Mrs Maryak's Mansion

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,

Yes, we are pleased to date. Moving should be around late August to middle September.

Tin Falcon said:
Bob:
the framing is done vsb nailed to it a vapor barrier applied then metal straps nailed to the ply every foot or so ,the the strap is embedded in the mortar.
Tin

Tin that's it in a nutshell, I never thought to take a close up but will do it next week.

Best Regards
Bob

It's definitely different from the US. Perhaps it's the climate.

On my house the exterior first has plywood/OSB sheathing nailed to the studs and then covered with a plastic house wrap. We also require vertical plastic drain tubes embedded in the cement that open at the bottom of the exterior to vent water that might get between the brick and the sheath. And as well, there are brickties nailed to the sheathing.

My exterior walls are 2x6 rather than 2x4, which allows thicker insulation. The wiring is routed though holes drilled in the studs rather than led behind as in the photo. Of course that's mandated by the exterior sheathing.

We also require metal "hurricane" straps to connect the joists to the studs.

I see that you chose a wide board for the floor. That's an excellent idea as there are fewer pieces to lay. I have installed floating floors in three rooms doing the work myself. The first two we used narrow strips connected with clips, and this was quite labor intensive. For my shop's upstairs we used wide boards that went much faster. The installation is actually a simple DIY task if your back is up to it, esp. if you have a helper (e.g., wife). Main requirement is to get that first row absolutely straight and parallel to the starting wall.

Main requirement is to get that first row absolutely straight and parallel to the starting wall.

My experience has been that the first row has to be perpendicular to the adjacent wall since few rooms have absolutely square corners. It is easier to taper the first row than have to cut every succeeding board end at an angle.

With baseboards and quarter-round moldings the cut ends are covered. Unless the walls are really out of square the angle at the end will be small. Outside walls are the most likely to be straight.

In any case, assuming you cut the ends with a miter saw it's simple to set at any angle you need.

Guys,

Thanks for the tips on laying a floating floor. I had a chat to the building supervisor and he suggested that we only loose tack the skirting boards in the areas to be floored, that way they are easily removed and can be replaced over the top of the floor, doing away with the 1/4 round along the edges.

WE HAVE A ROOF, (well almost) and the gyprock is on its' way for the internal walls.

The brick ties for those who asked.

IMG_0409.jpg

The roof - 95% complete.

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

And thus ended another weekly pilgrimage to the temple in the South.

Best Regards
Bob

Getting close now Bob - nearly tome to lay in the lobster tails and Glenfiddich and invite your HMEM friends down ;)

That does sound like a lovely meal!

Nice looking Mansion Bob!

Dave

Tel,

Your welcome anytime......which will you bring the appetiser or the aperitif ???

Dave,

Yep sure does, am anxiously awaiting our house warming bash.

Bernd,

Glad you like the roof, we were initially a little disappointed at the amount of brown in it but then the sun broke through the clouds and out came the green which is the effect we were aiming for, (2 happy campers). The tiles are concrete, coloured and glazed on the outside.

Best Regards
Bob

Say Bob,

That big hole on the left of the front door...is that the making of the mansion shop?

Look'n good

Philly

Ahha what we call here (UK) a bungalow - a word originating in India from our colonial days with the Raj.

I understand the name derives from a time when some local builders were building regular houses but ran out of time, With a pushy customer waiting to move in the site foreman after some though said " OK we'll just bung a low roof on it".

Nice site for a new house. Building your own is great - we did so 14 years ago - Mind after you always want to do it again so you can incorporate some "improvements" you didn't think about at the time.

Philly,

No..... believe it or not that's actually for the car
wow.gif

My workshop/dog house/retreat is and will be, well away from home. This allows me to concentrate and keeps the honey do's to a minimum. That way neither of us is disappointed.

Rick,

Thanks for your bungalow anecdote and I'm sure your right, we will find something we would have done differently had we thought of it. This is now 2 houses we have built the FIRST and the LAST. ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Bob

Oh man...what was I thinking

No..... believe it or not that's actually for the car
wow.gif

My workshop/dog house/retreat is and will be, well away from home. This allows me to concentrate and keeps the honey do's to a minimum. That way neither of us is disappointed.

Good thinking :big:

Regards

Philly

Philly,

Thanks for your remarks :bow:

Had to do a quick, (130 km), dash and check on progress today as the builder had asked for a progress payment during our 50th Re-union in Queensland.
wow.gif

Haven't aged a bit. ??? ??? ???

1959.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

All of the internal walls are insulated and lined and they had just started on fitting the cornices.

Here's some shots of the lined inside.

Entry.

IMG_0495.jpg

Family room and Kitchen area.

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
Philly,

Thanks for your remarks :bow:

Had to do a quick, (130 km), dash and check on progress today as the builder had asked for a progress payment during our 50th Re-union in Queensland.
wow.gif

Haven't aged a bit. ??? ??? ???

1959.jpg

Those were the days, my friend,
We thought they'd never end!

privateTEL.jpg

tel said:
Those were the days, my friend,
We thought they'd never end!

privateTEL.jpg

Yep - in 1959, 2009 was so far in the future it didn't even register as a possibility.

Best Regards
Bob

Hi All,

Another week and we seem to be getting to the stage where picture wise not much is changing.

The cornices are complete and the hot water solar panel is in position on the roof.

We are not sure what will be next but I suspect we are getting close to lock up and most of the ongoing work will be internal. Anyway we will keep up our progress reports.

Galina surveying her domain.

IMG_0526.jpg

The solar panel on the northern face of the roof.

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak,

When you said "The solar panel on the northern face of the roof." I though why would you put it on the north, you want it on the south. scratch.gif

Then I remembered your on the other side of the equator. :-[

Looking very nice.

Bernd

Bernd said:
Maryak,

When you said "The solar panel on the northern face of the roof." I though why would you put it on the north, you want it on the south. scratch.gif

Then I remembered your on the other side of the equator. :-[

Looking very nice.

Bernd

Bernd,

Not to worry, on more than one occasion I have been geographically embarrassed trying to sort out a navigation problem, especially between the 2 tropic lines where the sun can be either north or south of your position.

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back