Need Help VFD-Variable Frequency Drive

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I bought one from China and I am thrilled with it. The read out on the front panel goes from 0 to 400, Before I started it I dropped it to 50, that was not bad, I need to map it so I know what it is doing. This unit will go from forward to reverse and back. Ramps down then reverses and ramps up, smooth as they come. Now to learn the programming and set it up. attached is a pic of the unit, 3 hp, single phase in and 3 phase out. I'm happy for now.
Nelson

2.2KW 220V VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE   1.jpg

2.2KW 220V VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE  3.jpg

2.2KW 220V VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE 2.jpg

Hi Ninefinger

Can't see any ventilation slots or fan to cool the cabinet, better to keep some cooling air over the vfd, same applies to kvom, if the cabinet is dust tight seems it would also need forced ventilation via a filter.

Marcus

the lathe is operated manually and rarely gets a duty cycle of 20% (i don't work too fast). I've never felt it get hot or even very warm.

The mill, the VFD has a built in cooling fan that starts stops on its own, and I run it with the door open/ajar, its mounted on a wall away from the mill so low risk of chips, and it has a separate disconnect switch for when I'm done for the session.
Mike

edit - I should also mention the climate - both these machines are in my basement and stay within a few degrees of 20C or 68F. even with the door closed on the mill VFD the steel box has enough cooling surface to cope, with the VFD taking care of its hotest components with the fan. I could put in cooling vents but propping the door open is much easier.

Ninefinger:

Keep the enclosure door closed, that or make sure that you periodically blow out the cooling fins on your VFD. You'd be surprised how fast the crud and corruption builds up on them and then they cool no more. I work with drives all the time and even in a relatively clean environment they will quickly build up a layer of crud if they don't breath filtered air or aren't cleaned regularly.

Don

Ninefinger:

Keep the enclosure door closed, that or make sure that you periodically blow out the cooling fins on your VFD. You'd be surprised how fast the crud and corruption builds up on them and then they cool no more. I work with drives all the time and even in a relatively clean environment they will quickly build up a layer of crud if they don't breath filtered air or aren't cleaned regularly.

Don

Not to mention metal chips that fly about in a machine shop. These can easily destroy anything electronic if they fall in the right place.

As I stated previously, my VFD is enclosed in a NEMA box and only the keypad is near the mill. 8+ years with no hiccups. One other thing I've done is to tape over any open electrical sockets that are close to flying swarf.

Don
You can put the degree mark after the number just by holding the "alt" button down and type 248 on the keyboard, let go of "alt" key and wallah, the degree mark. °
Nelson

Yes I an US based but the same system was used to set up the original computers. It is parts of the dos used for writing the old programs and not the computers are smart to use it by itself.
Nelson
Try both ALT keys

I'm reasonably sure the 248 (or any of these types of codes) need to be entered on the number pad rather than the number keys along the top of the regular keyboard. It's a real hassle when using a netbook or similar.

Yes it is the number key pad to the right side of the keyboard. ° ☻ ♀ ◙ ◘ ■ Stuff like that hides under the ALT plus numbers. Some single digit work. ☺ ☻ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ • ◘ ○ 1 through 9

Nelson

Well the mill is up and running. The VFD was just as easy as wiring 110 v to anything. Love the ramp up to speed and ramp down to stop, forward to reverse without stopping first. And the variable speed make me feel like a real machine working. No belt, no wrench nothing to do but push a button. I will start to make plans to add a DC Brake soon.
Good to GO!
Nelson

Back