My First Clock Project

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmuir

Reaction score
Last June I purchased this book off ebay.

clock1.jpg

Since last July I have been making the tools I need to make this clock and purchasing material.
I still have more material to get and more tools to make, but I've finally reached a point where I can start.

Here are some of the tools I've made so far for this project.
clock2.jpg

From top left to right the tools are.

Honing jig for the wheel cutters.

Chamfering tool for the steady pins, its still not finished yet.

Deburing tools for holes smaller than 1/8 inch

Simple riveting anvil.

Fly cutter holder and flycutter for the clock wheels. Still need to make the wheel blank holder.
Screw holder to allow me to shape the ends of the screws, still need to make a few more different sized collets for the holder.

Graver for hand shaping brass.

Clock frame holders to hold the frame off the workbench when fitting the pivots.

Finally a finger clamp, I made this for clock making but I use it all the time for other things too.

clock3.jpg

The material needed for the clock. I still am missing a few bits, namely the 1 inch by 1/8 inch BMS for the frame and the 1 5/8 inch BS 2874 brass for the crown wheel, but I now have enough to start.

This will be a slow project as I will need to take a number of detours making extra tools along the way and also purchase a few other items I can't make.
I figure as this is based on a clock design that is around 400 years old that if people could make it with no power tools or accurate measuring items I should be able to. :big:

Good luck with it, tmuir.
I've built a clock, (which actually runs, even!). I worked on it on and off for quite a few months, and it still needs a chapter ring and hands, but other than that, it's been running for over a year.

It's a great exercise in tool building, for sure, besides teaching you things like wheel cutting, depthing, lantern pinions, and a number of other useful skills that you can use in many machining aspects.

I'll be watching your thread. Clock builds are great!

Dean

So glad you making a start on a clock.I was passionate about them some time ago we have clocks everywhere.In 1995 I built an eight day long case clock to a design by Alan Timmins, really enjoyed it.it hasn't stopped from that day on and kreeps excellent time,the longer the pendulam the better the timekeeping,Built the case as well,that started me on violins,but thats another story.
I couldn't see a gear depthing tool in your collection,I made a very simple one that worked well,even used it on my traction engine.
If I can help in any way I will be glad to.
Don
Looking forward to following your build.

don-tucker said:
I couldn't see a gear depthing tool in your collection,I made a very simple one that worked well,even used it on my traction engine.
If I can help in any way I will be glad to.
Don
Looking forward to following your build.

You can't see the depthing tool as I haven't made it yet.
That is one of the tools I'm still to make.
This is going to be a big learning curve for me but I'm not in a rush to finish, but I am getting impatient to start it.
It was over 40C in my workshop today so my time was limited in there but I did manage to grind up a new HSS tool for me to use on the brass work.

Both my grandfather and great grandfather were watchmaker / clockmakers and I have their old reference books, with the oldest one dated 1897 and my Great grandfathers watch makers lathe from the 40s.

It's in the blood then,you had to make one,
Clock2.jpg
Clock.jpg
hear is my pride and joy,but I didn't make the chapter ring or the bits on the corners of the dial. 40 degrees, , I haven't done much as it has been too cold
Don

Darn it tmuir. I'm in the process of organizing and prioritizing my project list. I forgot about clocks...which has been a dream of mine since I was a kid. Now I have to work the list some more. ;D

I'm very much looking forward to your build.

Don, Insert suitable oooh and ahhhs here.
Thats one fine clock.
My end goal is something like that but I wanted to start with something a bit more forgiving for my first clock, although I do own a copy of John Wilding's eight day clock which is similar to yours.

I aiming for that to be my third clock as I think something like that is above my level at the moment, but I hope to get there eventually.

It's ok Zee your making a loco at the moment and that is on my 'to -do ' list too, not sure if that comes before or after the 3 traction engines I've got the castings to make though. :big:

My grandfather passed away about 9 years ago.
I do wish he was still around to see my workshop, its not as big or as fancy as his was, but I do think he would of been willing to do the 4500km trip to come and 'play' in it a few times if he was still around. It was him that got me all interested in this some 24 years ago when he gave me a toy steam engine that he must of bought when he was in his 20s.

This sounds like an awesome project. I would love plans for a clock. I have tried in the past but never got verry far. I ended up with a half decent 600:1 gear train I can use for fun experiements with my little motors. But I have always wanted to build a clock. I dont have a clock in my shop now and I promised myself I would ony put a clock in my shop, if I made it myself. Your project post will get me one step further to understanding horology.

Cant wait too see the process.

kel

If your looking for a clock project I recommend looking here.
http://www.ritetimepublishing.com/

Here is where you can buy copies of John Wildings books and he has many, from books on making the tools, to repairing clocks to lots of complete detailed books on building on of his many clocks.

It's a public holiday here.
The wife have taken the kids out.
Perfect day to get into the workshop, except for the fact its 45C (113F) inside there. :eek:
Guess I won't be doing much today.........................

Good project Tony; I'm also looking forward to seeing your progress!

45 Deg ? - Ouch! - I get out of the shop when it hits 38!

Kind regards, Arnold

The tools themselves are BEAUTIFUL workpieces...

You have a real nice project to work on...

arnoldb said:
45 Deg ? - Ouch! - I get out of the shop when it hits 38!

Kind regards, Arnold

Me too - else I start to make boo boos as I have already proven in the Maryak 10 thread. Mind you I am so skilled I can make boo boos irrespective of the temperature ::) it's just that the odds increase exponentially with the temperature.

Best Regards
Bob

Just ducked out to the shops during my lunch break and purchased 5 of the 7 files I need to dro the crossing out of the wheels (gears) that sent me back $85 and I have a feeling the other two will cost me about that much again and I still need to buy the oil sinks yet..................

Well you have to start somewhere so I have decided to start at chapter 7 and make the drive pulley. :big:
My reasoning is I just finished grinding up a HSS cutting tool for brass as I want to get away from my expensive carbide tools that don't give very good finishes and I wanted something simple to try it on.
I'm very happy with the results I got with this HSS tool.
pulley_drive_hub.jpg

Finally after 8 moths preparation I've started! ;D

tmuir,

Nice start, :bow: How big will your clock be ??? Your first part looks pretty small if that's a pencil supporting it.

Best Regards
Bob

Good start Tony

I agree with you; HSS bits seems to work very well for brass - no need to grind in top rake either!

Kind regards, Arnold

Maryak said:
tmuir,

Nice start, :bow: How big will your clock be ??? Your first part looks pretty small if that's a pencil supporting it.

Best Regards
Bob

It's only a small one.
If you go back and look at the photo of the clock on the first page the outside diameter of the dial is only 5 5/8 inches.
This is very much a beginners clock .

A great start - I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Some small progress.

Flanges cut out and material to make the mandrel.
clock4.jpg

Mandrel made and blanks on it ready for turning to size.
clock5.jpg

Turned to size and the front one has had a slight chamfer machined onto it.
I needed to finish with a file and W&D as I got a bit of chatter.
clock6.jpg

Hub and the 2 flanges, next step I had to bore the flanges out to 7/16 inch so they would fit the hub.
clock7.jpg

I don't have a boring tool small enough for my big lathe yet and I didn't want another detour making a boring tool holder so I moved to my watchmakers lathe to do the boring.
clock8.jpg

Flanges finished.
clock9.jpg

Next is to make the ratchet and as this is a beginners clock the ratchet teeth will be hand cut out and filed to the line

Back