Maryak 10

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went into the shop this morning and thought what's next ???

I know buy a prop.....Looked in the wallet and that was a no no so......

Assemble the beast. :eek:

The Assembly

Some brown paper for the gaskets.

IMG_0513.jpg

The interface gasket between the cylinder and the crankcase.

IMG_0514.jpg

The end plate gasket.

IMG_0515.jpg

The Gizmatron gasket.

IMG_0516.jpg

Used some bits from the 3CC to get it all together till I fill the wallet for a bigger prop.

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

Whats left ??? ???

Make a stand, get a bigger prop and some fuel tube. Make a starter for my drill from a door stop and the we really will see if it works.

Best Regards
Bob

My eyes say that's a great looking engine....Nice Job!

My fingers find the image a bit menacing and have asked to not be volunteered to start it! They think a drill starter is a great idea! ::)

Can't wait to see here come to life. I always get excited when that time comes.....

PICTURES AND VIDEO PLEASE!

Dave

Very impressive project!!! I'm waiting for his "music"..!!!!
Paolo

Bob

Looks great. I can't wait to see the video of it running. I have been following this thread every day. I won't know what to do without my daily dose of Maryak 10. This build, has given this newbie a great amount of information and techniques and I am ever grateful.

thanks,
one of the other Bobs

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Bob I didn't follow the thread continuosly, for many reasons, but now I'm astonished

Superb!

This work reinforces my intention to try the construction of an IC engine, after a couple of steam engines: too ambitiuos?

anyway, great work and very well documented!

regards
ariz

Maryak said:
Went into the shop this morning and thought what's next ???

I know buy a prop.....Looked in the wallet and that was a no no so......

What's with "buy" a prop? Let's make one instead! A hunk of lumber, some bandsaw work, and an hour with a rasp and sandpaper and it's done.

http://www.marcee.org/Articles/HelicalPitchPropellers.html

For this use the lumber can be any old 2x4 with no knots. You don't even have to carve the airfoil shape if all you're looking for is a "test club".

Charlie

Not so fast here with "any old wood will do".

I fly RC and you want a well balanced prop to reduce vibration. These engines turn in the thousands of rpm not hundreds and when you have a "club" turning that speed it is a lethal weapon if it comes apart. Even boughten ones need to be well balanced before use. An unbalanced prop can destroy an engine too.
Model wood RC props are made with a specific wood. I cant remember what it is as I use strictly glass filled nylon props as they dont normally fly apart unless damaged some how.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ron

Bob,

I like the shop :bow: ...well lived in... :bow: not much unlike mine. You can hide new toys in there easy. I wish I could get in mine buy the honey do are happening now that it's getting warmer here in B.C.

A 2X4 with no knots would make a great test prop.

Oh by the way the engine looks great too.

The thread is very informative...keep up the great work. The thread is very informative...keep up the great work. The thread is very informative...keep up the great work. The thread is very informative...keep up the great work.

Warm regards

Philly

BEAST is right!

It looks awesome, well done.

Also looking forward to the sights and sounds.

Bob,
Listen to Ron!!! I too am a model airplane r/c guy. I use to do what Philly said but it was for rubber powered airplanes and I carved them out of balsa. By the looks of that engine size and I'm guessing, I'm thinking a 14~15 x 10 wood prop would do you just fine, maybe even a 16 x 8. Most props are made of beech or maple not a pine 2x4. Spend the $15 bucks and live long stickpoke
Tony

PS the wood is also a tight grain 1/4 sawn wood.

Oh, by the way NICE Engine!!

Dave, Paolo, Bob, Ariz, Charlie, Philly, Kevin and Tony,

Logged on this morning, (here in South Oz), to find all your kind words and suggestions
smiley-signs153.gif
smiley-signs101.gif
smiley-signs153.gif
smiley-signs101.gif
smiley-signs153.gif
smiley-signs101.gif
smiley-signs153.gif
ALL OF YOU.

In the interests of safety I will buy a prop. My woodworking skills are exceeded by my good looks so you now know a gnat has more chance of a good prop in wood.
wow.gif

On with a stand.

Best Regards
Bob

Say Bob,

You can go this way...make a duplicator. The one I made only took me 1 1/2 years to build. I use it for other things other than props.

http://www.wood-carver.com/gemini.html

There are simpler designs out there and are quite simple to build. I had some plans...if I could only find them. :wall:

Regards

Philly

ozzie46 said:
Not so fast here with "any old wood will do".

Ron

Store bought R/C props are usually beech or maple.

I've made a dozen or so using pine, bass, and maple. Maple is too darn hard for hand tools. The wood should be straight grained with no knots...that's really all that's important. If money is no object please do buy one instead of making one.

Charlie

Steve, Philly and Charlie,

Thanks Guys, :bow: :bow: :bow:

radfordc said:
If money is no object please do buy one instead of making one.

I wish -
smiley-shocked003.gif

However it's probably cheaper than a trip to hospital or down the river Styx, besides I'm having a
smiley-signs140.gif
just thinking about making one.

Ok today saw me get part way through making a test bed to clamp the beast down whilst I try and get it to run.

Hacking off some rectangular tube for the test bed.

IMG_0520.jpg

Set up for milling the test bed.

IMG_0521.jpg

The end squared off.

IMG_0522.jpg

The slot for the engine.

IMG_0523.jpg

Trial fit of engine and slot.

IMG_0524.jpg

The holes will have to wait until Monday.

Avagoodweekend.
Bob

Looking very good.
It'll never fly though Bob that fuselage is much too heavy ;D

Peter.

Maryak said:
However it's probably cheaper than a trip to hospital or down the river Styx, besides I'm having a just thinking about making one.

Bob

When I was flying giant scale R/C with 2 cu in gas motors props were in the $10 range. I'm sure they are much higher now. I didn't mine spending two hours to save $10...especially since it was satisfying to make something instead of buy it. And, I still have all my fingers, too.

How can someone who designs and makes a complete engine be concerned about carving a hunk of wood? ??? It's not rocket science. ;)

Charlie

radfordc said:
I still have all my fingers, too.

How can someone who designs and makes a complete engine be concerned about carving a hunk of wood? ??? It's not rocket science. ;)

Charlie

I build complete running engines.

I could not carve a propeller without a lot of practice.

Carving a point on a hot dog stick for cooking on a campfire is difficult enough!

I assume you can fly the plane in your avatar.

But do you make you own nuts and bolts?

You are obviously a very talented person.

We all have are own way of doing things. even if they don't make sense to the next guy!

Charlie, do you live near Cleveland, Ohio? I'd like to try flying your plane! But only if you came along for the "ride." :big:

-MB

Ooops! I may have just made an embarrassing boo-boo.

I have very bad eyesight and my vintage monitor is getting worse. I know ...excuses, excuses. I just stepped over and used "Honey's" computer with a nice new larger LCD monitor. I have to be careful of leaving behind metal chips as evidence on her keyboard. After looking over my last post on this thread I was struck by a reality!

Charlie, that's not really you in a red T-shirt leaning on the wing of a small private plane, is it?
:big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big:

I retreat to my shop laughing hysterically at myself for yet another blunder!

-MB

I live in Kansas City...not so close to Cleveland, unfortunately. Yes, I fly the Sonex as often as possible. I make parts for it, too, but not nuts and bolts. As far as carving a prop, I didn't know I could do it either, until I tried it and it turned out to be just like any other skill you learn.

Maybe this picture is easier to see on your monitor.

Charlie

Sonex 168SX 2.JPG

Latest posts

Back