New Member from Montana, USA - Photos

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly

Reaction score
Howdy Folks, Greetings from the Rocky Mountains:
I'm a new member that has been following this outstanding forum for some time. After watching and "listening" to the absolutely impressive amount of machine shop talent on this forum, I've decided to take the plunge and join the fun. Here's a bit of background: When I was in my teen age years, I worked with my Dad in his home machine shop. He was an outstanding craftsman and taught me the basics of machine tool operation, an enduring education that I've treasured for the past half century. When he passed away about 20 years ago, I stored the equipment for later use. Now that I'm "Redirected" aka "Retired", a few years ago I pulled the equipment out of storage and started a journey down memory lane. What and experience this has been.
The basic inventory of equipment that I have is a Logan 9" lathe, Clausing vertical knee mill, bandsaw, drill presses and more tools that I know how to use.
So, for my membership dues in this organization I decided to construct my first model engine. Dad built a number of cast models in his later years, but I never made a steam model. As so many of you recommend, I decided to dust off my machining skills by building a basic wobble engine. The following photos highlight a design I found on the internet by Paul Jorgenson. I've taken some liberties with his design and added a few modifications, just for fun. Having not built a flywheel before I messed around with conventional designs and came up with this one. Then, since I screwed up the crank shaft sizing, I "fixed" my mistake by installing a ball bearing. Overall it was great fun and now has inspired me to move on to other engines, such as some of Elmer's other basic models.
// Curly
WobbleEngine-4-3.jpg

WobbleEngine-18-10.jpg

WobbleEngine-12-8.jpg

WobbleEngine-22-11-1.jpg

A very nice looking model , Curly. I especialy like the flywheel , sharp corners and a good finish on the inside. what type of tool did you use to turn the recess ? O, and welcome to the forum, hopefully I only have about 5 years before I'm 'Redirected' myself and can spend more time in the shed!
happy turning
peter

Welcome to one of the greatest hobbies around. It looks like you've remembered quite a bit from long ago. We'll look forward to more work from you.
gbritnell

Welcome to the forum Curly!!! ;D

A great start down memory lane for you!!!
Now how about a video of it running???

Andrew

Welcome Curly...that quite a nice little engine for having been away from mavhining for so long. You should fit right in here and will look forward to your contributions and future work. Congrats on the retirement too!!

Bill

Welcome to the forum. Where are you at in Montana? I am in southeast Idaho. Lots of learning on this site.

Mike

Thanks all for the kind words. Regarding the somewhat goofy looking flywheel: It actually was a progression of "what the heck do I do now" steps. I finally figured out that I need to hold it on to the crank with a set screw (aka grub screw), thus the need for a flat on the crankshaft. After machining away the interior to make the hub, I realized that I needed an access hole in the outer rim to get drill and tap the hole. So, I milled a recess in the rim... but then I realized it would be out of balance... so I cut three more notches in the rim to make it symmetrical. But, I didn't like the look of that, so I milled four holes in the face of the flywheel to give it a bit more bling - used a rotary table on the mill for the notches and holes. As I said earlier, this project was sort of an adventure in rediscovering machine tool operation.

Mike, I live in SW Montana, near Bozeman. For you on the other side of the pond, we are about 80 miles north of Yellowstone National Park.

Curly,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome to the forum curly, nice finish on the brass, and what a great way to spend your retirement! ;)

My machine shop is my refuge from an otherwise hectic schedule. When not engaged in learning a new machining method, I am heavily dedicated to supporting a growing number of Wounded Warriors returning from the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. I am a Team Leader for a specialized organization, Warriors and Quiet Waters, that uses Fly Fishing as a rehabilitative and therapeutic method of coping with physical and mental wounds. This work has been a life changing activity for me, there is nothing quite like teaching a 20 year old with one arm how to fly fish, or watching a double amputee walking along a stream on new prosthetics and catching fish.
You can see what we do by visiting our website and viewing a short video. www.warriorsandquietwaters.org
// Curly

Latest posts

Back