Mounting a spin indexer on a small mill.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CrewCab said:
So why not trim it to width and form a couple of slots with an angle grinder, tidy it up with a file and there you go

Why not indeed? For now it's just time for this or time for that (like weeding - sigh).

This is the nth time someone has mentioned an angle grinder. I don't have one...never used one...should get one. Not sure I need it for this though. Why not mount the spindex upside down and mill the slots from the side?

Vernon said:
It was a typo!

Repeatedly saying something doesn't make it true. Neither does saying it louder. :big:

zeeprogrammer said:
Why not indeed? For now it's just time for this or time for that (like weeding - sigh).

How is the weeding going by the way, I hate weeding, so much so that . . . yup they look nice just where they are. Now pressure washing, there is a relaxing chore. I can spend hours blasting things clean just sweeping that spray back and forth, watching the high pressure jet of water blow the crap out of everything in its path.

Got a little problem piece? Ya, set it on the deck and pressure wash it into next week :) Man - Machine - Power - Dominance

Works good on showing weeds, Who's your Daddy?

So you got a couple items giving ya fits and starts. Put em aside for a while, itll come to you .

Hows those Mystery Pieces doing?

Robert

Foozer said:
How is the weeding going by the way, I hate weeding, so much so that . . .

I hate weeding too. I hate reminders too.

Foozer said:
Hows those Mystery Pieces doing?

mysteriously

I saw a piece of raw stock appear the other day...waiting to see if it's related.

zeeprogrammer said:
I hate weeding too. I hate reminders too.

mysteriously

I saw a piece of raw stock appear the other day...waiting to see if it's related.

Was it smiling at ya? might want to introduce it to old Mr. Sledge Hammer before it gets any ideas

Robert

Well this is scaring the bejeebers (sp?) out of me.
I think I'll stop and get someone else to do it.

Mounted the Spindex...started milling down the edge.

3/4" of an inch. That just seems too much.

Have no idea how deep to cut. Going pretty light. It'll take forever.
Making an awful lot of racket.
Debris everywhere.

Should probably hack off the bigger chunk with something else and then trim with mill. Still...

This is just too big a step for a guy who just cut itty bitty bits of metal a few months ago.

Nope. Not for me.

This is the nth time someone has mentioned an angle grinder. I don't have one...never used one...should get one. Not sure I need it for this though.

Think of an angle grinder as the metalworking equivalent of a chain saw.

This is one of the few motorized Harbor Freight tools worth buying. They sound something awful but they just keep on keeping on.

Moreover, they're dead cheap. This model...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91222

is $18. Get one of their 20% coupons and you can knock that down to $14.40. They're so cheap I bought two. That way I can have one set up with a grinding wheel and the other with a cutoff wheel (in case I need to shorten a bed frame or some equally recalcitrant piece of steel).

nth + 1

Thanks Marv. I'll need to go learn a bit about them...types of wheels and all that. Plus, I'll probably have to set up some kind of work area in the garage. (Sorry to say...this is one man without a spot in the garage. Oh right...not a man yet...no lawn tractor, no outdoor grill, and no bowling ball. Someday though. I really want that bowling ball.)

In the meantime...wife has expressed concern about the amount of money I'm spending on this hobby.

Maybe I can strike a deal...more weeding maybe? Durn it.

Before I go breaking down the setup and cleaning up...I would like a better idea of feed rate and depth of cut for milling the cast iron base.

I still think milling 3/4" off is too much...but since I'm set up...I can experiment a little. I just don't want to experiment without some advice. It scares me and I don't want to get hurt or damage equipment.

Thanks.

(Someday this thread will end....someday...and I can get back to building Isabella.)

[EDIT: Here's a pic of the setup. The end mill is already removed.]

IMG_0470.jpg

Someday though. I really want that bowling ball.

The only good thing I can say about bowling is that it's marginally more efficient than curling and you don't need that stupid little broom.

Get the bowling ball, though. Mill a flat on it and mount a vise. Have your wife sew you a leather torus, fill it with sand and plop the ball on it. Voila, one of the finest engraving vises one could want.

In the meantime...wife has expressed concern about the amount of money I'm spending on this hobby.

Now's the time to make some ornate, really blinged brass candle holders. Maybe some matching napkin rings to accompany them. (I've always wanted to make some Moebius band napkin holders but I never could figure out how to machine them. Guess I need to make them from sheet and solder them.)

With your appreciation of fine wines, maybe some decorative stainless stoppers for opened bottles you haven't finished. (Wait, wait - there's a flaw somewhere in there but I can't spot it.) Buy some square silver wire and twist up a few cocktail forks.

mklotz said:
Have your wife sew you a leather torus, fill it with sand and plop the ball on it. ...
Maybe some matching napkin rings to accompany them. (I've always wanted to make some Moebius band napkin holders but I never could figure out how to machine them. Guess I need to make them from sheet and solder them.)
With your appreciation of fine wines, maybe some decorative stainless stoppers for opened bottles you haven't finished. (Wait, wait - there's a flaw somewhere in there but I can't spot it.) Buy some square silver wire and twist up a few cocktail forks.

Moebius napkin rings, a torus, bottle stoppers, logic benders and surface twists... just go all the way, Zeep, and machine a Klein bottle! Your wife might thank you for the infinite storage space, and the rest of us are guaranteed an interesting build thread... ;D

I used to think I was a fortunate man. For 34 years...

No flowers necessary...
no chocolates...
no jewelry...
no cards or other nice-ities..

Birthday? Happy Birthday Dear. Thank You.
Christmas? What would like dear? Oh? Well then buy it for yourself.

Bonus...she doesn't like to go shopping.

I'm the same way.
It's not that we're not mushy...oh I can be very mushy...that's how I landed her.
But material things just never figured in. Maybe because we were so poor back when. I remember the day we realized we could afford to put nuts in the brownies. (She still keeps a can of condensed milk handy.)

So why unfortunate?
I can't bribe her.

So thanks for the suggestions...but they'd only work on a mistress...and I won't go there.

Sorry to go on...but it reminds of a conversation I had with a (woman) associate at work some years ago...she said..."my wife had trained me well".

No. It was my Mom. It was all her fault.

Some left-handed nostril inhalers would be a great gift idea. Look at it this way, when she asks what you were thinking, you can reply "but honey, these are special. no one else in the whole wide world has a set of these." At which point, standing close to an open doorway to the outside would be in order as well. _ :big:

BC1
Jim

zeeprogrammer said:
Should probably hack off the bigger chunk with something else and then trim with mill.

Yup ................. angle grinder ;)

CC

bearcar1 said:
Some left-handed nostril inhalers would be a great gift idea. Look at it this way, when she asks what you were thinking, you can reply "but honey, these are special. no one else in the whole wide world has a set of these." At which point, standing close to an open doorway to the outside would be in order as well. _

Rof} Rof}

With one leg already out the door...

Rof} Rof}

Yeah...well...I married a smart one...another of my few requirements for a suitable mate. What was I thinking?

Can't win. She's faster than me. Before I get the 'wha?' out...she's already got me thinking..."sure...absolutely...I agree."

But I'm not complaining. Nope. Pretty happy.
Man she's good at making me think that.

Angle grinder. Okay. I believe it was you CC that suggested angle grinder and slots. That's why I said earlier I have a bit to learn. How you use an angle grinder to cut slots...no idea.

Man this fun. Much better than Thursday.

Vernon...I'm glad you're maintaining your reputation for being unhelpful.
Bob...I'm surprised at you.

Rof}

Just kidding. ;D

Really. ;D

I mean it. Really. ;D

Now I have to negotiate for the angle grinder. If you've been reading...you know how tough that's going to be.

zeeprogrammer said:
Vernon...I'm glad you're maintaining your reputation for being unhelpful.

Yeah, yeah. That WAS helpful; a concern for your safety. I don't want you to be forced to learn base-nine math. ;D

Make that lever yet?

Vernon said:
Yeah, yeah. That WAS helpful; a concern for your safety. I don't want you to be forced to learn base-nine math. ;D

Make that lever yet?

Ow.

I work in base 16. Remember? I got a 0xF4240 of these.

I work in base 2 as well but we won't mention that. Too many digits...too many people get weirded out. (It's 0b11110100001001000000 by the way. Any bets how many people are going to check that out?. I'll say none. No one wants to go through the trouble of counting the 1's and 0's. Well...with one exception.)

Octal? You want octal? Well that's just a fringe element...but I've got a 03641100 of those too.

Okay okay I know what you mean and I (grundgingly) appreciate it.
Maybe what I said was a low-blow. (But you admitted it yourself.)
It's what happens when you owe beer and don't pay up.
But now I know what you're capable of. Lever huh? Okay. Okay. I see.
:big:

What a mess of a thread. :big:

zeeprogrammer said:
Ow.... base 16...0xF4240 ... base 2 ... 0b11110100001001000000 ... No one wants to go through the trouble of counting...with one exception...Octal...03641100...low-blow...It's what happens when you owe beer and don't pay up...What a mess of a thread.

What a lot of hassle over a beer. *beer*

Latest posts

Back