Need Help VFD-Variable Frequency Drive

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nel2lar

Reaction score
I am in the market for a VFD and would like a little help on just where to buy and reputation of the manufacture from some with experience in this area. I have a Millrite MVN powered by a Dayton 3 Phase, 2 hp, 3450 rpm on 208-220/440 volt power. But I have single phase service and have read how the VFD might just be what I need, help me out if you can.
Thanks
Nelson

VFD is pretty much the answer for low HP 3ph powered by 1ph service. 2 hp sizes usually want 220 single phase in. Take a look at Teco or WEG VFD's from Dealers Electric. There are others, but Teco has a good rep. Various choices, figure about 175-300 bucks for 2+hp. Dealers used to be best price around, haven't comparison shopped lately, so check that.

I've bought twice from http://dealerselectric.com/, first for my mill and second for my lathe.
The first was a GE / Fuji brand and works fine - even has bells and whistles like Modbus serial remote control capability. The second was a very basic Teco model that does the job on the lathe. I am satisfied with both.
You will need 220/240 single phase in as all the models I can find in 115 in only go up to 1hp.
No need to oversize the drive though, get a 2HP and you'll be set.
Mike

At work we use all sorts of VFD's. Frankly most of them are pretty good these days. Personally I've been impressed with the Automation Direct line as being very good. They seem to take all sorts of abuse including having the enclosure filled with 400 watts of RF energy when an RF cable burnt off. Mind you this a rather hot machine cabinet in normal operation.

I also have a VFD from Automation Direct powering my Bridgeport. The fact that the company is only a couple of miles from my house is convenient.

I want to thank all that have had a comment, good or bad. That was what I was looking for and I got it thanks to all of you. I made the purchased yesterday and now wait till it get here. I bought a 2.2KW 220V VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE INVERTER VFD 3HP 10A, 220 volts single phase in and 208/240 three phase out. This is the unit I chose: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-2KW-220V-VARIABLE-FREQUENCY-DRIVE-INVERTER-VFD-3HP-10A-/262955366802? Almost time to play.
Again thanks to all who helped.
Nelson

A few thoughts. First, you should use the start/stop buttons on the VFD panel to power the motor on/off. Using the machine's switch can damage the drive. On my machine I removed the switch and rewired.

Second, I remoted the switch panel via a cable. The VFD lives in its own wall-mounted box safe from dust and swarf, while the panel is attached to the mill.

My panel has a rotary switch to control speed. Not sure how yours works.

A few thoughts. First, you should use the start/stop buttons on the VFD panel to power the motor on/off. Using the machine's switch can damage the drive. On my machine I removed the switch and rewired.

Second, I remoted the switch panel via a cable. The VFD lives in its own wall-mounted box safe from dust and swarf, while the panel is attached to the mill.

My panel has a rotary switch to control speed. Not sure how yours works.

Can You forward/reverse from the remoted panel without entering programing mode?

I would say for the vast majorityof VFD's yes - you can reverse without programming. You don't even need to remote the panel as long as you don't need to see the digital display for speed.
The VFD has input terminals for low voltage signals to control Forward / Reverse and variable speed.
On my lathe I repurposed the original FWD/OFF/REVERSE switch to control those inputs and I can dial in the speed with the panel mounted pot.
On my CNC mill I've connected to these terminals from the PC (through a break out board) and the CNC program can control the spindle. Before I got that going I had remote mounted a pot and switch to do as the lathe does.

IMG_20151201_215805.jpg

IMG_20151201_220011.jpg

IMG_20151201_220034.jpg

IMG_20151201_220114.jpg

IMG_20151201_220133.jpg

Thank You Ninefinger

My present set up is on picture.
3ph/3ph.
The control box was made by a deceased electrician and is full of relais.I asume it is to make no volt release .
I want to change to a modern single phase in /3ph out with a more sexy control panel and a flat cable connected remote like shown by Kvom .
If I ad a rev/off/forward switch will no volt release still be there?

WP_20170504_001[1].jpg

Hi Ninefinger

Can't see any ventilation slots or fan to cool the cabinet, better to keep some cooling air over the vfd, same applies to kvom, if the cabinet is dust tight seems it would also need forced ventilation via a filter.

Marcus

Here's a photo of my setup"

large.jpg

VFD is in NEMA box mounted on the wall. Control panel is on the arm alongside the DRO. Note small box next to motor where original motor switch was removed.

This setup was installed in late 2008. I did replace the control box when the plastic on the start and stop button wore through.

Hi Ninefinger

Can't see any ventilation slots or fan to cool the cabinet, better to keep some cooling air over the vfd, same applies to kvom, if the cabinet is dust tight seems it would also need forced ventilation via a filter.

Marcus

Marcus
I have thought about that and yes I'm going to have a fan run through the VFD.
Thanks
Nelson

Niels
I am going to use the 3 phase side to do my reversing, just swap two wires and done. I will be using a regular forward off reverse switch.
Thanks for all you do.
Nelson

It is considered very bad taste to start/stop and reverse on the 3 phase side.
My converter (the blue thing ) has built in ventilator that only works when needed.
My main reason for changing is a more sexy look (old man buying Ferrari?)
and earth fault problem connecting 3ph/3ph inverter.
Modern 1ph/3ph hopefully has not

You can not flip the wires to reverse direction, with a VFD. In fact you should not turn off input power, until after the motor comes to a rest. Controlling the motor is all done electronically, low volt wiring 22awg size. If at top speed in fwd and you switch to reverse, motor will slow to stop and the accelerate to same speed in reverse. Soft start soft stop. It is selectable, but instant 3 phase start is not in the program.

While mills don't need much braking power, as the rotating mass is low, lathes do need help slowing down, so there are multiple ways available to assist in run down. Depends on the model VFD etc.

Be sure the VFD is sized for single phase input, there is often a derating when a 2hp unit is run with single as opposed to 3 phase, an undersized unit will live a short life. Electronics like a VFD are not forgiving like contact points in a contactor etc.

Both my Hitachi VFDs have been great, one now 11 years old the other 8.The SJ model with the detachable panel. They are both used with remote switching and control pots. Remote mounting the display so I can see it.

I don't have a braking resistor on my mill, but if I were to do a lot of power tapping using just the VFD control I would want one. That said, I do get some power faults using high RPMs (overspeed) when I hit the stop button. At that point the motor just free spins and I can stop it with the spindle brake/lock lever.

Kvom:

Check to see if your drive allows DC injection braking. Drives that allow for external dynamic braking resistors will sometimes have this option. This will give you some motor braking without the need for an external dynamic brake resistor, it applies a DC current to the motor. You usually can apply a current of up to the motor's full load amps to help brake the rotating assembly.

Don

I don't need braking in normal use, and if I did a braking resistor is less than $75. The GS2 drive I use doesn't support the DC injection apparently. A resistor would eliminate the overloads get occasionally, but when they happen I manually brake the spindle and do a stop/reset.

Latest posts

Back