New Aussie with Lathe :-)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not wanting to derail a thread on lathes, but if you get hold of some baked oak chips from a winery outlet supplier, you'll be amazed at the richness a few in the cask can add, as oak leeches out and starts dwindling over time, oak chips are beaut for "refreshing" the alcohol!

cheers, Ian

Hi Ian, don't worry about derailing the thread, I too love "beverage hobbies". I brew my own beer from grain and do full mashes. I also have experimented with oak. I find oak cubes provide a more multi-dimensional effect than chips. They are basically 1cm cubes of diced barrel. They are charred on one side. Just smelling the bag is heaven :D I can't find them in OZ though and have to import from the US. Ive used them in oaked mead. Good times....

Awesome Dave, sounds like you gave me permission to respond OT! Makes me wanna get my still out for a run. I have tried oak a few times and the result is nice but I settled in a scotch that says don't add to oaked spirit to save the stuffing round.

Jerry, taking your keg to a winery for top ups is an awesome idea. I used to live near some wineries. It was kinda fun filling up a tiny keg straight from a 10 foot high barrel of port! As for going home via the Alice, it would be a great way home if you had the time. Without looking at a map, i would head for Ban Ban Springs, over to Kingaroy somehow and on to Dalby via Bunya Mountains and out. alternatively, head a bit further north from Ban Ban and go out via Monto, and up and out via Theodore and Emerald which might be shorter. Dunno what you drive but if a 4WD, take the shortcut via Winton and Boulia and onwards via the Plenty Highway. That is my trip next year.... Last trip was Lake Eyre and your Flinders Ranges. Maybe I should take my keg!

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.

Jerry: don't forget your 3 pack of Bundaberg Royal Liqueur.

Jim

A big THANKYOU to metalmad for gifting his milling attachment to me. Mate, it was great to see your workshop and projects! Its given me a lot of ideas. I'm keen to start some casting now too!

Now I just need to find a way to mount the milling attachment and I'll be laughing.

Thanks again,

Dave.

Hi Dave
No worries Mate
I hope it helps you get started.
If you remove the tool post you should be able to bolt it up, once you have it mounted post a pic.
Im glad its gone to a good home :cool:
Pete

Back