My single cylinder engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borna

Reaction score
Hello All,
This is a new 4 cycle 1” bore x 1.5” stroke with 5.5” cast Iron flywheel.
I'm building this engine from scratch and started this on Feb and worked on it part time from time to time. I almost done like 95% with all the parts so here is a sneak preview.

001a.jpg

002a.jpg

003a.jpg

005a.jpg

Going to be a nice looking engine. Is it based on Jan Ridder's 4 stroke design?

Chuck

That is a very good question. Just searched on Jan Ridder and yes it is him :D.
I hope he doesn't mind ;)
I saw an engine in youtube while back and liked the look of it a lot. So decided to make something like that. So basically it based on Jan’s engine picture but not on his specifications.

Borna

borna said:
That is a very good question. Just searched on Jan Ridder and yes it is him :D.
I hope he doesn't mind ;)
I saw an engine in youtube while back and liked the look of it a lot. So decided to make something like that. So basically it based on Jan’s engine picture but not on his specifications.

Borna

Don't think there's any harm in building an engine that looks like somebody else's. Anyway, Jan is a good natured chap and he makes his plans available at no cost, so he will probably take pleasure from the fact that somebody admires his engines enough to make one like it.

Chuck

Nice looking engine borna. Looking forward to seeing it go.

Brock

Nice work Borna, will be watching this one!

Ok I almost there. Good compression, no valve leak. All parts are completed. Only thing is left is the ignition stuff.
Should be able to start running it by next weekend.
Kind of big fly wheel, not sure the best way to spin it?
Does this fits the criteria for project of the month?
Borna

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

Well done Borna,
Beautifully made, personally I would like to have seen a cutout for the flywheel rather than overhanging the baseboard. Just my preference though.
Graham

hello Borna and congratulations on a job well done! I am wondering if the balls in the cam followers (tappets) actually rotate (like a ballpoint pen) also which method did you use to make the cams? Cheers.
Stew

Thanks all,
Graham, that is a very good idea. I think I am going to consider a cutout for the flywheel.

Stew, yes the balls are rotating freely in the tappets. For the CAM I made the blank on the lathe then finishe it on the mill with the rotary table.

Thanks all,
Graham, that is a very good idea. I think I am going to consider a cutout for the flywheel.

Stew, yes the balls are rotating freely in the tappets. For the CAM I made the blank on the lathe then finishe it on the mill with the rotary table.

That`s a very nice looking engine!

Are the cam lobes hardened? I wonder if the balls in the tappets could carve a groove in the cam... :hDe:

No the cams are not harden. Do you think it needs to be?

For vehicular and industrial engines ,its a must to minimise wear. For this engine which runs for short demo periods,I would imagine it does not matter. Just my "two cents worth".

Checked two walmart stores and no Coleman fuel :(

Latest posts

Back