Mrs Maryak's Mansion

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I said this last year, but it is worth repeating. You have done a great job on your new house. Have you made any plans to move your shop?

I have a relative who decided to build a house that was off grid. He started with several acres (hectares) of land so that he could dig a pond for a heat sink for his heat pumps and drill a deep well for potable water. Then came a very expensive house, designed for the proper roof angles and window location and constructed to the highest possible standard.

Lots of solar panels on the roof, two wind generators and a big bank of very expensive batteries. With a wife and two daughters, he quickly found that he didn't have a hope of keeping up with hot water demand so he installed a gas fired water heater. Other than that, he is operating off grid very successfully.

He is quite young, so he may live long enough to recover his capital cost but long before that he will have to replace worn out components and pay big dollars to recycle the old ones.

Foozer said:
You have net metering? You buy retail and sell wholesale?
Robert

Yes Robert I buy at 25c/kWh and sell, (with government incentives), at 50c/kWh. We are now trying to train ourselves to wash and iron and vacuum etc. after dark thus maximising our selling kWh. Tight as a fishes backside.........and that's watertight. :p

jpaul said:
I live in Los Angeles, California, where tagging is quite popular. One solutions I have found effective is REPAINT. you have more paint than they have. Nothing worst than having your tag disappear faster than you can replenish your spray cans.

Jp,

Thanks for stopping by :bow:

We only had the one incident and several of us, especially those with teenage children, let it spread quietly that if we caught them they would not be walking away but would be able to admire their work close up for a considerable period of time. :-X

Stan,

I had great plans to move my shop to my daughters farm but She and Hubby have grown tired of the rural life and want to enjoy things like buses, (so they don't have to drive the kids everywhere), Kentucky Ducky/Pizza Hut, (so they don't have to cook a meal every night). The list goes on but you get the idea. ;) So there goes my nice spot in the country on the other side of the fence from the geegee's and free power. I have a couple of ideas but non have borne fruit yet so I'm stuck with 120km round trip once a week.

Thanks for your kind remarks again. :bow:

Bob : nice solar setup.
I am seeing more of it here in New jersey USA as well a couple counties north of me has small panels on many utility poles and there is a fair sized solar farm being set up on a farm I pass on the way to work . probably 40 + acres.
Tin

Latest posts

Back