Kiwi Mk2 Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoyable thread Vince. I look forward to seeing it run.

But I gotta say...in Munich...spending time in a hotel? Poring over plans?
That just doesn't seem right. ;D
Says a lot about your interest in machining.

Thanks zeeprogrammer for the interest.

But I gotta say...in Munich...spending time in a hotel? Poring over plans?
That just doesn't seem right.

I have to admit that even my wife makes the same comments. :-[

I am not good at being a tourist. I just go there to get the job done. Infact next week I have a two week stint in Paris and it's going to be the same story. Go to the sim and back to the hotel.

Well, this evening I finished cleaning up the crankshaft and balance weights and polished the journals. Oiled the journals, put the crank in the crankcase, and gave it a 15 minute run in the lathe. Turns nicely. My first crankshaft is finished. 22 days to make!!

DSCF0344.JPG

DSCF0345.JPG

Ah, crankshafts are a thing of absolute beauty. Yours is a particularly fine example. Nice work!

Chuck

As I will be going abroad in a weeks time, I don't intend to start working on any major component and leave it half finished. Instead I might do small things and maybe some planning on how to proceed. One thing I will do for sure is clean up the garage and put many tools in place, which I started doing this morning.

Another thing I did this morning was have a second look at how to bolt the two crankcase halves together. At the moment I am using Allen head bolts which I find convenient when assembling and disassembling the crankcase, but on an old engine as this one (1960 era) they look out of place. So my initial plan was to use studs and nuts instead. Well this morning I thought, how would hex head bolts look? So I put an Allen head bolt, a hex head bolt and a stud and nut in the crankcase (see photo) to compare the three solutions together. The big bolt above the stud is the oil drain plug. Looking at it, I am now leaning on using hex head bolts which will also match the oil drain plug. What do you think guys?

DSCF0346.JPG

Hi Vince
Crank is looking great mate as is the rest of your build.
If it was my engine id use the studs as the extra detail is nice and makes it clear that this is a drain plug 8)
my two cents is, id want the drain plug a little different but its worth what you paid for it ;D
Pete

Pete

Thanks for your input. What you said never crossed my mind. OK, 1 vote for studs. Anybody else?

Vince

I like the stud or the bolt..either way..but my personal preference would be to crown and polish the bolt or stud...instead of leaving it flat.

It's nice to know you have grade 5 hardware, but the ID's on the head detract I thin.

Just my opinion....it's your engine! ;D

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Two votes for studs and one vote for hex bolt.

Dave, I am sorry if I am a bit obtuse but remember that English is not my native language. When you say crown and polish the bolt, am I correct in my understanding, that it means remove the markings on the head of the bolt and then polish the resultant flat surface??

Vince

Vince, nice work. That crankshaft looks wonderful.

I'd go for studs but as said it's your engine. ;D ;D

Ron

hay Vince
what u recon about making the the drain plug out of brass hex?
Pete

Thanks Dave for the explanation.

Thanks Ron for your vote. Score at the moment is three votes for studs and one vote for bolt. Seems I need to go back to the original plan of using studs.

Vince

p.s. Pete, yes that is also possible.

No worries Vince! Build and we will watch! ;D

Dave

Today I made a 4mm stud from 4mm bar stock BMS (photo 1). It really looked good (photo 2). I tried it out and it was obvious this was not going to work well. I was having problems aligning both crankcase castings when the stud was used. So that method didn't work as well as I had hoped.

Next, I used 4mm threaded rod. Did not look as good as the first stud I made (photo 3) but it worked well.

DSCF0347.JPG

DSCF0348.JPG

DSCF0349.JPG

And this is how it looks with all the studs in place. Used a spring washer under each nut.

DSCF0350.JPG

DSCF0351.JPG

As I said in an earlier post, this week I would be doing only minor things on the Kiwi. Next week I will be away from the island for about a forthnight and as such I don't want to start any major component and leave it half finished.

What I did today is I took the cast iron that came with the kit for the cylinder liner and I roughed the OD to remove the hard surface. Westbury recommends doing this and then letting it rest for a while to remove internal stresses. I did this using an insert tool to get through the hard surface. Strangely enough, the surface did not seem that hard. When this was done, I sprayed it with WD40 and repacked it in the box. It's going to have a lot of time to 'rest'.

DSCF0352.JPG

The cast iron you got in the kit is quite likely a piece of continuous-cast normalized and annealed cast iron barstock. That stuff almost guaranteed to have better machining qualities than the c.i. that Westbury had to deal with 75 years ago or whatever it was. It shouldn't have any internal stresses or hard skin to speak of.

You may want to consider making "small pattern" nuts. I don't know if the metric system has an equivalent, but here in the U.S. there are "large pattern" and "small pattern" nuts. You'll need to translate this concept into metric if you decide to pay attention to it, but that shouldn't be difficult.

Large pattern nuts are the type commonly available for machine screws, so if you scale a 1" diameter bolt down to 1/8" (0.125") diameter (which happens to be #5 machine screw), the commonly available nuts for #5 machine screws won't be correctly scaled to correspond.

The nuts you typically buy for #5 machine screws are large pattern and 5/16" (0.3125") across the flats. A standard nut for a 1" diameter bolt, however, is "small pattern" and is 1.5" a/f. Scale that down to 1/8 and the scale nut should be small pattern and only 3/16" (0.1875") a/f. Of course you could be modeling a "heavy pattern" nut for a 1" bolt, which is 1 5/8" (1.625" a/f), in which case a 1/8 scale nut wold be 13/64" (0.203125") a.f....

When I made the bolts and nuts for Kiwi, I guessed that Kiwi was about 1/4" scale of a comparable prototype, so with the aid of Machinery's Handbook and some guesses I figured out the scale bolt and nut head sizes for Kiwi's bolts and nuts and made them based on that.

As a side issue, if the 1" diameter bolt one is scaling down is 8 threads per inch, at 1/8 scale the bolt ought to be 64 tpi, and a #5 machine screw is only 40 tpi. The thread pitch, however, is not anywhere near as noticeable as the nut proportions when making it look "right." Using fine instead of coarse threads helps.

Steve

Thanks for the heads up on the c.i. This was the first time I turned c.i. and from what I read from Westbury's article and also from comments on this forum I thought it was not going to be easy, hence the insert tool. At the end of the day no problems were encountered and it machined nicely.

Thanks also for the tip on the pattern nuts.

Vince

Your engine is looking really nice. You're doing a great job on it.

Latest posts

Back