Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome aboard, Scott. The folks here are friendly, knowledgeable, rather diverse, creative and have a sense of humor that can catch one unaware if you're not keeping your eyes open.

You've got to watch out for that guy in Hawaii, though. He'd have to get a whole lot better to make it up to completely & totally insane, and gives whole new meaning to the words "strange" and "weird".

Have fun.

Best regards,

Kludge

Hey Scott, welcome to THE best place for people of our persuasion to "chillax", don't forget to post numerous progress reports on your projects .

David

SCOTTNGA said:
Hope to learn a couple things here. I interested in Model building to sharpen my machining skills. Always interested, had a an uncle was a machinist.

Scott

You'll learn plenty here, but whether any of it will be much use in Polite Society is open to debate.

Welcome.

tel said:
You'll learn plenty here, but whether any of it will be much use in Polite Society is open to debate.

Ummm ... Tel? I don't know how it is in Australia but on the States the sort of folks who hang out here aren't allowed out into Polite Society. Instead, we're deemed unfit to be among society of any sort (except ourselves) ... kind of like engineers but different.

Best regards,

Kludge

Hey Scott

Welcome to the club! Been to Conyers a few times when I lived in FL.

Eric

Welcome Scott!
Glad to see another South Easterner here. We have enough members to start having an occasional get together. Its been real tempting to plana covert mission to take up room in KVOM's new shop. Its so big I'm sure he wouldn't notice me. :big:
Tim

Welcome aboard Scott, don't worry about all the diverse ramblings, as you can tell we don't get out much :D ;D :D

;) CC

Cedge said:
Scott
Welcome aboard from a nearby neighbor. I'm in the Greenville area of upstate SC as is Zeusrekning (Tim). I've met Kvom, George Seal and hopefully, soon to meet Julian Garret... all ol' Georgia boys in good standing.

Are you perhaps the Scott upon whom George has become heaping pain and affliction?....LOL

Steve

No, Steve, that would be me. And yes, George is heaping MUCH pain and affliction upon me. In fact, he's dragging me away from home tomorrow at the crack of dawn to go with him to fetch his new surface grinder. Should be fun! ;-)

And Scott, welcome aboard. It's good to have another Georgia Boy around. I'm close by, in Monroe.

Scott

Scott
Not only is he getting you up too early... it gets much worse. I'll be part of the itinerary as well. The grinder is located within a couple of miles of here. Looking forward to meeting you.

Steve

Cedge said:
... it gets much worse. I'll be part of the itinerary as well.

Gawd elp you all ???

;) CC

but really ................ have a great day guys 8)

Hello everybody
Just submitted my first post so its only correct to let you all know who I am.I'm from just outside London in England and have spent 33 of my 50 years in engineering.From an apprenticeship in toolmaking,then manufacturing machine guns,rifles and small calibre (30mm and 25mm)tank and aircraft cannons.Then onto Jet engine parts,from the old Spey,Avon,Viper,RB 211,RB 199,Olympus concord engine,Pegasus Harrier engine, BMW/RR 710,715 and many others that I have forgotten.Mixed in with these I did airframe components for airbus wings,have done a spell on torpedo hull sections,armoured vehicle chassis parts,satellite components,radar equipment,some formula one car parts,and loads of other stuff.Have probably cut 90% of the materials used in industry over the past years from pure copper,brass,inconel and other nickel alloys,cast iron,cast aluminium,high tensile airframe aluminium with and without lithium,magnesium,titanium and many types of steel.I got fed up with this about 5 years ago and changed career to start working on the England to France and Belgium high speed railway as part of the train maintenance team.
However I recently found that I miss cutting metal and have got myself a small lathe and mill and have started to construct small items,including a couple of stuart models steam engines.Its so much more fun turning a 3" flywheel than loading up a 3 ton aluminium billet to start on a plane wing part.I hope to build an i/c engine next so will be watching these pages for a suitable project.

Sorry for the long story/autobiography but it may be handy if anybody has a query about any of the above stuff that I may be able to help with(obviously once they have tried everywhere else and all thats left is the bottom of the barrel).

best regards Steve C

G'day and welcome Steve

grab a cuppa and some nice biscuits and stroll on through the pages here
start some projects and SHOW US!! :)

cheers

jack

Welcome Steve. That's quite a list of experience and accomplishments !! No doubt, you can probably teach us a few things as well.

Regards,
Bill

Welcome Steve,
With all your experience I'm sure you'll be able to help many of us newbies ;)

Cheers,
Phil

Steve,

Wow, some extensive diverse experience you have!

Look forward to seeing whatever output you care to post.

Welcome

Al

Howdy from another Newbie in Houston Texas.

I've got zero experience turning metal and your knowledge of inconel has already helped my out.

Welcome to HMEM,
Kermit

no problem.I hope to learn a lot from all you current members,new and old.I am having a crash course in handle winding at present,all my years of cnc and button pushing have made me lazy.Its a lot steeper a learning curve with these small tasks than I remembered from my apprentice days.

best regards Steve C

Hi Steve welcome on board!!! :big: :big: :big:
Cheers
Paolo

Latest posts

Back