Overhaul of a 9" SB model "A"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonights activities

After doing battle with the lawn.....forest lately!....I got a hour or so in tonight
Center drill
P6270001.jpg

Drill and ream
P6270006.jpg

P6270007.jpg

All done with my lathe specific cross drilling fixture specifically made to put holes on center on shafts.

OK all reamed RIGHT ON CENTER! woohoo1

Problem...

The original pulley hole was not put in on center! :wall: :wall:

OK I can regroup and make the hole deep enough to accomodate the eccentricity.......and get A (1) new pin to replace the old one which I am sure will not fit! :fan:

Lesson to you SB'ers out there....do not assume! ::)

Dave

rkepler said:
Thanks, it was a lot of work - and I 'cheated' by having the bed professionally ground. That gave me a good datum for everything else and a good beginning for a rebuild novice. They're very nice lathes and quite available anymore if you're willing to put some work into it. It is nice to have a lathe that can take .0001 off (I once rounded the ends of a friend's lathe secondary shafts - a sharp tool took off just enough) to honkin' big cuts (after getting the drive working I started to see how far I could go in a cut - stopped at .016 feed on an .125 DOC in 2" A2 and the drive still wasn't noticing it, just a little grunt when the tool hit the work).

I probably should put up a new picture, it's no shop queen and is my main lathe. Since the rebuild it's made several steam engines and a 1.5" scale 3 truck Shay.

BTW: I used the tailstock base as the mount for an indicator scraping in the headstock (used a ground rod with 12 Jarno taper), it was faster than using the heavy saddle. After everything else was done I had to make new tailstock quills and quill assemblies, everything was pretty much gone. I made a 1/2-8 LH ACME tap to tap the 2" nut, a friend made a couple of screws. As long as I was making a quill I made a second in MT3, there's not enough meat in the quill for it to be used in production but for the times I need a 3MT it's perfect.

rKepler,

Thanks for your interest and support.

I am suprised that the 10EE has only a #2 MT? I would think maybe a #4 would be more in keeping with the rugged nature of the 10EE.

Dave

New "T" slotted cross slide and leadscrew nut
Full set of 3C collets ( I have most, but need a few)
Albreicht Drill chuck
Vertical milling slide
High speed mill/drill spindle using 8mm WW collets
Spindle indexing plate Create spindle adapter for Existing Aciera F1 dividing head ( sketched up)
AXA tool mount to share tooling I have already with my "Big" lathe,
Custom Faceplate
Steady rest
Fusee Cutting Jig
New roll around bench of proper height for the work to be done
All new lubrication wicks. I bought the rebuild kit with wicks
Auxillary spindle drive for high speed spindle for "wheel cutting" and drilling.
Complete tear down , refurbish and paint.

Bought a Tools4cheap faceplate for the SB9" Threaded right on and has lots of tapped holes which are 5/16-18 I will probably retap them to 3/8-16 as most of my straps are that thread.

http://www.tools4cheap.net/proddetail.php?prod=faceplate

Additionally, I've got a good start on a high speed spindle.

P6010148.jpg

P6010149.jpg

I plan to make a new body to house the spindle and bearings. This body will mount on my AXA toolpost and bring the spindle on center with both lathes ( Logan and SB)

I'll be running it with a 1/4 HP motor.

Dave

Scored the new motor....may need a mount plate, but we can sort that.

Dave

20110301074236211_L.jpg

looks just like the one in my 10K.
good find.

take care,
tom in MA

btw dave,
did you paint/plan to paint during the restoration?

I did my 10K recently. Used industrial grade paint from Bejamin Moore. But the paint is not fully cured yet after a couple of months... I was told it'll take time to cure without baking it, but still...

what will you paint it with -- if you plan that is...

take care,

tom in MA

Hi Tom

Ben Moore Industrial Alkyd enamel. My version of Moss Green.

I've primed a few parts already. The primer needs thinner if your going to brush.

The primer has set up just fine. I have not tried to paint it yet. I would get a hardener if they were'nt cyano compounds.

Hmmmmm....got me nervous now. I'll start by painting 1 part and see how it goes.

However, I did my F.E. Reed with it years ago, and it was fabulous!
FEReedsideview.jpg

And no, that is not the green....much darker!

Thanks for the heads up!

Dave

Painted some of the parts tonight. The Countershaft casting and base, the compound, the countershaft pulley, and the steadyrest.

The color is a bit lighter than Mr Blacks, but it doesn't seem bad to me.

I didn't fill my castings......I just painted the clean castings.

Once I get the second coat on, I'll take some photo's and you'se guys and critique!... ;D

Good thing about paint...it's easy to make go away

Dave

yes, please I'd like to see photos!

take care,
tom in MA

I was wondering.... ;D

....and your wife has an account?!....COOL!

Dave

AND she's named ANASTASIA!.....oh man!

Some guys get all the luck.....Glad for you ;D

Well , the color is OK...but to your point Tom....very tacky 12 hours later....I'll let it all sit in the sun for a while.

It is not behaving as I remember the last batch.

Dave

Hi Dave
I sure hope that paint goes off
Its happend to me using old paint after taking a lot of care with something and the paint never went hard
Pete

And this is brand new paint! hmmmm Rustoleum is sounding better all the time.

Dave

my experience too.
My tailstock I left in the sun many times, and it is dried OK but not very hard. I could scratch it if i wanted to...

Anyhow, we are not sunny in MA today though, are we...

tom

NO! Heading to NH for the day.....I just packed it all up.

Looked at the color some more....needs to be darker.....

I think I'll retreat and regroup....after a cook out and some libation. ;D

Dave

Well after long thought.....and much libation with good friends. ;D....I think I'll drop back and punt.

I'll let the current paint dry for another day.....and change over to Rustoleum....probably in gray.

Although I want the lathe to look nice....I'm not looking for a shop queen. I'm looking for a dedicated small work lathe.

Gotta watch the scope creep..... ;D

Dave

P.S. I haven't tried the TS paints because they will not ship and the nearest store is 30 miles out of my way.

Latest posts

Back