Note to self: Watch where you put your big fat fingers!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen

Reaction score
How many times in a 10 day period can you smash yourself?

Splitting some knotty firewood, I tried to get a stuck maul out, and did. The crack sprang shut on the tips of my fingers. No blood lost, just a nice pinch blister....

Turning the steering wheel on a big 20HP Nichols & Shepard engine (in close clearance to the fuel bunker), I lost hide on the back of 3 knuckles....

Some stupid lazy guy using a crescent wrench because he's too cheap to buy large end wrenches that fit... of course it slipped, and there was a nice sharp corned in the direction of travel... more hide lost off the back of the same hand....

While drilling pilot holes in the roller frame, the bit grabbed. The drill slammed my hand into the side of the boiler... more hide gone and a broken 1/4" bit to back out with needlenose pliers...

While squatting to weld, I lost my balance and put my hand down on the next to last weld I had made. Luckily, it was cool enough to only give me an instant 1st degree burn. -- through leather work gloves.....

Trying to make a short close cut with a sawzall my left hand slipped (miserable hot and humid, sweaty day) and pinched my left thumb between the moving collet and the body.... now that HURTS! The tip looks something like hamburger....

Cutting thin aluminum, I managed to get a nice thin sliver under the nail reaching for the dropped shears....

I'm taking a short breather from doing ANYTHING for a few days to heal - while I still have all 10 digits, and before they cancel my health insurance for 'pre-existing clumsy stupidity'......

Sounds like a good day to spend in bed...

Actually, with that many mistakes, and with winter just around the corner, maybe hibernation would be a good thing.

I think we all have the painful but not limb threatening accidents once in a while, just remember what caused them next time you are up to something.

Bogs

At least you did not attempt to use a table saw. Things never look the same (or feel the same) after you cut 3/4 though the finger. Hamburger, yup, mine looked just like that too.

I was just at school and learned that Thursday night one of the new students decided that removing a ribbon of swarf from a running Bridgeport endmill was a "good idea."

Well his index finger got pulled into the side flutes of the endmill. Twenty stitches was the result, and it could have been worse. The instructor told me it ruined the karma of the entire evening session for everyone.

Allen,

Perhaps this is a good time to do some research, sketching or cotton ball sorting.

;D

Slow down and try to determine why you have had this string of misfortune and correct whatever the reasons for the injuries.

I truly am sorry you got hurt and wish you a speedy and safe recovery.

Kind regards,

SAM of many scares

Latest posts

Back