New Spindle Switch for RF-30

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill_Rittner

Reaction score
New%20Switch_zps5c3epnwi.jpg

My years of milling machine experience have taught me that a mill spindle needs reverse, something the RF-30 does not have. I use reverse for power tapping and running left hand tools. Left hand drills are great for removing broken screws. They often grab and back the screw right out. So I decided to add a new spindle switch with a reverse function. I found an appropriate drum switch. The original switch was removed and the wires were pulled out. I put plugs in the wire holes. The original wire clamps were used on the back of the switch. Then I drilled and tapped 4 holes in the machine head and mounted the switch. The original wires were hooked up in the switch and held in position on the side of the machine with a couple of cable clamps held on with screws in two more tapped holes. I now have forward and reverse.

Front%20Cover_zpsjj6dlr5o.jpg

The next order of business was covering the front of the head where the original spindle switch was located. I made a cover out of 3/16" thick aluminum plate. Mounting holes were drilled in the corners and holes were drilled and tapped to re-mount the spindle speed chart. I drilled and tapped four holes in the head casting and mounted the cover and the speed plate.

This was an inexpensive and easy upgrade.

I am currently in the process of gathering parts and materials to put this mill on CNC control.

Nice upgrade!

Speaking of left hand drills, they are the ones that I go to for broken or stripped out screws. As you note in many cases they grab and remove the screw for you. No industrial maintenance shop should be without them.

Latest posts

Back