mini lathe tooling and fixtures

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twinsquirrel

Reaction score
Hi again, so many questions ;)

As a total newbie I'm looking at making my own tools and fixtures for my mini lathe so I can learn the basics and have something useful to boot and would love to hear your thoughts on what I should attempt to make and what I really need to spend money on.

With a limited selection of tools (I don't have a mill.......yet) I would like to expand my little workshop's capabilities without spending too much and learning a whole lot along the way.

Many thanks in advance

David

Of course, with no idea of what sort of work you intend to do, it's very difficult to answer your question in a meaningful fashion. My suggestion is to start making something - doesn't matter much what - and the things you'll need will soon make themselves apparent. As they do, ask here about the buy/make decision and we'll try to help you along.

That said, in no particular order, these are homemade tools that I use frequently on the lathe...

Tailstock die holder

Tool height setting gage

Chuck spider(s)

DI holder to fit toolpost (for centering work in 4jaw)

Pump center (also for centering in 4jaw)

DI holder to measure carriage motion

Carriage stop

Chuck wrench speeder

Tool rest for hand turning with gravers

Tailstock centering buttons

For other ideas on making useful tools, review some of my earlier posts in the "Tools" subforum. To do that, click on my screen name (mklotz) to bring up my profile then click on "Show the last posts of this person" under "Additional information". Alternatively, you can use the "Search" function and search for posts by me in the Tools subforum.

Must admit turning just a few basic bit's n' bobs has helped me a lot, things are coming back slowly ............. but halfway through' my new compound clamp I've realised the nice shiny aluminium ring I've turned looks very nice ............... but doesn't have enough width to accommodate the mounting bolts :wall: :wall:

Ah well ................ all part of the learning curve :D ............. drawing board beckons ::)

have fun, I would think, like me, anything you make will be of benefit at this stage, wether it works or not.

CC

Wow, that's a lot to get started on MKlotz looking at some of your posts now and feeling a little overwhelmed, I like a challenge though.

CrewCab, I love that handle. Do you have one, a crewCab that is, split or bay? I'd love one.

Don't get overwhelmed - a very easy thing to do when first starting out.

Remember, my list was *my* list and doesn't necessarily indicate things that *you* will need.
As I said, your requirements depend on what sort of work you intend to do.

Also, none of these things are absolute essentials - must haves before work can begin. Make them as time permits and your requirements and patience dictate.

Twinsquirrel said:
CrewCab, I love that handle. Do you have one, a crewCab that is, split or bay? I'd love one.

David, this is the Black Money Pit ::)

DSCF3179.jpg

CC

Ah, thought you had a VW type 2 "crew cab" but that is easily as cool...... V nice

Looks more like the "cab" to haul his "crew" ;)

Twin squirrel :
Back to the original question.
Here are a few suggestions
get a handfull IIRC they come in boxes of a dozen of 1/4 inch lathe bit blanks and learn to grind them in basic forms.
a Knurking tool can be very handy.
IMHO the most used accessory for any lathe is a QC tool holder.
There are many chooses here as far as ones to buy or many designs to choose from to make your own. I have an A2ZCNC these are made in USA it works well ,but for the same money you can get an import AXA/100 Aloris clone that is made of steel instead on aluminum.
I think the best way is to select a project that is not too challenging then make the tooling needed for that project. Make what you need as you go a long . if you make what you may need someday you risk just end up making tools many of which will never get used.

When I first saw this thread I was a little concerned that it might go wild.

There are hundreds of tools and fixtures that can be made or bought for a
mini lathe.

For me, they were acquired as they were needed.
As the years get longer and the memory gets shorter, more time is spent
FINDING them than using them. :-\

Rick

Latest posts

Back