Mrs Maryak's Mansion

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

The frame timber and roof trusses are on site as well as a porta potty for the workers.

Contemplation by the Ultimate Authority.

IMG_0326.jpg

Various timber sections around the perimeter.

IMG_0327.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

I don't see any anchor bolts sticking out of the slab. Do you not have any wind storms (hurricanes, tornadoes or just big wind)?

Stan,

The timber frame is anchored to the slab with loxons. Win rating for this area is N2<33m/sec.

Best Regards
Bob

Jack,

Thanks for your interest. :bow:

Loxons are concrete anchor bolts where the nut is in a sleeve and the nut expands the sleeve to grip the sides of the hole. Dynabolts are the reverse.

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Oz terminology can be a bit weird at times. :eek:

This was broadacre farm land for wheat and sheep and was cleared many years ago. Native trees can play merry hell with the foundations so the less of them there are the better for your peace of mind.

Best Regards
Bob

i can see the garage needs to much larger :big: might want to add extra space for that :big: ;D :bow:

Setting concrete anchors seems like a lot more work than sticking anchor bolts into the wet concrete when you do the pour.

Before you explained what a loxon is, I did a Google search and found no mention of concrete anchors. However it is a brand name for an industrial paint.

Stan,

Mine is not to reason why, I just pay the bills and check that I'm getting what I'm paying for but Yes it seems a funny way to do it now that you've pointed it out.

Best Regards
Bob

kvom said:
Anchors would make sense if the sill plate were steel.

Dynabolts are made to fasten at least 6" and Loxons are only limited by the length of bolt/threaded rod you can buy. They are standard practice over here and have been since Ramset nails fell out of fashion.

tel said:
Dynabolts are made to fasten at least 6" and Loxons are only limited by the length of bolt/threaded rod you can buy. They are standard practice over here and have been since Ramset nails fell out of fashion.

Thanks Tel, :bow:

This is the 1st house I/we have built so it's all a part of the learning curve for us.

Best Regards
Bob

Hi All,

Got the shock of my life - It's actually starting to look like a house. I thought they may have the walls up but the roof trusses was a real bonus.

Front view.

IMG_0338.jpg

Rear view.

IMG_0340.jpg

Side view.

IMG_0343.jpg

Now all we have to do is start paying. ::) :eek: ::) :eek:

Best Regards
Bob

Edit: They used dyna bolts as anchors in strategic spots and a lot of concrete nails.

Bob, your'e going to need a lot of curtains to stop the draught! Didn't you consider windows? :big: :big:

Metal Mickey said:
Bob, your'e going to need a lot of curtains to stop the draught! Didn't you consider windows? :big: :big:

Galina has already sourced all the light fittings and she has asked a friend in Novosibirsk to buy continuous curtain. There is a much better selection of this in Russia than Oz. Apparently most of it is imported from Turkey.

Best Regards
Bob

Looks like the frame work of a shop made in heaven to me Bob!

Have you asked the wife how she might feel about a kitchen in
a shipping container? It couldn't hurt to ask... Much...
No would ever notice the scars unless you pointed them out. :D

Oh, I better close this page NOW.
MY wife is coming down the stairs!
:hDe: ;)

Rick

rake60 said:
Looks like the frame work of a shop made in heaven to me Bob!

Me too. ;D ;D

It's probably more than my life is worth. ???

No would ever notice the scars unless you pointed them out. :D

Especially after the cremation.

Oh, I better close this page NOW.
MY wife is coming down the stairs!
:hDe: ;)

Rick

Must be military service which teaches "Discretion is the better part of Valour"

Best Regards
Bob

It's probably more than my life is worth. "

In my case it would be more like I would be laying in a pool of my own blood with my wife standing over me screaming "how do you reload this thing!!?"........or words and music to that effect..... ;D

You guys are kind of joking about integrating 20' shipping containers into a house. It has been done at least on a concept level. Have any of you gents been to the Shelburne Museum in Vermont.
The Kalkin House Is a two story 20' x 80' metal framed and skinned building that uses 20ft shipping containers for 4 of the rooms in the house I remember a bathroom and a couple of guest /kids bedrooms and I think an office/study. There are also two huge glass overhead truck doors one on each side . You want ventilation??!! And you joke about curtains this has two story high curtains for the patio area. Anyway neat upscale, open floor plan design with a definite modern industrial flair.
Tin

Hi All,

Weekend progress and inspection report. ::)

The windows and doors are in position, the gutters and facias are almost complete and the bricks are laid out ready to start bricklaying.

Tape measure at the ready - "Now will I put the TV here or there or perhaps............ ??? ???" Oh I can feel my back aching again already. ::)

Rear View

IMG_0353.jpg

Front View

IMG_0354.jpg

Side View

IMG_0352.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back