My start to Steve's V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good week in the shop
DSC00369.jpg

Great start! I have my plans too and the material should be delivered next week so I am just getting going building mine. Viewing your updates is a great motivator for me. Keep the pics coming.

Maxi

Now that is what i call some serious progress!!!! ;D

Looking great so far and i am sure there is a lot more to come!

Andrew

Robby,
Steve Huck is the designer and builder of the first one. He is floating around here and can sell you some plans.
stevehuckss396

It looks like the turning part on the throw is coming out fine but I have found that by using a bifurcated tip on your tool lessens the load and prevents it from chattering, although I was reaching much deeper than you are. It looks like its coming along very nicely.
gbritnell

I like the idea of using proofing alloy for holding the webs. How does that work out for you?

The tool is concaved which did help chattering. Ran into that before. This is my first attempt with the low temp alloy for support. Used a cut ring to close up the slot before poring. so far so good

Following your build with great interest. I wish I could build a V8 but at the moment it is way above my skill level and also I do not have cnc. Still, I am learning a lot from your photos.

Crankshaft done The low temp did not work well. it kept wanting to melt and fall out.
DSC00393.jpg

DSC00394.jpg

The crank looks great Bob. Like Steve said this is probably the most challenging piece to make. Although it looks simple compared to a cylinder head the chances for a catastrophe are just waiting to happen.
gbritnell

Looks very nice work on the crank shaft, bet you were sweating bullets the whole time. Now speaking of time, about how much do you think you have in making the crank?

Your engine is looking great. Your progress seems to be pretty fast. Can't wait to see it run.

I have about 8 to 10 hrs in the crank. 5 or 6 on saturday and about 4 on sunday. It was very nerve racking when the supports fell out. I ended up taping them in place to get thru the cuts. This whole project is going pretty good.

Back