicely. George, that photo you posted is grand. Bravo to the borh of you.

I have a question. I was going to just sit on my hands and wait to see answered my questions during your build but I cannot wait any more.

On the gears...

Do they come as stock with the teeth already cut or do you need to cut the teeth as well?

If not just round brass stock could you please post a photo of the gear material? I could not see in the photos of the new kit what the gear stock looked like.

I very much want to build one of these kits someday.

Thsanks in advance.

Twmaster, the gears come as pinion stock, in other words you get a piece of stock say 3 inches long with all the teeth cut on it. Because some of the od's aren't standard if you don't have the appropriate collet to hold the gear stock you can make up a split bushing to hold it in a good 3 jaw or 4 jaw chuck to drill and part off the necessary gear. I only have small pieces remaining from my build but I think you get the idea.
gbritnell

Twmaster said:
On the gears...

Do they come as stock with the teeth already cut or do you need to cut the teeth as well?

Same question I had, couldn't imagine cutting those small of gears. The lathe looks great, neat project.

George,

Thank you. That does indeed answer my question. Sweet!

Latest posts

Back