New Boy

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madgrandad

Reaction score
Hello,

I came across this forum as I was searching for some information to aid me in refurbishing a used Mini Mill I bought recently. I have to say what a marvelous site this is, everything I ask someone has "been there, done that" and came across quite a few answers that I had not yet asked the question.
I am a retired Toolmaker, who vowed never again to pick up a piece of metal, but there you go! I live in Steyning, a beautiful small town at the foot of the south downs in Sussex. After a conversation with a friend, it's usually the way isn't it, I decided to try my hand at building static steam engines. I grew up in Oldham, Lancashire, surrounded by cotton mills and often went to watch the huge mill engines working, I was fascinated by them. My ultimate goal is to build a model mill engine complete with rope wheel.
I have half my garage set out as a workshop, I have plans to take over all of it, with my milling machine plus a small pillar drill, and plenty of space for marking-out and assembly. My lathe is housed in a shed at the bottom of the garden, so I suppose I operate a "Plant".
I have a "Warco" mini mill and a "South Bend" 9" lathe. The lathe is four years older than I am and works forty times better, it is a superb machine tool. The mini mill?, well, it needs quite a lot of remedial work before i can use it with confidence. And that is where your forum comes in, the answers to all my questions are there. The first thing i shall do is to get rid of that awful return spring and fit a counter weight to the head.
Thank you, to the people who set up this forum and to all the contributors keep up the good work.
By the way, the epithet "madgrandad" is not because I'm crazy or angry, it's just that I do things that are, well, mad.

madgrandad said:
I grew up in Oldham, Lancashire, surrounded by cotton mills and often went to watch the huge mill engines working, I was fascinated by them. My ultimate goal is to build a model mill engine complete with rope wheel.

madgrandad,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

I grew up in Lancaster and my Mum was a Warper, my Dad worked for Storey Bros. and the cotton mills generated their own power with 11 Lancashire boilers in the main "White Cross" factory. I used to go in with Dad on Saturday mornings and spent most of my time in the boiler and engine houses. OH&S were not words then and I had a great time.

Best Regards
Bob

madgrandad

Welcome to HMEM. I am glad that you were able to find some answers to questions that you haven't asked as yet. If you do have any questions just ask, there is always someone around to answer or at least give an opinion. It seems with the equipment that you already have that you have a good start for making your "model mill engine complete with rope wheel.". Keep the camera handy as we would like to follow along with your build. :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Welcome Madgrandad!

Ahhhh another "steamy" We're taking over ya know ;D

Dave

Latest posts

Back