Model Engineer's Tooling

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinkerer58

Reaction score
As you all know I'm an Aussie, I'm looking at subsidizing my income when I decide to semi retire and looking at starting and building a small business aimed at the model engineering market. I would like suggestions of the type of tooling and accessories people would like to purchase. Obviously as a business person I need to look at different ranges of product for consistency of sales as well as maybe try to include some products that are not commonly available to try and build a name to draw in custom. I would also need products in the consumables category to attract repeat business. Most of all being in sales and engineering now my main aim to success needs to be Customer Service which these days is sadly lacking in most industries.
All your suggestions would be greatly appreciated and welcomed, who better to ask than prospective customers what they would like to see.

I expect that your target market will be OZ and NZ because you hang off the bottom of the world and shipping uphill to the rest of the world will be a deal killer. :D
I know model engineers in both OZ and NZ that when I talk to them on Skype, they are always saying to get this or that costs 3X what I can get it for in the US.

If you can figure a way to beat the prices that you now see, then you will have model engineers knocking at your door.

Dave

Edit

I see that you can build a poll when you start a thread. You may want to poll the group for what they are looking for.

Last edited:
IMHO one of the most successful suppliers of tools and equipment for hobbyists in the US is Little Machine Shop. It was started for the very reasons you're suggesting a need for in OZ. Chris Wood, I believe, is the founder and a hobby machinist who found good tools and resources lacking in the US years ago. He started his company to address that and his company is first rate among most hobby machinists. It was a valuable resource for me when I started about 7 years ago. Check out his website at:

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/

Additionally, you might consider stocking raw materials in cast iron, steel and ally if they are hard to come by for the home machinist.

Cheers,
Phil

What you trying to say Dave that we're the ass end of the world LOL, your not very nice*club*

Having many sources and contacts in China I was looking to get some decent quality products from there as I can at the moment slot things into containers for free and therefore hopefully be competive, my margins won't have to be large like all other business here in OZ. Most businesses here in OZ have very high mark ups and try to tell us that it is shipping costs etc. high price of realestate and Gov charges. I will be doing it from home so no overheads and no employees. I will also be looking at sourcing elsewhere around the world. I just want to be affordable but also looking at doing special items if required as indent. I do have a large number of engineering companies as bearing customers and will be looking at buying off cut materials for us guys.

I don't know anything about the business environment in Australia but I would research closely what the trade situation is. The high prices may be the result of tariffs and taxes you won't be able to get around as a business. If so importation may be an issue.

With your background I wouldn't be surprised if you could do some products in country competitively.

Think seriously about electronics, CNC systems and the like. One good way to get a business going in your country might be importing VFDs. At least here a lot of repurposed industrial hardware makes it into model shops. VFDs are the smart way to get those machines operational.

Having many sources and contacts in China I was looking to get some decent quality products from there as I can at the moment slot things into containers for free and therefore hopefully be competive, my margins won't have to be large like all other business here in OZ.
You need margins large enough to sustain the business through dry spells, pay your taxes and the like.
Most businesses here in OZ have very high mark ups and try to tell us that it is shipping costs etc. high price of realestate and Gov charges. I will be doing it from home so no overheads and no employees.
If you are at all successful that won't last. You really need to understand what the impact will be once commercial space is needed.
I will also be looking at sourcing elsewhere around the world. I just want to be affordable but also looking at doing special items if required as indent. I do have a large number of engineering companies as bearing customers and will be looking at buying off cut materials for us guys.
Just selling materials in small quantities is a business in and of itself. We have a few companies that specialize in just selling machinable stock in relatively short lengths. This is another way to get a business rolling, plus you can stay focused. You still need to GE able to source all the different materials but it sounds like you have that under control. I see the same problem here though as above, you will quickly grow the business to the point that doing it out of the hone is problematic.

Thanks fellows for your feedback:-

Re importation I am aware of all the taxes and tariffs as I currently do all our importation already consisting of large volumes eg. 300 ton of steel at a time.

Re needing commercial premises as my downstairs area alone between 2 rooms I have about 110sq meters, then have 2 spare sheds when cleaned covering another 50 sq meters and if push really comes to shove I have another 90sq meters of shed space at my other property.

I have had my own business before with 90 employees in manufacturing electronics, but it all started going to Asia in the early 90's, so I got out of electronics and I'm now totally out of touch and it's not an area I ever want to go back into. The only reason I got into it was cause my oldman pushed me in that direction and I just hated it, but at the time made the best of it and seized every opportunity to prove the old bastard wrong as he always said I was a no hoper and would never make anything of myself.
I proved him wrong, bought my first home at 21 and had it paid off by 23 and he was still paying his. Haven't seen him since I was about 30 and the last time was when he died all alone with no one around him so I had to organise the funeral. I now have instilled in me that if someone tells me I can't do something I will go out of my way to prove them wrong, don't always succeed mind you but at least I gave it a shot and I learnt something. He who has never failed has never done anything is my moto.

Last edited:
Tinkerer

I was thinking you are as far south as one can get with out freezing to death year round. :eek::eek:

It sounds like you are getting a handle on what you are going to provide to the model engineers in OZ and NZ

I know model engineers in OZ and NZ that I am sure would buy from you with the right price point.

Dave

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dave, still trying to work a range of products any help or suggestions from forum members will be helpful. One thing I really don't want to get involved in is anything electronic as I rather leave that to todays experts as it can throw up many technical and warranty problems where I'd be spending more time sorting through problems and guiding people with tech advise and support rather than selling and moving product. I really don't need that stress anymore as I'm in this for the pleasure. If I want stress I'll just continue working here till I drop LOL.

Hi Dave, I do have Skype I'll see if I can get on tonight after work and see if we can catch up, looking forward to chatting.

With the 17 hr time difference whan you get home from work I'll be in bed. When I get up in the morning you'll be in bed. catch 22 all around.

Dave

I'm sure we'll work something out eventually and catch up when we're both on at the same time, I'll just keep trying LOL but I promise I won't wake you up we all need our beauty sleep in that department though no amount of sleep will ever help me cause my head is like a dropped meat pieRof}

Having done some searching on the web there are quite a number of casting kits available and studying some of them I think it is not always economical to purchase a complete kit as quite a number can be completed using stock materials. Also some of the prices of the kits are beyond some peoples budgets and specially for the beginners who don't want to run the risk of destroying a $500.00 kit due to in-experience.
Which brings me to a thought of making and supplying some generic castings that could be used to build any number of engines with maybe some slight mods to adapt them. My first thoughts are cylinders with steam chests to suit in a number of standard common sizes, and flywheels. Anyone have any suggestions and or drawings that could get me started and see if this would be economical. I'm sure we can come to some arrangement regarding the supply of drawings for commercial interests. Your thoughts are welcomed.

Latest posts

Back