Kel's Poppin Double

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Bob.

No apologies needed.

Maryak said:
Your engine is as sweet as a virgin's breath.

Best Regards
Bob

That is mighty sweet indeed. Thanks!!

Kel

Kel,

Not about the engine, but your blast cabinet.

Get a 100 watt light bulb and holder, mount it in a tin can with a few holes in it and hang it underneath the bottom of the cabinet, with the bulb facing upwards, under where the blast medium is. That should dry it out in no time.

You can buy low wattage greenhouse heaters that do the same job, and are left switched on permanently, to ensure you always have a dry blast medium.

Even though I don't have a cabinet blaster, just a large and small self contained guns, I keep my very fine glass bead blast inside the house, just to make sure it stays dry.

Bogs

Great Idea Bogs.

Thanks

Kel

Kel, just great work,sounds great, really appreciate your detailed information. Larry1

kcmillin said:
I really like the look of sandblasted metal, almost casting like.

Kel

Agreed, I think it can look quite like a casting as well. I originally set up a sand blaster at home for a crossbow I was building and I can tell you it took quite some time to sand blast virtually every part! Blasting small stuff like this is a breeze!

Vic.

Fantastic Kel, well done, I can't believe the power of your single too for such a small flame licker turning that assembly over is a feat in itself.

Nick :bow:

Nice job Kel.

another beauty, nicely executed!

Looking GREAT Kel!

I had missed the test run video with it being powered by the single Poppin.
That is amazing to me. When my Poppin was running it barely had enough
power to keep it's self going.

Rick

Thanks Larry, Vic, Nick, Kevin, and Rick!!!.

Hey that rhymes :big: :big:

I'm still waiting for my sandblasting agent to dry, so have not been able to finish all the parts. I managed to get the springs made today.

I have been working on a job for a friend. Some new bar mounts for his dirt bike. So I have not had much time to get the finishes done.

However, I have been running the engine whenever I am in the shop. No real complaints so far, other than the occasional valve replacement, or repositon, its been great. The brass and graphite combo Is a real winner in my opinion. No lube required to keep her running. A real plus for an engine that might sit on someones desk.

Kel

I have been working on getting the finishes done. I decided against powder coating (mostly because they stopped selling the powder at Sears) and went with high temp paint from the auto store.

CIMG1148.jpg

I made the base like all the others I have in the past. I used Walnut for the outside and maple for the middle. The entire thing is held together with nothing more than brass pins pressed into the wood. (those are the little yellow dots on the base)

CIMG1134.jpg

I made the burners from little brass bits in the shop. I wanted them to be adjustable so I put little handles on the so I could turn them.
CIMG1138.jpg

In the bottom of this pic you can see the "Filler Hole" for the alcohol tank.
CIMG1135.jpg

Here you can see the under side of the base. I made the tank from sheet brass, and connected the filler hole with some copper tube. I used ordinary electrical solder to put it together.

CIMG1139.jpg

Here is a pic of the flywheel, cam, and follower.
CIMG1137.jpg

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X_7b6T7D1T4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X_7b6T7D1T4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Thats it!............

......for now.

Kel

Kel,

What an awesome engine.

I really like the base, the brass pins provide a nice contrast to the wood.

The whole package looks great.

SAM

Great video, Kel! Music and all. The engine looks just great.
You have a little too much talent for one guy, you know.

The two burners really do make a good throttle device, too.

Thanks! ;D

Dean

Very, very nice Kel. Poppins and Sterlings amaze me.

Like the wood base too.

Ron

Beautiful design, and build, on your engine.
Very well informative build thread as well.

That came out great Kel :bow: - congratulations !

Regards, Arnold

Thanks Sam, Dean, Ron, Nick, Hobby, and Arnold!!
I appreciate all your comments and kind words.

Sam, I am a big fan of brass and dark wood. Just like your beam engine, very nice contrasts. Although when I made the base I did not use any wood saws persay, I rough cut with my metal bandsaw and just stuck it in the mill like a chunk of aluminum and used an end mill to finish the pieces to size. (No room in my shop for woodworking tools)

Dean, My piano mashing skill are a bit sub-par, but I do love to create. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Onto the next project.

Kel

Very nice Kel. Beautiful job and I like the base too.

kcmillin said:
My piano mashing skill are a bit sub-par, but I do love to create. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Onto the next project.

Ah, I caught the "Original score by yours truly" and wondered. Nice!

And he next project is?

kcmillin said:
Dean, My piano mashing skill are a bit sub-par, but I do love to create. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Kel, if you can pick out your own compositions on any instrument, you're better off
than me. About the only thing I can play is the radio.

I did enjoy it.

Dean

Thanks Zee and Dean.

Zee, I will answer your question with a photograph.

Can you guess what it will be?
CIMG1178.jpg

Kel

Back