my engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
lugnut I've written Machinist on my tax return for over 20 years.
The model hobby is a totally different accomplishment.
Your engines are the kind of inspiration we're looking for here!
Great Works!

I've been back in the shop since the heat has dropped to a fairly mellow 100 degrees (F) at 93% humidity. Nothing like a balmy August day to make one want to work outside...LOL.

I'm well into the project now and thought I'd share something of where this little adventure has taken me. I took these photos a couple of days ago

elbow-flywheel-1.jpg

elbow-flywheel.jpg

The little fellow is shot plumb full of holes, having high hopes of becoming a running 10 cylinder engine. I've just finished up the pistons and gotten them squared. Now I'm back to the 3d design software to work out the details for the rear support. This engine will be a bit more opened up than the Popular Science version, so I'm mounting it on a 4 x 6 aluminum plate. More to come, but for now this small tease will have to do.

Best
Steve

WOW!
OMG.gif

That IS amazing work,
Beautiful!!!

Beautiful work Steve.
Well up to your usual standards.
Is the port timing the same as the three hole version? or is it a shorter opening time due to the five pistons.

John

Thanks guys. The project is turning out to be a lot of fun and the things I'm learning are many. The little flywheel has been in my head for more than a year and I was quite pleased to see it come together just as I'd built it, a hundred times in my mind. I'll probably build more of them for any future projects I take on.

John...
I'm making the assumption that the 90° timing rule that applies to steam engines applies to these as well. I moved the cylinders out to a radius of 7/16 in (.4375) and the same for the valve troughs. This required the cylinders to be lengthened to 1 1/8 (1.125) inch. I've also added length to the pistons so that I could space the flywheel and cylinder bodies out a bit to be a bit more open to the viewer.

The little bugger had me worried yesterday. I made a test assembly with the pistons and the whole thing locked up as tight as Dick's hat band. I mean it was like one solid piece of metal with no movement. I honed and greased up the cylinders last night, after squaring the pistons and when reassembled, I could rotate the cyllinders by hand, while holding them in my hands. I took this as a good indication that it will more than likely run ok, once I get things on the base and aligned as needed. I've got my finger crossed.

Steve

Back