New Member and learer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azironwoiod

Reaction score
I am just starting to learn lathes. I am an accountant by training, but have always wanted to learn to run a lathe. Now I know I would like to learn a little about milling also. I have just started to turn some soft stuff like aluminum, a little mild metal. Very slowly. I don't feel good with that metal turning in my face and getting so close to that chuck spinning so fast. Time to adjust, I guess.

I have started a stirling air engine and have a question. I have turned 2 pieces of aluminum to just over an 1/8 inch. 4.5" square. Now I don't know how to get it round? I have not found or seen anything on the boards I've been reading. I know I can't chuck it and turn it. I only have a chuck. Is the only option left to me to buy a metal blade and try to cut it on a small wood bandsaw to a round shape and then file it on down to size. Anyone any suggestions. Thanks for any advice,

I like the site. Good reading.
Jim

I assume the finished part is 1/8" thick and about 4 1/2" diameter circle. If that is right, you can mount the part on a short piece of bar that you can hold in the chuck. Is there a hole in the center you could put a screw into the short piece? Maybe put another short piece of bar on the front side, and hold it in place with a center in the tailstock.Use the tailstock to clamp the two together. Cut it close with the bandsaw if you want, that will make it easier. Also you might do both at the same time if they are supposed to be the same. Use super glue to hold the two together, and also on the short pieces of bar. Heat the parts to separate them later. Don't do anything you aren't confident is safe, but I think you can hold the pieces and turn them round in the lathe.

I'm sure there will be some other ideas.

Doug

Jim :
1) Welcome to the board.
2) Sounds like you are building a low delta T Stirling. That may be a bit bold for a first project I suggest you go with an air pot for the power piston and cylinder.
3) as for making the plates round
a) center punch a mark in the center of the piece and mark a circle with a scribe or compass that will hold a fine line marker. I personally like the fine line marker.
b) cut the circle out on your wood band saw you should have three teeth of the blade touching the metal. I use my "wood" cutting band saw for cutting aluminum on a regular basis.
c) place several pieces of foam mounting(double sided tape ) to the side of the plate on the opposite side of the punch mark
mount your face plate on the lathe spindle. and the live center in the tail stock .
d) place the center punch mark against the point of the live center and then press the plate up against the face plate using the live center. make sure the tail stock handle is at the 1 o clock position as observed from the tail stock end of the lathe.
e carefully turn the outside of the plate on the lathe feeding by hand. take light cuts to keep the part from spinning on the face plate.
any questions please ask.
Tin

You are using a metal lathe, right? I know some people turn Al on wood lathes, but that seems very sketchy to me. Sounds like you need to put a 4-jaw chuck on the shopping list too..

Jim
You're where I was three years back. The whole thing was new and my scrapped parts out numbered my successes. Take your time and think your through the intended turning session, before you begin. Try to figure out how to do as many different cuts as possible in one chucking. Don't get in any hurry and soon the scrapped parts will be fewer than the successful ones. The tips and tricks you'll find scattered around here are pure gold and would have been priceless when I was struggling to get to know how different metals and machines behave when you are doing it right. I sure know all about how they behave when you do it wrong...LOL

I recently turned a 1/2 x 4 x 4 1/2 rectangle to a perfectly round disk using the superglue idea. I faced a nice even end on a 2 inch slug of aluminum , glued the plate to the end and used the tail stock to pin it long enough to dry. It worked a treat and never once tried to escape. Just take it slow until the hard corners are gone and away you go.

Steve

Latest posts

Back