Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Steve,welcome from another newby.I have just learned where the on off switch is in my lathe.HELP !!!!

Best wishes. Ian

Hello everyone,

This is the third time I have tried this post. I am much more comfortable with a lathe & a mill than I am with these computers. If this thing works for me this time, I'll come back and introduce myself.

Regards,

Arv

Welcome Arv.

Glad to see you finally made it.
Gail in NM,USA

Hello,

I recently discovered this forum and it seems to be one of the most active for model engine builders. Many of the names are familiar from other forums. The variety of subjects make it very interesting. I try to sign on at least twice a day just to keep up with the posts.

A little background on me: I have been around machines and machine shops for over 55 years. I first got interested in small engines after I retired. Never having worked on engines of any kind, I kind of had to start from scratch.

My first engine was a simple single cylinder steam engine that I built from scrap I had around my hobby shop. I run it on compressed air and was really tickled when it finally did run. After that one I built several variations of engines I found on the Internet. Eventually my kids gave me a PM Research casting kit for a Mill Engine. This one really looked nice and eventually run nice.

I went to a threshing show in western Minnesota in 2004, They had a large model engine show and I saw my first model I.C. Engines there and have been hooked on them every since. I have built several casting sets and some from scratch. The casting sets are getting kind of spendy so I really interested in some scratch built engines. This forum seems to be the place to find them.

I am presently building a New Holland engine from a casting set. This project has to last me all winter. When I saw Brian Rupnow's "slinky", I just had to stop and build one. I run it with a Hit & Miss that I built from scratch. I wanted to get it done in time to show the grand kids at Christmas time. Thanks for the idea Brian!!!

Enough babbling for awhile. I will attempt to get my "slinky" video posted.

Arv,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

It's nice to know I'm not alone in having difficulties with Bill Gates "Quick thinking Idiot"

Best Regards
Bob

Howdy Arv,
Welcome to the fun house.

I'm an old, new member as well, but I feel like I've known these guys all my life. You couldn't have found a more welcoming forum on the net my friend

Gotta post them videos though,
Kermit

Going to try this and see if it works.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnlQVeaX0BE[/ame]

Welcome Arv. Seems you have the basics covered now...posting, videos, etc., we'll look forward to more.

Bill

I'm jealous i wish i had the skill to build one. very nice.
& Welcome home
maybe one day i can build something that nice. in the mean time ill keep turning chips making piles of chips & culy strips

Great one Arv !

I hear a lot of missed cycles on your Hit & Miss so it looks like you have plenty of power available for another attachment. No pressure but, what'll it be?

earl...

One more and the owners of HMEM will have to consider changing the name of this site to HME&SMM (Home Model Engine & Slinky Machine Machinist).

Welcome to the asylum, Arv. Gotta love that project you've put up.

The residents here are mostly harmless and still believe all this modern stuff is just a passing fad & we'll get back to real engines again one of these days. There is, of course, the minor issue of defining precisely what a real engine is but that may be due to the fact that, like standards, there are so many to choose from.

I tend to agree with them even though I like electric engines as well. As a result, I'm usually the resident bad example. :)

Best regards,

Kludge

Welcome Arv,

I don't think you should have a problem with the New Holland lasting the winter, mine has lasted me .......uhhh... OK, when it's done make sure you post pics. Might be enough shame to get mine out of its hiding place!

I'm new here myself and it seems like a great place to get away from the crowd.

Kevin

Welcome Steve!

There is no bottom of the barrel. Life's too short to reinvent the wheel, so instead of fussing around trying to learn how to deal with a different material why not save time and ask a guy who has already figured it out.

Kevin

Back