New guy from SW Washington

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared

Reaction score
Hi, folks!

I stumbled across this forum while searching for info on a mill and for the last couple weeks I've been peeking in on things. I'm amazed at the quality of work you guys are cranking out and the always-positive attitude around here. I learn something with every post I read and I'm loving it. I find myself going to bed two hours later than I planned just reading this forum. I've wanted to build an engine for several years and this is going to be very influential. It's already answered a lot of questions.
I've got a Jet 9x20 and a Mini-Mill that I've been playing with for the last few years. My main problem is a lack of tooling which stems from a lack of funds due to the economic downturn, but that just makes me think creatively so it's not all bad.
My main experience with machinework is carving crawlspaces and basements out of dirt with heavy equipment but unfortunately that doesn't transfer over much to a lathe or mill. I've been commercial fishing for the last year and it gives me several days at a time in the late winter and spring to tinker in the garage and opportunities to check out boats. Old, heavy, slow turning boat engines that thump rather than whine have fascinated me and today I was able to go aboard a retired fishing boat and watch the original 1926 Atlas Imperial 4 cylinder run. Someday I'll build a model of one.
But to start with I'm halfway through the E-Z Engine for a first build and it's been a lot of fun. I'm thinking Chuck Fellows' John Deere is going to be next. Somewhere along the line I want to get into gas engines and build something I can put in a radio-controlled tugboat. So many things I want to do...

Hi Jared! Welcome! wEc1

I too learn a lot just from reading the posts here. And yes, it's refreshing to see a bunch of positive minded folks gathered on a forum site!

Of course you do need to post some pictures of your build. :big:

Welcome to the forum Jared.
Halfway through E-Z eh? Pics! Pics Please!

Jared,

Welcome to our forum wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome Jared

Bill

Thanks, guys. I'll try to put up some pics but the next several weeks might get pretty hectic with the holidays and work, so I can't promise anything. But I'll try.

Jared :
welcome looks like you are pretty well set up to get started. Do not be afraid to ask questions. There is a lot of help here.
Tin

Back