Mini Split Air Conditioner

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All

I am getting ready to install a mini split air conditioner and need to know about sizing. None of the charts I have looked at talk about a room with machine tools. My shop is 15x24 with 10-foot ceilings. I will have 100-amp 220 single-phase power.

I am looking for recommendations.

Thanks

Tim Meyer

My shop is 16 x 30, I have a 24K BTU heat pump, a fijitsu brand. When it was 103 a couple weeks ago, it was still 76° in here. In the winter lowest temp has been 9°F and 72° in here. 10' ceiling, 19 inches of insulation in the ceiling, 6 inch walls, big windows double pane low E glass.

I believe the cooling capacity matches the heating capaicity.
it a model 24rlxq

Hi Tim,

I live in Austin, Tx and summers are brutal here. I have a 24,000 BTU Goodman mini split for my 23' x 25' garage shop, which is not insulated. We've had days here where the temperature was over 105 and the air condition would hold the temp in the garage at 78 all day long with no problem. It will also cool it down from ambient temperature pretty quick, less than half an hour.

Mine is not a heat pump, but if I had it to do over again, I would definitely get a heat pump.

Chuck

I have a 12" x 28" building with no insulation and I can cool it down to 78-79 degrees (F) on a typical day here (abt 90F) with a 5,000 BTU window unit. We have had some temps. near 100F this summer. I will probably upgrade the unit before next summer to about 10,000 BTU's.

The building sits under a canopy of trees and that helps a lot. It is also an advantage in the winter months when the leaves are down and the sun shines on the dark metal roof.

This calculator: http://www.easycalculation.com/weather/ac-tonnage.php

yields 1 ton of AC or 12,000 btus.

Given that you are in Fl I'd go a size bigger, although it might depend on how well insulated the shop is and how many windows. My shop is over twice yours by volume and my 2-ton mini-split has no problem keeping it cool. My walls are are built with 10" studs and are insulated. Usually I will turn on the AC about 30 minutes before I go in, and I turn it off when I leave for the day. My machinery is all in one end, and the unit is high on the wall on that end, so the work end gets cool faster than the far end.

Latest posts

Back