Laser pointer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paolo

Reaction score
Hi folks...someone, Thanks a lot anyway, some days ago wrote an URL of laser dealer...I visited the site..and bought two laser unit. One Cross line red laser and a dot red laser. After a dozen of days Items where delivered to my door. I started a project for a shell...but it wasn't so easy....after about two weeks that is the result...Two prototypes this evening finally worked..perfectly... An AutoCAD drawing had been traced...
During the adjustment
DSC01226.jpg

Working
DSC01225.jpg

DSC01224.jpg

DSC01223.jpg

Very bad news.
DSC01220.jpg

The two...
DSC01229.jpg

more
DSC01231.jpg

My eyes, My eyes, I'm blinded by the laser.

Seriously, cool project. What kind of accuracy can you achieve when you center an object or line up the mill over a scribed line.

I hadn't seen the cross style laser before. That one would seem to be more useful in the application than the typical spot style. Could you repost the site where you found it?

Steve

I bought 4 of these cross haired lasers [ and no it's not a breed of dog ] for $16.08 from Deal extreme, do a google.

That included postage from China ??? :eek:

I fitted two on the head of the CNC router at 45 degrees and you raise the head to bring them into line under the tool.
A bit like the bomb aimer on the Dambuster's raid ;D

I reckon I can get to about 5 thou which is plenty good enough for my router, still plenty good enough for most jobs on the mill as the accuracy is usually from where you start.

laser1.jpg

Both lasers but with my finger over one.

laser2.jpg

head too low.

laser3.jpg

Zero point, in real life the laser is not as wide as in the pic, it must be a camera effect.

[EDIT] the advantage of this is you don't have to remove a tool to fit the laser to the spindle, as a guide the tracks on the MDF board from old brush rings out of big DC motors are 3mm wide.

Thanks for your appreciation!! :bow: The precision, which is possible to obtain, depends from the distance between the emitter and the target, considering its reflecting capacity. If you use, with the maximum accuracy, the focusing knob you can obtain a dot, more or less, 0.3 mm in diameter (about 1/100 inch) over a steel medium finished surface. The cross is a little bit narrow then the dot. You can estimate it, looking at picture, considering the vise vide measurement is 10 cm. I’m thinking to use the laser in that way… for ex the dot, in my opinion, is most useful on the lathe for live center alignment and centering the piece on the independent chuck. The cross will be used mostly on the mill for centering the hole…or vise and piece alignment.. We can see in the future…!! For the truth I encountered some difficulties doing the shell for this laser modules do to the lack of precision in the focusing treat knob. :-\ :-\
The dealer is www.dealextreme.com and is true..The price including the postage..!!!

Holy Cow!!... those are really priced right. At those prices one could afford to do lots of experimentation.

Steve

I too bought 3 of these units. Good quality and a no hassle purchase. I'll be experimenting with them in the near future.

Steve

I picked up a little magnetic pointer to play with as well. It seems pretty good for rough-centering work in the 4-jaw.

Latest posts

Back