Kerzel Hit and Miss

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And now the gas tank. I cut a length of 1" copper pipe and faced off both ends. I did not have any large enough round stock so I had to make the ends of the tank out of 1/4" by 1 1/2" rectangular bar. I turned a small boss that fits inside the pipe.
CIMG5572.jpg

Then soldered on the end cap, trimmed off the corners with a hack saw, and mounted in the lathe.
CIMG5574.jpg

I turned down the brass ends and used some 400 grit sandpaper to clean up the ends and polish the copper.
CIMG5576.jpg

Here is the tank and the mounts. I still need to make the filler and outlet ports.
CIMG5578.jpg

Gus, I always hold the pipe in my milling vice on the ends, I can get a 6"opening, I then drill a pilot hole and follow with a milling cutter.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Your method is best and risk/fool proof. I took the risk drilling on the drill press but drill was regrind for brass and copper(hopefully) and got away when drill broke through w/o snatching.Holding the copper pipe lengthwise in the vice was not best idea too. Neither was vice clamped to drill press.
May not this lucky for next job.

IMG_1980.jpg

Last edited:
After about 220 hours of work over the past 11 months, I have completed my build of Kerzel's Hit and Miss. This was my first IC engine and I am very pleased with how it turned out.
CIMG5606.jpg
CIMG5608.jpg
CIMG5612.jpg
CIMG5613.jpg
CIMG5617.jpg
CIMG5621.jpg

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_GUp5UXmxE[/ame]

Hi Weez,

One more engine on my '' build list''. Run very well and very classy finishing. Will hours of joy just looking at it for many years.

Latest posts

Back