New Old Die File Machine For The Shop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preeber

Reaction score
I found and purchased this 1930's vintage Oliver S1 Die Filer and it is a really handy machine for small projects. I did a short video on it that I would like to share with you.

https://youtu.be/HnYVYqF4Gms

Hi P,

Looks like you have an overarm missing, you have the one for blade support but there should be one for holding down the job to the table.
Without that one you run the risk of having unwanted dental work fairly quickly. When you get a bit more used to it for profiling larger jobs, you will find that holding things down with your fingers just isn't possible for more than a couple of minutes as the job is trying to lift itself off the table all the time you are filing (you set the file to cut on the upstroke)
This is the spring loaded head with the hold down built in, maybe yours has an empty hole that one could be fitted.

File5.jpg

Laying on the bench between the machine and oil can is the dedicated hold down with a support roller on the top shaft for those larger files.

File3.jpg

I was lucky and managed to get a set of the correct files for mine, but they are becoming more rare now, and with that, more expensive.

I hope this helps a little, but just enjoy it for what it is and does.

John

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back