My Latest Project... A Stirling Fan

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
As a Christmas present I received the plans for a Jerry Howell Stirling Fan so I thought I would show you all what I've been up to the last couple of weeks. I have about 25% of the parts made ( the easy ones ) this set of plans presents a few challenges for me since I'm still a beginner, I work slow so I don't think I'm ready to give up my day job, just yet.
The new DRO on my lathe sure helps me make things more accurately but if I made these parts for a living I'd starve to death. I'll try to keep you posted of how the process is going, I would like to have this finished by the time it gets hot here in the summer time. It's snowing here today in the midwest so it's a good day to spend in the shop.

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

Very nice parts!

How did you make the slots for the blades?

I used a .032 thick slitting saw which is the same thickness as the brass pieces which were crazy glued together and cut and sanded to shape then separated with a little heat and finished up with a little edge sanding. Then I put them in the slots and drilled for the .062 roll pins, which I didn't drive all the way down because I thought I might want to remove them.
Note to self... I need to take more photographs

Here is todays work, I centered the base in the rotary table then tilted the head 11 degrees and then proceeded to drill four .250 holes 90 degrees apart for the support rods, which I made yesterday as you can see from the pics everything turned out OK for a change.

More to follow if anyone is interested... AH I think I'll show the pictures anyway.
IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

Yep, - We ARE interested - keep the pictures coming.

Really nice work. :bow:

Best Regards,
Bob

Jack said:
More to follow if anyone is interested... AH I think I'll show the pictures anyway.

You must be joking.
Of course we're interested.
I have seen this fan many times but have never seen a step by step
of it's build. I see you have the ball bearings in the fan support.
Did you get them from Jerry Howell or were they a local find?

Great work to date!

Rick

I have built several of Jerry's models and I always get his "Hard to Find Parts" I feel it is great deal and it saves me time trying to run around town tracking down little tiny bearings, graphite, pins, plastic, or delrin. Although I have found little bearings at the Hobby Store in the RC cars dept.

Looking good, Jack.

And yes, of course we're interested :D

Hope the shop is heated. I was out the garage this morning. Well, I was until I ran out of propane!!
It's freakin cold!!!

Kevin

My shop is located in one fourth of the basement in my house, so as long as I can keep the house warm the basement gets a little heat by osmosis, but it is usually warm enough to work in, but in a few months it will be cool enough to work in too. :fan:

Its looking great Jack. I just finished Jerry's mini-fan about a month back and a friend is currently working on the larger version like yours. Though similar in appearance (except for size) there are a good many construction difference between the two, like pinning the fan blades to the hub. Keep up the fine work and pictures. Of course we will want a vidoe too once completed :)

Regards,
Bill

Here is what I finished today... The Base to the fan project is now completed , all supports are in place along with the 4-40 set screws at the top and bottom of each 1/4" rod to hold everything in place. If you look very closely you can see the holes in the base by each rod. Tomorrow I plan on making another part, one of the stainless steel cylinders.

Jack in COLD, SNOWY St. Louis Rof}

finishedbase.jpg

Hi All
I made some more progress on my Stirling Fan today. I made the Hot Cap out of 303 stainless, turned it to size and bored the inside (with flat bottom no less)

IMG_0740.jpg

Made a fixture to hold it so that I could cut the top slots, .125 wide, .250 deep, talk about slow cranking

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

This little part only took 2 days, 2 pieces of steel and 2 .125 end mills, I think that I'm learning patience and persistance.

IMG_0748.jpg

Stay tuned I have more parts to make...

Jack

Hey Jack,
You've gotten a lot done since the last time I checked in. Looking good.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back