New Venture

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt,

I wish you the best of luck.

Follow the dream. Don't give up.

I can't say much about the costs...I have 3 patents but they're through the company I work for. (I get $80 and a dinner!! Woo hoo!..funny story too...I work for a company whose business it is is to help separate people from their cash...my patents are all about stopping cash flow. ;D)

The only advice I can give is to give out as little information as possible until you know you're protected. It's not just copy cats...you can also get people who think they are co-inventors just because you mentioned it to them and they feel they contributed something.

An old guy I knew years ago held 4 or 5 patents. He once told me keep all that shi.. er 'stuff' to yourself until you have that piece of paper from the USTPO.

I'm going to launch a new business once I get settled in. I'm keeping everything to myself until it's time to go live.

I've got 15 or so patents, all paid for by somebody else and sit on the patent committee that decides what's worth patenting and what's not for the Globo-Major-Mega-Corp I currently work for. There we assume patents cost about $25K each, between prep and legal fees, patent fees, office-actions, maintenance fees and so on. As a "small entity", you can get a discount on some of the USPTO fees, but probably not the bulk legal services discount we get.

Have you looked at Provisional Patents? You get a year to try and sell the invention before you have to throw down the $ for a full utility patent (stay far, far away from the companies that will try and file a 'design' patent for you-- 99.9% of those are just expensive pieces of paper.

FWIW, in the US you get a year from public disclosure of an invention until you lose the right to patent your idea. In other parts of the world, as soon as you publish the invention, you lose the right to patent it. Generally that means the key details, not the basic idea.

Another axiom is "a million dollar idea isn't worth patenting"-- if somebody does decide to infringe, it'll cost you more than that to defend. But, in many industries the existence of a valid patent can be a means to generate good licensing fees.

But, as I understand it, your patent isn't in a terribly heavily-trafficed area (computers, biotech, etc), and you probably know all the currently available prior art, so you probably have a good idea what the value may be. In that case, I'd say to go for it. Spend a lot of time carefully reading over the patent documents before you submit as the attorneys are almost certain not to be an expert and can leave important things out or otherwise paint you into a corner. Do some of your own prior art research as well-- Google patents is great and once you learn the USPTO search system, it's very powerful.

Twmaster said:
An old guy I knew years ago held 4 or 5 patents. He once told me keep all that shi.. er 'stuff' to yourself until you have that piece of paper from the USTPO.

All well and good. Are you going to go after the guy in China who's going to crank them out faster than you will and at a much cheaper rate? Remember, some contries don't honor our patents.

Not trying to discourage anybody from patenting, but if you don't have the bucks and a good patent attorney to back you up your not going to win.

If anybody wants to do a bit of reading on patents on a guy who's been there, I've enclosed a link to Don Lancaster's web site.

Bernd

Well thanks for all the info. I'm going to throw $110 in a envelope along with the Provisional Patent application, and few pictures and a best description I can come up with, without spending the farm on a lawyer.

This will give my a chance to meet with the possible consumer to see if there is enough interest to go and spend the big bucks.

I don't believe that the Provisional has to be done professionally perfect to insure my butt is covered, but gives me some sort of protection, for a reasonable price. Enough, so I can show people the product I hope?

Matt

Matt first off i have been wanting to post this all day but up till now couldn't :( i had seen your posts on here and you really do great work but i had no idea you had one arm :eek: really i have no idea what i would do if i lost any extremity my hats off to you my friend you truly have the craftsman spirit Thm:

im sorry to i missed seeing what you have made earlier and i will be looking very intently if you chose to post pic's

now just something to have a read check this out truly this is a great thread! once you start reading it you wont stop ;)

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-issues/self-employment-different-way-170955/

truly you inspire all of us who can but do to get off our butts and do something :bow: keep up the good work mate Thm:

Mat.

I know a little about how the system works or should work about patents. I shall illustrate a little here.

Patents are a luxury set up and ran by governments for large wealthy companies who have the money to financially protect there products. Just because you own a patent here in the US don’t think your protected. . If its not covered in Japan and if you want coverage in Japan you have to file there so on for every nation, get the idea?

An example on how it really works. The music business and copyright. (Patent copyright same thing in essence) before computers and file sharing, music that was pirated was allowed and tolerated only because they had no real way to enforce there legal right of ownership. But now the internet is up and running and is administered and controlled by all the governments the record companies have easy access to get those bought politicians to enforce there copyright patents, which in law there correct!.

Enough of that!. What you need to do is sell the idea and get royalties on it. That takes away the hassle of patents and dealing with all pitfalls of production, quality control, pricing and any legal issues that may come up in the future. If your idea is marketable, practical and of great redeeming value it will be a better success in there hands than yours. Plus you will be compensated monthly just purely on your idea, giving you time to design another one.

Mat. I am associated with a patent attorney who is retained for life to the United States Government. He has been my personal friend for twenty years. If you so wish I could give you my home number and we could speak more about this, he is also heavily involved in health system. I am prepared to furnish you with his name and let you do your own research on him if then you want an introduction I would be happy to oblige.

Let me know. This could be your biggest start!.

All the best. Anthony.

i have to agree with Anthony on this maybe approach a company who makes products on the same line to yours and see if they are interested in helping you out

i remembered what else i was going to post last night but forgot lol your thread reminded me of some allied POW's in the pacific during WW2 and how they scrounged up tools and started a prosthetic limb workshop/hospital they didnt have much they had a lathe and latter made there own small lathe in secret so if the Japanese ever felt the need to take there tools or move them they had the lathe to continue making things. sorry i cant find a link to the story but a google search may find it its well worth a read

That's where I first read the story, Bernd. My 15 year old copy is pretty dog eared by now, but the stuff inside is still good!

Dean

Nice work Matt. Great use of the skills you have developed and sure to be appreciated by others who need something like this. Hope it very successful. Thm:

That is better looking than any engine I have ever seen! :bow:

Beautiful work Matt.

Rick

B85V, and Rick

That is a great complement, Thank you very much.

And like I said before, You guys are why I'm here.

The best individuals I've ever met.

Matt

Good job Matt. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Hopefully you'll get a full patent in the future, and get some marketing ideas that will help you reach the people that can benefit from your devise!

I wish you the Best of luck Matt. :)

-MB

Matt

That is a work of art and a thing of beauty. Truly!! Best of luck and success with this project.

A word of caution about running your own business. The guy you work for can be a real slave driver. :big:

Just one question. Is it available with an R8 spindle? ;D

Captain Jerry said:
Just one question. Is it available with an R8 spindle? ;D

LOL........... Not yet, but has crossed my mind! ;D

Thanks for the encouragement guys!
Matt

Excellent work, Matt. Both from your brain, and your machining skills.
Here's hoping for a receptive market and the best success with your venture.

Good luck! Great job!

Dean

Thanks Dean! Your spring winding tutorial made this wrist all come together in the end.

Thanks Matt

Latest posts

Back