Last unbuilt Coles Corliss Steam Engine casting kit

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have built a Coles Corliss, finished about two years ago and sorry to say, I didn't keep build notes although I have a U-tube of the engine running (link below), some of the machining setups in a .pdf file and a few up front comments.
First comment: the drawings mostly call for #8 screws throughout. There are a few places where #8 screws are well suited but in many places either #5 or #6 screws are better suited. I used mostly 5-40 screws in many places. Second comment: Tolerances are not called out but I find it better to avoid close or tight fitting on most moving parts, avoiding too much friction.

OOPS, the .pdf machining file is 12Mb, unable to attach here, not sure how to post it! Ideas??

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNHhmQ5dN63eGhlTAS9ZTKQ

It would be great if you could find the time to put that knowledge down on paper.
I am in Australia, so I doubt I would ever get to one of your 'casting festivals'.
I guess I need to make an iron casting "white paper" in pdf format, and post that.
I never really found a good concise paper on "How to Melt and Cast Gray Iron in the Backyard", and so I was very confused about how to do it for years.

Pat J

I have built a Coles Corliss, finished about two years ago and sorry to say, I didn't keep build notes although I have a U-tube of the engine running (link below), some of the machining setups in a .pdf file and a few up front comments.
Your Corliss engine is superb!!! Beautiful job!

It would be great if you could find the time to put that knowledge down on paper.
I am in Australia, so I doubt I would ever get to one of your 'casting festivals'.
No reason we could not to a virtual cast iron festival, with today's technology.
We all fire our furnaces up at the same time, time zones allowing I guess.

Pat J

Where? I need HELP!
I have my own poor quality personal prints with changes that I don't exactly record. However I can send you a set of mag articles with build notes. (Oddly, I can't make head or tail or tale of them, I just build as I think it is easiest). Some of the build notes make sense to me but most I have a difficult time following. The mag has most of the dims properly (but I didded find a few missing).

As for my own, there are probbly LOTS of dims missing. However, if you print them off, they can be measured with a ruler, calipers, whatever.

Send me your email and I will send you whawt I have. I work tonight so it might be a day or twoo.

I have my own poor quality personal prints with changes that I don't exactly record. However I can send you a set of mag articles with build notes. (Oddly, I can't make head or tail or tale of them, I just build as I think it is easiest). Some of the build notes make sense to me but most I have a difficult time following. The mag has most of the dims properly (but I didded find a few missing).

As for my own, there are probbly LOTS of dims missing. However, if you print them off, they can be measured with a ruler, calipers, whatever.

Send me your email and I will send you whawt I have. I work tonight so it might be a day or twoo.
I appreciate your Help!
[email protected]

I also have a Cole’s Corliss casting kit. My father purchased it many years ago and built the governor for it. He lost interest in it and turned it all over to me. I started to work on it, then health issues got in the way. Now I am catching up with things and hope to get back to it this coming winter. Having said all this I have: complete set of castings, complete set of drawings, notes, timing information and a copy of the construction article from one of the modeling magazines. Be glad to share what I have.
I have a set of castings, for the Coles Corliss Steam Engine model.

Looking to purchase a complete set of Blue Prints.

Do you have a complete set of Blue Prints?

I have a set of castings, for the Coles Corliss Steam Engine model.

Looking to purchase a complete set of Blue Prints.

Do you have a complete set of Blue Prints?
I just tried to send you an email and your box is full. I think I can help you.
Contact me!

I was able to finally get my hands on what I believe is the last complete unbuilt casting kit to a Coles Corliss Steam Engine. I was a machinist for 34 years but I was only able to buy my own lathe and mill in the last two years and I'm still very short on tooling for them. So I havent started on it yet. I wanted to get all of my ducks in a row first. My question is, did the kit come with any building tips, instructions or timing instructions? And if anyone who has built one has any do's, don'ts, or tips for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Hmmm, April, 2024... I have the last one (Corliss Steam Engine kit) sitting on my work table. Anyone want it? [email protected]
Yes of course someone wants it. I already have two so really,I can't use another one. Well, maybe, no no, well maybe NO NO! Well . . .

Do you know there are three or four guys in this forum very close to you?

I have built the Coles Corliss and sad to say I didn't keep a 'do's and don't' list but one thing comes to mind:
The drawings I have called for 8-32 machine screws in too many places, particularly the cylinder assembly.
I used 5-40's and certainly would not use anything larger than 6-40's.
I would review all the screw sizes and adjust before starting.

Latest posts

Back