New Aussie with Lathe :-)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davewaldo

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I thought its time I introduce myself. My name is Dave and live in Brisbane Australia. I'm an Emergency/trauma nurse and too many hobbies already! I've been lurking on the forum for a few months and learning loads (thanks).

I've always wanted a metal lathe as I thoroughly enjoyed the process of turning parts when in school. So recently I bought a Hafco AL-320. I've slowly been getting the shed sorted. Its very modest, just a 3m x 3m shed. I also bought a 2.4m x 1m shed at the same time as my lathe so I could empty the now "workshop" shed of all gardening gear. Still lots to do but I'm happy so far. The bench is one made by my Grandfather soon after the war, nice solid steel that I've reinforced with two 150x50 square section steel running the length under the 40mm kitchen bench top. Levelling feet added too.

Today I built the drawers / shelves underneath from the rackit system.

Many future plans, but I'm just sticking to the lathe at the moment, no room for a mill (but no doubt I'll start looking at them before long!).

Not sure what I'll make just yet, but I like the idea of making simple steam engines, and gadgets like gyroscopes etc.

All I've done so far is machine the adapter/securing nut for my BXA QCTP, but I really had fun and learnt a lot about safe procedures and grinding my own HSS tools. I've watched some good video tutorials and was given a bunch of books for christmas (many recommended on this site).

Looking forward to this new hobby, thanks for reading.

Dave.

mylathe.jpg

Welcome Dave, your off to a good start. Do you have any milling capabilities ?, although there are plenty of things that you can make with a lathe alone. Made a slide whistle a while ago, although the wife gets a bit cranky when I play with it too much. I recently bought a Rack It shelving system, very well thought out, one of the best that I have seen.

Paul.

Greetings Dave. I will be driving to Brisvagas in April then heading off to Bundaburg. I don't care what the family will be doing but I'm going to the distillary.

Hi jerrybilt, been to the distillery at Bundaberg, great place. My wife and I went on a paid tour, they included vouchers for drinks after the tour. I used both mine and the wife's, great.

Paul.

Hi and welcome Dave. Thanks for posting.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Swifty - I don't have any milling ability at the moment, although I did consider buying a milling attachment for the lathe however they all seem a bit crap.

rodw - I think in the back of my mind I know I could squeeze a mill in my shed, but at the moment I'm trying to ignore the urges. Maybe just a small one like a Seig X2 :)

Hi jerrybilt, been to the distillery at Bundaberg, great place. My wife and I went on a paid tour, they included vouchers for drinks after the tour. I used both mine and the wife's, great.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

I think I'll also go on the paid tour also. We'll be coming back through the Vic. highlands.

Jerry.

G'day Dave, welcome along, this is a great forum, you'll have fun with this hobby.

Terry

Greetings Dave. I will be driving to Brisvagas in April then heading off to Bundaburg. I don't care what the family will be doing but I'm going to the distillary.

Don't forget to bring a wooden keg home with you.
http://www.bundykegs.com/
I did way back in 1985 and it has been kept filled with port ever since and a magical transformation occurs about a week after you top it up with cask port. (I have used cheap 2 litre Morris tawny for the last 20 years). Honestly my port holds its head up against any of the premium ports even the mythical Para which we dd a taste test against recently. Back when I bought it, the kegs were made out of broken staves from the Bundy Rum vats, not sure if that is still the case!

My keg is still in good condition after almost 30 years which is a testament to the craftmanship.

I did way back in 1985 and it has been kept filled with port ever since and a magical transformation occurs about a week after you top it up with cask port. (I have used cheap 2 litre Morris tawny for the last 20 years). Honestly my port holds its head up against any of the premium ports even the mythical Para which we dd a taste test against recently. Back when I bought it, the kegs were made out of broken staves from the Bundy Rum vats, not sure if that is still the case!

My keg is still in good condition after almost 30 years which is a testament to the craftmanship.

Good idea on the keg Rod. I just might get one. About the port : I'll see what one of the local wineries can do. Some of the wineries are just up the road from me. The missus wanted to drive back home via the Alice ... I don't think she has enough leave for that so we'll be coming back through the Victorian highlands.

Jerry.

1) welcome to the forum.
2) I have to say starter lathes are not what they used to be .
3) I started with a humble 7x10 .
4) I do not envy the taxes on your machines
5) Where I live production machines are tax exempt to buy. But sears Home depot Llowes etc do not know this and follow the rule and the state is not about to tell them.
6) i would love to have a lathe like that but I have several smaller ones so no complaints.
Tin

Welcome Dave, we should have enough blokes to do a metric engine team build soon

Jim

Welcome Dave
you will enjoy that little lathe but will need some form of milling as well.
I have a old milling attachment some where in the shed that your welcome to in order to get started.
PM me if your interested.
Hi Tin
dont clocks go the other way round on your side of the globe ??
Pete

Thanks guys,

Tin - thanks mate, it's good to know my lathe should serve me well. It is a shame everything is so much more expensive over here though!

Pete - wow thanks Pete! That's very kind of you! I'd love to take you up on your offer. I'll send you a message.

Cheers,

Dave.

Not wanting to derail a thread on lathes, but if you get hold of some baked oak chips from a winery outlet supplier, you'll be amazed at the richness a few in the cask can add, as oak leeches out and starts dwindling over time, oak chips are beaut for "refreshing" the alcohol!

cheers, Ian

G'Day Dave,
Welcome to the forum. I am still a new boy as regards to this forum but have learnt a lot in a short time.
Regards,
Don.

Back