Overhaul of a 9" SB model "A"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have I mentioned I love Rustoleum? Gloss smoke gray, Protective Enamel from Home Depot, flows on nice, covers and brush strokes level out.

I will put two coats on....but I'll let the first coat dry for a couple days and give it a once over with paper.

We progress

I was cleaning the gear cover with some Acetone and a hand painted identification ..in red paint..poped up under a splash of black spray paint that came right off.

I'll take a photo before I remove it...makes me want to find out who owned it originally.
I'd bet a trade school shop...the ID seemed like it indicated a row and a machine number.

Dave

Ah, you did the best thing.
I wish I had switched to Rustoleum from the get go.

Please post photos.

Take care,
tom in ma

Here's a couple of before shots...showing the markings and the general state of the existing paint.

P7090012.jpg

P7090011.jpg

and some painted

P7090013.jpg

P7090014.jpg

P7090015.jpg

P7090016.jpg

P7090017.jpg

Dave

Ah, nice work.

much better than mine...

keep up the excellent work,

tom in MA

It's already dry to the touch!....I'll let it harden for a couple of days, and then lightly sand and recoat.

Meanwhile...more cleaning and getting other parts repaired and or painted.

Dave

Looks great Dave.You can't go wrong with Rustoleum!
Crab

nice one Dave
I may use a similar colour when I get around to painting my lathe :)
Pete

Crab, Bob, and Pete,

Thankyou for your interest and support!

This is going to be a long one. It's a lot of work to do this and it must be done in stages to keep the parts
organized. Some of the screw threads are a little oddball ( #12-28 was popular at SB apparently) so you have to be careful where the screws go as they are hard to get.

Today, I'll check the tailstock base for wear ....namely how low is it?

To do that I'll need to remove the Headstock and clean under it, and then re-install Remember in my previous post I found that the HS had been removed and then replaced incorrectly...with 1 clamp not even snug!...I'll need to remove it to clean underneath and inspect the bearing surfaces. Once I determine they are clean and undamaged by the hamfisted dope who did this....I'll trust the HS as a gauge to check the TS.

I may want to do this at a couple places along the bed and get an idea on how much bed wear I really have.

Then I guess it's time to address the wear in the tailstock base if it's unacceptable....or what ever else I dig up

In between there's always painting.....and cleaning the shop! ::)

Dave

At least it wasn't a VanGogh reference...I get to keep my ear.

You like my well worn table don't ya Bob.....for a small price...I'll frame it and send it to you!

I call it "Machine Lillys in summer"

Dave

OK...best I can measure at the moment, the tailstock quill is .018 low and pointing downward with a slope of .005" /2" or .0025" per inch. That works out to about .015 over the length of the tailstock base! :eek:
So for a total of .015+.018 or .033"!
We got some repair work to do...I took some pictures...I'll post later.

I'll temporarily shim the tailstock base to level it and confirm the dimensions.

I'm beginning to think a new shoe/base might be faster than trying to fix this one!
I'll check my stock...but "Norm" could hog one of these out pretty damn quick........

Thoughts?

Dave

OK all the taper is in the front of the tailstock....or at least nearly all.

I added a .017 shim and it's close. It is also pointing about .0025/1" towards the rear of the machine

Dave

ttrikalin said:
who's "Norm"?

Some of us like to name our tools. I'm guessing Dave has a van NORMan mill.

My mill is named 'Cecil' because we all know Cecil B. DeMille.

Tom

Marv is correct.
Picture a short, stout tool and die maker with a greasy apron, a short cigar and a disposition to match!

"Norm" is a 1951 VanNorman #12 gear head mill with a 1.5 HP drive.

We have an agreement...I don't get in his way...and he doesn't kill me......it's worked well so far.

Dave

Marv is correct.
Picture a short, stout tool and die maker with a greasy apron, a short cigar and a disposition to match!
Sounds about right I do not remember you with a cigar though
LOL
Tin

Latest posts

Back