Newest project--A Flyball Governor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
This will be my interpretation of a Muncaster flyball governor.
muncaster-brianmodified-1.jpg

Brian.
Your my man :big: when will it be finished and up running? With your progress I assume to morrow night ;D.
:bow: CS

Geeeeez, Brian, you are sure one productive guy !! Keep going !!

;D ;D ;D I see you've allowed for a spring!

Brian,

Do you actually plan on controlling the speed of the engine with the governor or is it just cosmetic? I'm interested to see if this will work on a model. Reason I ask is I just got a book from Lindsay about Steam Engine Governors and from what I've read so far there's quite a bit of math involved in designing one to fit a particular engine.

regards,
Bernd

Bernd said:
Brian,

Do you actually plan on controlling the speed of the engine with the governor or is it just cosmetic? I'm interested to see if this will work on a model. Reason I ask is I just got a book from Lindsay about Steam Engine Governors and from what I've read so far there's quite a bit of math involved in designing one to fit a particular engine.

regards,
Bernd

I do indeed plan on using it to control the speed of the engine,

In looking at the plan and dredging up recollections of college physics, it seems that the main issue is balancing the weight of the balls with the strength of the spring, plus regulating the linkage to the throttle.

Obviously the throttle should be completely closed when the balls are fully extended horizontally and open when the balls are at the lowest position.

there's quite a bit of math involved in designing one to fit a particular engine.
I was thinking the same thing. Not that i am worried about brian and the math.
Don Sandler has working ones of that type on several of his engines the governor is only about the size of an American 1 cent piece.
Tin

Brian.
Looking great.
Oh my... wish I have had a tiny bit of your CAD- skills ::)
CS

Chuck F has just volunteered me a couple of brass balls. Thanks a million, Chuck. ---The brass monkey is safe again for a while.---Brian

crankshafter said:
Brian.
Looking great.
Oh my... wish I have had a tiny bit of your CAD- skills ::)
CS

I agree CS, brilliant work - he just doesn't like drawing springs ;)

Man, this thing is going to be tiny. I got this far with the top peice, and had to quit because I don't have a 3/32" reamer, nor the drill that goes with it. I will buy one tomorrow. The extra long stem on the bottom is just there to give me something to hold onto in my mill. I started out with a peice of 1/2" cold rolled round rod.
TOPOFGOVERNOR-3001.jpg

Brian I wouldnt worry about a reamed fit on the govenor. in truth your going to need a bit of slop to let it work. A reamed fit will be too close.

I'm with Compound Driver. I always make things to tight and have to rework everything, most of the time;o)

Wes

compound driver 2 said:
Brian I wouldnt worry about a reamed fit on the govenor. in truth your going to need a bit of slop to let it work. A reamed fit will be too close.
I machine to two sizes--#1--Too damn tight and #2--Too damn sloppy loose!!!! At least with #1 I can play with it a little bit and make it fit and/or slide. With option #2, its away to the scrap bin.

I took a look at Marv's referenced link on the math. The gist is that given a governor with a given mass and arm length plus the rotational speed, you can calculate the angle the arms will make relative to the shaft. The discussion ignores the presence of a spring or any frictional effects.

What was interesting to my mind was the fact that the balls should theorectically oscillate slightly up and down like a pendulum, rather than attaining a stable equilibrium. In reality I am sure that friction would quickly damp out this osciallation.

Latest posts

Back