First post, Greetings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Thom

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new member in my 70’s based in The Midlands UK I’ve done more teenuts and tool holders, fly cutters etc than anyone might need! If I don’t at least attempt something that turns or spins soon I fear I might be forced by my wife to sell mill and lathe! So I’ve been lurking here in search of inspiration, but a little off put by the vast experience and skill of many contributors. But I’m here now so trying to find the EZ plans for a contender or back to searching the dreaded Amazon for a (sssh kit)

Welcome Keith, glad to have you here.

Everyone here had to build that first model (or is scheming to build that first model).

I have built one engine, but I am hooked for life, and intend to build a few more.

Good luck in finding an engine you like, and building it.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, new member in my 70’s based in The Midlands UK I’ve done more teenuts and tool holders, fly cutters etc than anyone might need! If I don’t at least attempt something that turns or spins soon I fear I might be forced by my wife to sell mill and lathe! So I’ve been lurking here in search of inspiration, but a little off put by the vast experience and skill of many contributors. But I’m here now so trying to find the EZ plans for a contender or back to searching the dreaded Amazon for a (sssh kit)
Welcome to the group

Dave

My wife had me sell my SB 9A my down size to mini lathe in November.
I pickup and move this lathe .
It is 8x14 and weight is 110 pounds . Maybe some I find a roll to desk and put the lathe inside.

Dave

https://www.walmart.com/ip/8x14-225...Motor-for-DIY-Wood-Metal-Work-More/5116832219

It is a hobby; not a job! For example, think how much money golfers blow each year chasing a small ball over lands that would be much more productive as farmland. What does anybody get out of that?

Craig

One first things to buy is a good tool post .
The is four way tool post needs shims to work right.
The Aloris type is fully adjustable and makes life simple
tool post.jpg

What project do you use the radius turner on?

Dave
That will be the Coles/Ray Corliss which has many small ball ends on adjusting rods and various rods which after turning the balls, they will be trimmed to flats with holes thru the middle for attaching to various connected points. Then four larger balls, two for the swing weights, one for the lever arm and one for the top ball of the governor. Also the difficult throttle body has a larger radius that is best done with a radius turner. I really thimpfk this throttle is a bad design but fun and challenging to build. I need two of them.

I partially made one years ago, but have changed some of the dimensions to the threaded openings. In this Coles/Ray there are too many different nut/bolts, screws and openings with threads that have too many different threads so I have changed many of them to more standard sizes just to reduce the mess of tooling and effort. I will be starting new throttle bodies today, I hope.

That will be the Coles/Ray Corliss which has many small ball ends on adjusting rods and various rods which after turning the balls, they will be trimmed to flats with holes thru the middle for attaching to various connected points. Then four larger balls, two for the swing weights, one for the lever arm and one for the top ball of the governor. Also the difficult throttle body has a larger radius that is best done with a radius turner. I really thimpfk this throttle is a bad design but fun and challenging to build. I need two of them.

I partially made one years ago, but have changed some of the dimensions to the threaded openings. In this Coles/Ray there are too many different nut/bolts, screws and openings with threads that have too many different threads so I have changed many of them to more standard sizes just to reduce the mess of tooling and effort. I will be starting new throttle bodies today, I hope.
Any photos 📸

Dave

Latest posts

Back