Opposed 4 Compressed Air

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sure like it, Chuck. Looking really good!

Dean

Metal Butcher said:
Lookin good Chuck!

Are you going to make small 'bolt on' flanges for the tubing to be soldered to on the cylinder heads?

-MB

Thanks, MB. Yeah, I've already got the flanges made. They will be soldered onto the end of the tube going into the head.

I'm contemplating tapering the fins on the cylinders to make installing and removing the cylinder screws easier.

Like this:

a992ce80.jpg

Chuck, this is looking fantastic, I like the tapered fins idea. Can't wait to hear the sound of this thing!

Nick

Chuck,

I really like the way you made the square cylinder with the fins.

I'm not so sure about the tapered look.

I can't wait to see the finished product.

SAM

cfellows said:
I'm contemplating tapering the fins on the cylinders to make installing and removing the cylinder screws easier.

Have you thought about turning the taper on the lathe? The transition between the top square fin to a round bottom fin might look pretty neat, and would give that extra clearance for the cylinder screws.

Great build by the way, I always enjoy following your work.

Tim

Thanks everyone for the appreciative comments. I'm putting the tapered fin idea on hold for now. At this point I'm getting pumped at the idea of making a steel, 4 bladed propeller, like this drawing...

554b4c02.png

It would be about 7 1/2" in diameter and I'm thinking of making it from steel. Haven't decided whether it would be made from one solid piece or built up, but would probably be built up to save material and make machining easier. I'm thinking this kind of prop would have good flywheel properties as well as being attractive.

Chuck

Chuck, I see great progress here, can't wait to see it running

Very Nice Chuck. I'm an airplane nut and your engine just has aviation written all over it. Keep those pics coming Please :)

Jeff

Hi Chuck, I like the idea of the tapered cylinders. I think it would give it more of an aircraft engine look. Kind of like a Continental flat four. I'm curious as to how you're going to create the prop out of steel.
gbritnell

slick95 said:
Very Nice Chuck. I'm an airplane nut and your engine just has aviation written all over it. Keep those pics coming Please :)

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff, got another picture coming in a minute!

gbritnell said:
Hi Chuck, I like the idea of the tapered cylinders. I think it would give it more of an aircraft engine look. Kind of like a Continental flat four. I'm curious as to how you're going to create the prop out of steel.
gbritnell

The vote is still out on the tapered cylinders. But I do agree that the straight sided cylinders make the engine look kind of blocky and heavy.

As far as the prop goes, I'm still noodling on how to do it. I've been experimenting with cutting a slightly angular slice out of a PVC tube to fashion each blade. This gives me a slight twist and the back side of the blade would be cupped. Of course, I would make the real thing from a steel tube, but so far I haven't found a shape that pleases me. I've also thought of making each blade from a piece of 3/16 x 1/2" steel and welding them together in the center with each blade rotated slightly then grinding the airfoil on the front. Just not sure, yet, how I'm going to do it. In the end it will probably be brute force grinding and lots of hand work including (shudder) filing.

If you have any ideas, I sure would welcome them!

Chuck

Got the air tubes cut, bent and dry fitted today. Will probably solder them up tomorrow.

3422d565.jpg

Or, I may decide to try loctite. Got a new bottle of 620 that I'm itching to try out.

Chuck

The air tubes look just great, Chuck. Very uniform.
It does look good with square cylinders. I think the tapered style would look even better.

You're the boss! Either way, it's a neat looking engine.

Dean

Yeah, it looks brilliant either way.

NIck

Thanks Zee, Nick, Dean, Steve, Sam.

Didn't have much time for the shop today, but did manage to get the air inlet manifold finished. Soldered up the assemblies, then drilled & tapped the heads and bolted it all up.

Heres a few pictures:

7c26d81d.jpg

70a3e7e1.jpg

19cda013.jpg

Gotta see what else I can squeeze in before the wife convinces me I need to get started on refacing the kitchen cabinets! ::)

Chuck

Chuck,

I really like your engine. :bow: :bow:

The prop as a flywheel is a great idea. :bow:

Personally, I like the cylinders as they are. ;)

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back