odds and ends hit and miss engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steam58

Reaction score
where can i get the plan for the odds and ends hit and miss engine

You might try doing a google search for them.

BC1
Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
There are several Hit/Miss Engine plans at Model Engine Builder magazine......

I thought I'd revisit this old topic since I just started looking for these plans too. I haven't been able to find a copy of "The Shop Wisdom of Phil Duclos". Apparently out of print with no plans to reprint. Village Press will make copies of the magazine article for a (steep) price. I haven't decided yet if I'm that interested.

I have Two Shop Masters which has some other Phil Duclos engines in it but I'm not as interested in those; except maybe the gearless one.

Paul

What do you call steep, as set of drawings for a hit & miss could typically cost $40-50.

J

What a shame its out of print. There are some sites that say you can download it for free but they look a little risky and I don't know what the copyright laws would think of it.

It is a great book, I have built the odds and ends, and the six cycle engines and they run beautifully. I also built the collet chuck for my 9" south bend lathe and with a little modification to the design I can chuck up to 5/8" dia. bars and pass them thru the spindle and chuck. Makes it convienient to cut short pieces off a long bar. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll post a picture.

Keep looking its a great book especially for a rookie like me.

See if a library has the Shop Wisdom of Phil Duclos book. I was able to get it on inter-library loan. I could be wrong and setting myself up for trouble by saying this, but you may be able to make a copy if you can find the book as long as it is for you not for mass reproducing and reselling. Fair use or something to that effect. Of course it may only apply to copying small portions of books you actually own. I don't know; never read the copyright laws and definitely not a lawyer.

Latest posts

Back