Liney Radial 'Halo'

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bogstandard

Has anyone seen or used this planset yet.

I don't want to go buying it if it is still in unproven state, as suggested by his web page comments.

John

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3E2tv8UgfU[/ame]

Hi John, I got the kit a few months ago and I've done some bits, the heads are a bit difficult to get my head around but they are well drawn and all the bits are there, I'm sure it was Lances intention for his plans to be a bit challenging but he is very helpful.

I'm convinced that it will run like the one in the video and I'm sure that it would be a breeze for you! :bow:

I built last year the RV2 and it ran first try!, it was great fun for me to do, here's mine if you didn't already see it.
boxerfullmf0.jpg

Giles

PK,

The one in the vid is in fact his proving prototype, as is the second vid he has released.

Giles,
Do your plans show the supposed square bases to the cylinders?

John

John, yes they do and the cylinders are one piece from square bar, which seems a bit odd to me but I guess he has his reasons, the crankcase has square seats milled out and each one has 4 bolts to hold it, looks nice though!

Giles

Thnks for that Giles, I think I will order the plans.

John

gilessim said:
Hi John, I got the kit a few months ago and I've done some bits, the heads are a bit difficult to get my head around but they are well drawn and all the bits are there, I'm sure it was Lances intention for his plans to be a bit challenging but he is very helpful.

Giles,

From looking at the video and pictures, I'm guessing that the intake valve mechanism consists of a round ball valve that get's pushed sideways by the "valve stem". Is that about right?

Chuck

Chuck, yes that's just about it, though it seems to be the steam or air that pushes the balls aside and the springs just hold the valve stems out of the way, the plans have a series of printed transparent sheets with the various parts overlaid one on top of the other, if you see what I mean!, it's very well thought out, I'd love to post them but we can't do Lance out of an income can we!, as I said ,I'm still not completely clear about the head/valve mechanism but I'll get there!.

Giles

Thanks, Giles. I respect Liney's intellectual property and, no, I wouldn't want to deprive anyone of payment for plans that I know a lot of hard work went in to. I may have to supplement my income with something similar when I retire! I think, from what I can see from the outside of the engine, the spring holds the intake valve ball in the closed position and the valve stem deflects the ball sideways away from the seat (towards the spring). This, of course is just from looking at the way the heads are assembled. Pretty darn clever, actually. I would never have thought of doing it that way.

Chuck

Plans ordered, waiting in anticipation.

Lance actually said it could be made in any configuration from one to five cylinders.

So it looks like fifteen cylinders are on the cards.

John

I ordered a set of his plans for the "Halo Engine" they took almost a month to get here. The plans are well done, but don't get in a hurry to get them, he takes his good old time to put them in the mail and they are sent by the slowest and cheapest rate possible.
I have some of the parts made, but there are some parts that will present quite a challenge.

Chuck, thanks for the reply! it is pretty clever, he must have lost some sleep thinking that one up!

John, at this point ,why not go for a double row 19 cylinder one?

Jack, mine only took about 10 days to get here to Italy but saying that, the "unknown machinist" in the customers gallery is me and I told him about 6 months ago and he didn't get round to changing it yet!.

Giles

Giles,

I wasn't talking about making them harder, but one of each, 1,2,3 etc cylinders, a total of 15 cylinders for all 5.
I will learn to walk before running.

John

I have seen a set of plans, and it all looks pretty straight forwards.

You can see the cnc design in it, and I am sure if you were into cnc, you would be able to bang one out in no time, especially if you had an nc rotary table.

Most of the hard work as I can see is not the heads, they are just a basic milling and drilling exercise. It is the planning of how to hold the bits in the correct sequence for machining. The cylinders spring to mind, with the thin square holdown area, then going to a round to have everthing else done. I can see that being the main stumbling block, maybe making a few drilling jigs will make it easier, with all the finning being done at the end.

John

Do you know what... ? I've seen that vid on you tube many, many times and I've only just realised that's a chuck as a flywheel!! :eek:
maybe it is just there to demo the speed? but it is strange how I never saw it before?!?!

Still awesome machine!! Don't think I'll ever get one of them made!

Ralph.

Ralph,

The vids don't show you how small the engine really is. It looks big and beefy, but just to show how it is, the pushrods are 1/16" diameter, and 1.4" long, and all the mounting bolts are 2-56 unc.

John

Well as the old saying goes ‘ignorance is bliss’ – which is probably why I am so happy most of the time. I have just received my set of plans from Lance for the Halo radial with the intention of building just a single cylinder version. I understand Lance built one of these to test out the head arrangement. In my case I was drawn to the design because of its similarity to a 4 stroke I.C. engine without the risk of setting my hair on fire.

Like Gilessim I find the drawings for the head a little tricky to understand though I do rely on photographs to clarify some of the detail. Clearly Bogstandard, like many of you can read plans, as easy as the daily newspaper and foresee machining problems well before the chips start flying. Now with alarm bells ringing at least I can now try and fathom out the problems that lay in wait when it comes to machining the cylinder – any other bogeys in the cupboard John ?

JohnS

John, Your talking 'old money' hold on a min'.... yep done the conversions, your right it is not that big! :big:
Still looks very intricate though.. .Would it be eaisier if it were larger?

Ralph.

P.S. I do know a little of this 'Imperial' system.... Just not the threads.... I know totally unacceptable! I blame 'Maggie'! ;)
Half metric, half imperial, no wonder I can't figure out how long things are! ;D

John,

We will have a big discussion on this in our usual way.
But planning a machining order is one of the first things to do when starting to make a fairly complicated part, you don't want to get to near the end of the machining, and find out that you can't hold the part or be able to set it up accurately enough to finish the job. As I have said before, I look at the part to be made, and plan the machining sequence out fully, and write it down. An hour or two doing that can save a lot of heartache later.

Ralph,

I am sorry, but if you buy something from the States, say a plan, you will find it is still in imperial. Also because this is mainly an American members site, you will find, even though I work in metric, I convert it to basic imperial so it is understood a lot easier by the majority of the members. Even though a lot of them are now becoming familiar with our metric system.

With reference to threads 2-56UNC is roughly equivalent to 8BA or 2.2MM.

To help you out I will put a little conversion chart in the downloads section so you can print it out and you will know what we are on about.

John

John,

Thank you for the chart. It is already printed and scheduled to be laminated and mounted on the wall of my shop asap!
It's not that I'm totally thick (not according to some!!) just I haven't applied myself to the research of the darker depths of the imperial (technical) system. I've never really had to before! I'll pick it up when I have to...easier now I have your chart and I won't have to ask too many more dumb questions ;D (well perhaps a few more!!)

Ralph.

Latest posts

Back