Lister Diesel engine build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nowramfg

Reaction score
I was "taken" by an article in M.E. written by a fellow Australian, on his build of a scale Lister 6/1 diesel, c/w diesel pump and injector. I started out by trying to use the drawings in ME, but they were lacking in some details, and were contradictory in some dimensions. I finally got enough details together to draw up a crankcase and cut all the parts out on a waterjet. I must add that I work as a programmer/ operator for a waterjet company here in Vancouver BC Canada.
I have been cetailing the build on another site, of which I notice some members here are also members there.
I have uploaded most of the pics from my build so far.If some of you would like a blow by blow description from day 1, I can try and do that.

I was "taken" by an article in M.E. written by a fellow Australian, on his build of a scale Lister 6/1 diesel, c/w diesel pump and injector. I started out by trying to use the drawings in ME, but they were lacking in some details, and were contradictory in some dimensions. I finally got enough details together to draw up a crankcase and cut all the parts out on a waterjet. I must add that I work as a programmer/ operator for a waterjet company here in Vancouver BC Canada.
I have been cetailing the build on another site, of which I notice some members here are also members there.
I have uploaded most of the pics from my build so far.If some of you would like a blow by blow description from day 1, I can try and do that.
Hi Patrick, I'd be interested to see your Lister progress for sure. You could post a link to the other site in the mean time (or pm me)... I'd like to see it.
Another Aussie with 10 grandkids from 3 daughters, cool lol.

Regards, RossG
radial1951

Ross, good to hear you are interested. All the pics from the "other" site are in my album here.
I have 11 grandkids now, another granddaughter a few months ago. That makes 2 girls and 9 boys.
45th wedding anniversary last Saturday. I spent some time down your way in singleton about 44 years ago...doing some nasho.

Hi Patrick. I too would love to see your Lister build. Great work horses.

running-in-785.jpg

This is the Lister mounted in the Hercus being "run-in"

This is a pic taken tonight, Tuesday Aug 6.Pardon the poor iPhone pic quality.

lister with pipes.jpg

Last edited:
Assembled and fitted a flywheel to the Lister. makes it easier to rotate.

Hi Patrick
Congratulations on No.11, that's a team! Family days are great when all the cousins get together.

The water jet came in handy again I see. My son-in-law also programmes a water jet cutter not far from here... Did you turn the flywheel on the Hercus?

In what issue of Model Engineer mag was the engine detailed? Am I right in assuming the engine is about 12" high, flywheel 8"dia ?

Regards, RossG.
radial1951

The series started in issue 4448 January 2013 and we are upto part 11, probably another 5 parts to go.

Flywhels are about 6"

There is a guy here who is doing some castings if you don't want to fabricate and have deep pockets

http://www.2lw.co.uk/

Hi Patrick, Your Lister is looking good.
What scale is it?
Is the injector system fuctional as in high pressure and able to atomize fuel for diesel combustion.
I collect real size smaller liesels such as the Lister CS and have always thought it would be nice as a model.

GUS

I think it is 1/4 scale more or less. It does have the injector pump and injector, which I am about 70% of the way through. The hope is that it will run on a mixture of kerosine and ether. I hope to test the pump and injector this week/weekend.

FP body .jpg

The build started with my interest in this particular engine because of my knowledge of its workings gained when I was a teenager working after school for my father, in the engine reconditioning shop he managed in Nth. Queensland Aus.
I helped pull a few apart and reassemble them.
I was(am) building a steam locomotive from ME as well, and thought that I would just draw up the Lister crankcase and see if it could be fabricated as a future project. Well after trying to draw it and finding lots of dim,s missing in the mag, then having them sent to me by the designer/builder George Punter, I drew up some pieces and cut them out on a waterjet.

WJ parts.jpg

endplate and sump.jpg

I must say that JasonB has been instrumental in garnering info from George and ME during this build.
As you can see the base I drew is 4 7/8" exc. the 1/4" base, so it was 5 1/8" incl. the base. I used the 2" back/oil sump plate as the starting piece, then added the 2 sides, then the base.
I TIG welded the 1/8" plate cheek plates to the sides first, and then straightened them with an alum headed mallet!. Everything was easily aligned as all the holes were precision cut on the waterjet. The cuts were also very "square" so elaborate jigging was not required.
After tacking all pieces together, and checking squareness, it was TIG welded fully.
I used a 1/16 Tungsten and 75A DC.

Lister case.jpg

Lister quarter.jpg

New cover.jpg

Lister side 1.jpg

View attachment Crankcase sides .pdf

Last edited:
These are the cheek plates and front cover pieces from 1/8" MS plate.
The first crankcase I made had 8 bolts holding the front cover, it should only have had 4 so I remade the crankcase. The idler gear shaft was also incorrectly located, so it was easier at that point to make a new case. The new case is shown all ground up and smooth.

View attachment Crankcase doublers.pdf

View attachment Crankcase base.pdf

Cover finished.jpg

ground case back.jpg

New case all ground.jpg

All the fasteners are metric SS hex head bolts wherever possible that I purchased about 10 years ago from Fuller Metric here in Van. BC.
The case was clamped down to my First mill/drill and a flycutter was used to face the base off, then it was reversed and the base was clamped down to face off the cyl mounting face.
I then rotated it and laid it on its side, and used scrap anything to prop it up so I could machine the side bearing housing faces and line bore the bearing and cam locating bores.

Top cut.jpg

Base machined.jpg

Nice build, I like how the case is welded together then machined

I decided that the crankshaft should be next. I redrew it to workable sizes for me, 1/2" shaft with a 9/16' crankpin dia. We had cut some 5/8" T1 (100,000psi Tensile) plate here, and there was enough left over for me to cut out a blank.
I left some steps at the end to use as holding lugs and for the live center.
I laid it on a granite block, scribed a line up 5/16" flipped it and checked for 5/16 again, then found the center of the shaft blank and scribed it onto the center line of the plate. I then used a digital caliper to mark a point 17mm(.67) from the shaft c/l. I then used a center drill and drilled the 2 positions for my live center. Did the same on opp. end.
Put the blank in the 4 jaw and live center, used a dial gauge to get the "4 points" close to the chuck as close as possible to being true with the center, and proceeded to machine the throw.After the throw was to .5625 dia. and polished with 400 W&D, it was taken out, repositioned and a bearing shaft was machined to .500" dia. I then took it out, cut off the lug, flipped it around, put the machined shaft into a collet chuck and machined the other shaft using a center.

crank.jpg

crankshaft.jpg

View attachment crankshaft machining.pdf

Next on my agenda was the bearing housings. I cut them from 1" 6061 T6 Alum. I purposely made them so I could hold them in a 3 jaw for machining. The machining was a simple job, except for the fuel pump and oil pump mounts. That housing was a combination of lathe, mill, file and Dremel.

View attachment Bearing housing blanks.pdf

WJ Alum parts.jpg

Bearing housing.jpg

cam cover.jpg

Governor housing.jpg

Last edited:
The connecting rod was a fairly simple piece. I cut it from 6061-t6 Alum. The cap was drilled and the rod was threaded 3mmx.7. I drilled and reamed the big end and the pin end. It was setup in the 4 jaw and the tapered shaft was machined.The flair from the arm into the big end was filed and smoothed. I then drilled the rod and tapped the cap 4mm. I had not noticed that you cannot assemble it into the engine when the thread etc. is the other way!
The parts for the water jacket were cut and assembled and welded. It was then setup in the 4 jaw and the faces machined, and the sleeve recess was machined.
Dura-Bar was used to make the cylinder barrel, with the OD and the step made to suit the water jacket machining.

con rod step 1.jpg

Waterjacket welded.jpg

View attachment cyl barrel parts.pdf

Cyl Liner.jpg

Patrick, this is a very interesting build. I love those old Listers.
Nice welding and machine work.
GUS

Latest posts

Back