My Hoglet

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankshafter

Reaction score
Hey.
I started on my Hoglet- project in jun. and I like to show you guys some pic of my new addiction. So far it has been pure fun to build this engine. I know some of you are started with your project and many more who like to start so,if you do not have the drawings/plans get them and have fun building the Hoglet.

Here we go:
Here is the crankwebs.
DSCF2034.jpg

Here are the finished crank
DSCF2031.jpg

DSCF2041.jpg

Crankcase, crank, and the "fork-rod".
DSCF2065.jpg

Regards
CS

CS,

Boy that's a great start on the Hoglet. Looks super! :bow: I have the plans and I'm seriously contemplating this build so you have my complete attention to completion.

Thanks for sharing and anxiously awaiting more pictures.

Jeff

Your parts look great!

Glad to see you got some pics up. I know what you mean by addiction. Once I saw the light at the end of the tunnel I was going full bore. 'Twas all I could think about.

Hi guys.
Some more pics. of my Hoglet.
Here I am ready to fit the liner in the "cooling fins blank" Heated the blank a little and some Loctite and it was all set.
DSCF2066.jpg

Boring the cyl. and later i have them lapped and polished.
DSCF2069.jpg

Cutting the fins.
DSCF2070.jpg

1 ready one to go

DSCF2071.jpg

Regards CS

wow looks good so far. iv started my hoglet too. they seem to be all the rage on this board. i guess iv caught the bug too.

CS, great start on the engine.

In all my years around the trade I have never seen a such a beautiful curled chip come off a cutoff tool before. ;D ;D I am talking about the tool you used to cut your cooling fins. Can you share with us the type of cutting tool you use or how you sharpen it? You must have some technique that most of us don't have. ???

It's looking really good, CS. Thanks for posting your progress!

Dean

Hi putputman.
Here are the cutoff blade and insert that I'm using. Not cheap but worth the cost ;D. The holder is shop-made.

DSCF7004.jpg

DSCF7007.jpg

And to all. Thanks for kind words :bow:
PS more pics. to come. maybe to.... stay tuned
Regards CS

Nice Job, keep us posted. I love seeing how other tackle the some parts I am. If I ever get off making tools and finishing my cracker I want to get back to my Hoglet

Hi all.
Here are a couple of pic. from when I milled the camshaft- housing. think it is the most challenging part so far.(sorry for the bad quality on the pic.(cell-phone)).
Bilde0126.jpg

Bilde0121.jpg

Regards CS

CS,
Really looking good. th_wav
I like the Hoglet very much so am enjoying your thread.
Gail in NM

Hmmmm. Says "image or video has been moved or deleted"

Ron

Sorry.
th_wtf1 there have must in something wrong when I uploaded first time. But now it should be ok.
Have been in the shop all evening making parts for the cam -assembly.
Best regards CS

Hi all.
Sitting here with a running nose and headace.I have got the flue :':)shrug:
Not going to my shop today. But nothing is so bad it isn't god for something so I like to give you some pics. of my cyl.heads for the Hoglet. Made some changes from the plans regards the valveseats. The plans call for castiron-heads and it is easy to make the seats, but since I made them out of alu. I needed some kind of seats. so I made a pilot/seat combo. out of some brass. Made a valveseat-cutter out of drillrod.
I hope it works well, time will show.
here are the first cyl.head partly finished
DSCF4029-2.jpg

No.2 only missing fins.
DSCF4029-2.jpg

Here we are.
DSCF4038-1.jpg

Here is the cutter.
DSCF4052-1.jpg

And the cutter in action.
DSCF4050-1.jpg

Regards CS

Looks great!
Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Did anyone mention the dance that goes with this when you get it running? Start practicing. :big:

Looking good. I sure am trailing behind in my builds
Keep up the nice work

zeeprogrammer said:
Looks great!
Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Did anyone mention the dance that goes with this when you get it running? Start practicing. :big:
Anybody out there are welcome to join me at the trainingcamp :big: :big: woohoo1
my son is my coach, he is a master in that particular dance.
PS: there will be some time before I start dancing, but time will show.stay tuned.
Regards CS

Wow CS, moving right along eh?

Glad you decided to go for the sleeved cylinder as well ;) I also prefer the look of polished Al.

They're right, better polish up your best shoes!

Hello Kevin.
How are you. I have a question for you regarding the Hoglet. I am now ready to bore/drill the camshaftgear for the to magnets: Did you make it as described in the plans?
I just wonder since we are using a 4-lobe camshaft. Little bit confused on that one ??? ::) :big:
Ready to order the ignitionsystem and the carb.think it will take weak or so before the items arrives
CS

I did make it the same as the plans, the different angle of the 4 lobe cam will take care of the timing change.

My neodiums were a snug sliding fit and I added a drop of LT to make sure.

Have fun!

Kevin.

Back