Kerzel Hit and Miss

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next is the connecting rod. First I drilled and reamed the holes for the wrist pin and crank. I also drilled four 1/8" holes that I will use later when milling the sides.
CIMG5153.jpg

Using a 1/2" end mill I milled out each end to form the inside radius of the ends.
CIMG5156.jpg

Then milled down the middle section, flipped and repeated on the other side.
CIMG5157.jpg

I used drill bits in the 1/8" holes to clamp the piece at the correct angle.
CIMG5159.jpg

Then milled out the middle section. Flipped over and repeated.
CIMG5160.jpg

Then rounded and profiled the ends on the rotary table.
CIMG5167.jpg

Here is the finished connecting rod.
CIMG5168.jpg

This weekend I made the head. First turned the shape.
CIMG5172.jpg

Then on the mill I drilled all the bolt holes, spark plug hole, and valve holes.
CIMG5173.jpg

Then used two drill bits to locate it properly in the mill vise to drill the intake and exhaust holes.
CIMG5175.jpg
CIMG5176.jpg

Here is the finished head.
CIMG5179.jpg

Here are the completed valve guides and valves.
CIMG5183.jpg
CIMG5189.jpg

Really enjoying your build. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Beautiful looking engine. I am still following with interest.

Jim

Looking very swoopy---I like it.---Brian
Thanks Brian. I've never heard the term swoopy before, but I will take it as a compliment.

Really enjoying your build. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Beautiful looking engine. I am still following with interest.

Jim
Thanks guys, glad you are enjoying the build.

Would be great to this engine running.
I agree Gus. I too would like to see this running but I still have a lot more parts to make.

Today was another first for me. I decided to try to make some intake valve springs. I made an insert to fit in my dial test indicator holder that has a point on one end and a .020 hole through it. I fed a piece of .010 spring wire through the insert and wrapped it around the shank of a no.28 drill bit. While hand turning the chuck I fed the carriage by hand for the first few wraps, then with the lathe threading gears set for 16 TPI I engaged the half nuts to feed the middle part. Then disengaged the half nuts and again hand fed a few wraps. After removing from the lathe and trimming of the extra wraps they look pretty good. I am not sure if I will relax them in a oven or not. Is this necessary?
CIMG5197.jpg
CIMG5195.jpg
CIMG5201.jpg

Swoopy is a compliment. It refers to the Art Deco look of the curves in the frame. You are doing a great job.---Brian

Nice looking springs Weez, I have been experimenting with a spring winding insert for my tangential tool holder.

I wil continue the experiments when I get home from Cabin Fever (still going, now in Nashville).

Jim

Thanks Jim. I was surprised at how easy it was to make springs. Good luck with yours.

Today I made the tension springs for the governor. I set the change gears up for 96 TPI which is the closest I could get to the desired pitch of .010"(the width of the wire). Then I wound a length of about an inch on a .093" diameter mandrel.
CIMG5202.jpg

Then trimmed to length and bent over the end two turns to make the eyes.
CIMG5205.jpg

Here are the final batch of springs including the .010" intake, .014" exhaust, and .020" cam follower springs.
CIMG5207.jpg

With summer here I have not had much shop time but I finally completed one more piece, a flywheel. After turning to size I used the rotary table to mill out the recess. I prefer to do this on the mill instead of the lathe.
CIMG5244.jpg

Then drill all the holes that make up the inner part of the spokes.
CIMG5245.jpg

Mill the top arcs of the cutouts.
CIMG5248.jpg

Mill both sides of the spokes.
CIMG5252.jpg

And the finished part. It needs a little cleaning/polishing but I think it turned out well. Now I need to make another one.
CIMG5256.jpg

Reactions: gus
Fantastic job Weez
I think one of the best things with the Kerzel Hit and Miss is that when you’re done it really is a great looking engine. Keep up the good work. I’ll be tagging along

Awesome work Weez! Nice spring winding too. I did mine manually on a threaded rod as per Kerzel and it was a bit tricky. In the end I used steel guitar strings which worked fine but I did have to play around with the inlet valve spring to get it to work just right. Keep up the posts ! :)

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I am glad you are enjoying the build. Progress has been slow since summer is here. I got the second flywheel done which should be the last of the larger parts.
CIMG5261.jpg

Back