Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morph

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have been looking through threads for days now and finally decided to register yesterday. I am new to machining. I purchased a 12x36 lathe with mill combo unit from Grizzly about a year ago. Been getting tooling for the last year. I now have a new addiction. Just can't get enough of this stuff. If I'm not working you can find me either out in the shop or lurking on the machining forums. You all are a good bunch of fellows and I feel honored to be a part of your forum.
Here is a picture of my machine. Not sure if I have the picture size correct or not. Will be able to adjust after the results of this post.

DSC00359.JPG

Welcome Morph. Nice machine. wEc1 Looking forward to seeing your projects.

Regards,
Rudy

moprh,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome Morph...nice looking machine there...just itching to be put to use no doubt!! BTW, as for picture size 640x480 or 800x600 is usually sufficient for most things. It saves on bandwidth and especially for members with slower connections, it lets them view them much more quickly. I don't think it's a rule or anything, just a suggestion.

Again, welcome to the forum...have fun and jump right in.

Bill

b.lindsey said:
Welcome Morph...nice looking machine there...just itching to be put to use no doubt!! BTW, as for picture size 640x480 or 800x600 is usually sufficient for most things. It saves on bandwidth and especially for members with slower connections, it lets them view them much more quickly. I don't think it's a rule or anything, just a suggestion.

Again, welcome to the forum...have fun and jump right in.

Bill
Thank you b.lindsey,
I will be sure and downsize my attachments from now on, I used to have dial up and it was verrrrrry slow so I know what you mean.
Can't wait to start an engine. Just looking for the right one. Do you have any suggestions? My skill level is very low as well. :-[ How do you make the round faces with the expressions work?

oops! figured it out

Morph, there are several easier designs in the downloads section you might check. Also check out www.john-tom.com, especially the section on Elmer's Engines and many of these are appropriate for beginning machinists.

Bill

Another welcome to you. Need any advice or help on a project, it is all right here. Good looking lathe. ironman (Ray)

I suppose I could research this myself, but curious as to how the work piece moves relative to the mill head. Does the head move as the milling progresses? Hard to tell by the pic. Don't see a way for a table to move, unless there is a table attachment of some sort.

Troutsqueezer said:
I suppose I could research this myself, but curious as to how the work piece moves relative to the mill head. Does the head move as the milling progresses? Hard to tell by the pic. Don't see a way for a table to move, unless there is a table attachment of some sort.
Troutsqueezer,
Thanks for the reply. The lathe carriage has automatic feed engaged with the half nut. The mill is a round colunm attached to the rear. Basically it's a 3in1. I preferred the mill attached in the rear center for more flexability of set ups and reach. It's sort of hard to tell in the picture, guess I should have taken picture at a different angle.
Both the carriage and the cross slide have auto feed.
Thanks for asking.

Back